turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

complicatedtaxno
Returning Member

Had turbo tax online for years now have bus desktop. I can't find depreciation breakdowns for previous years just totals. Can prev. years data be transferred to desktop?

Turbo tax business desktop version is asking me for detailed equipment breakdowns for purchases and depreciation, which is fine for the first year, but confusing in subsequent years when I can just find total depreciation and not a break down or a worksheet for how they got the total. It would be easiest if I could just import previous years into the desktop version...
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

9 Replies

Had turbo tax online for years now have bus desktop. I can't find depreciation breakdowns for previous years just totals. Can prev. years data be transferred to desktop?

@ complicatedtaxno wrote:
Turbo tax business desktop version is asking me for detailed equipment breakdowns for purchases and depreciation, which is fine for the first year, but confusing in subsequent years when I can just find total depreciation and not a break down or a worksheet for how they got the total. It would be easiest if I could just import previous years into the desktop version...

"have business desktop"

What product is that?    Are you referring to Home and Business Edition for preparing a Schedule C (self-employed/sole proprietor) in your personal tax return?   Or are you referring to the dedicated TurboTax Business Edition (partnerships, corporations, etc.)?

Are you asking how to download the *.tax2018 data file from your Online TurboTax account to transfer your 2018 data into 2019 desktop Home and Business Edition?    If so, we can tell you how to do that once you clarify with answers to my question above.

And if you are using Home and Business Edition, are you using the Mac or Windows version of the desktop software?

complicatedtaxno
Returning Member

It is the TurboTax Business Edition. I am asking how to transfer the 2018 data into the TurboTax Business Edition. I have already downloaded the .tax2018 file. We changed our PLLC to be taxed as an s-corp in 2019, so it is the first time I have used the TurboTax Business Edition.

The TurboTax Business Edition is asking me about all of the prior depreciations from previous tax years, and I do not have good personal records of that. I guess I assumed that Turbo Tax would keep worksheets or the information I had previously entered? Are there not accessible documents about the breakdowns for previous years' depreciation?

Sorry you have to start new.  You can not transfer from a personal version or the online version into the separate Business program.  One is for Business and all the rest are for personal returns.  Not even from the online Self Employed version of the Desktop Home & Business program.

complicatedtaxno
Returning Member

Do you know if there is a way to access breakdowns of depreciation totals for past years? I can get the totals from previous years, but not the information of what those totals are calculated from.

@complicatedtaxno wrote:

Do you know if there is a way to access breakdowns of depreciation totals for past years? I can get the totals from previous years, but not the information of what those totals are calculated from.

Can you download a PDF of your 2018 personal tax return?  And if so, is it a full PDF with all the worksheets?

If it has all the worksheets, there should be the following:

Depreciation Report (which tracks your depreciation)
Form 4562: Depreciation & Amortization
(Possibly) AMT Depreciation Report.

amandhillon1
Returning Member

Do we really have to do all of our taxes over from scratch now? Took me days to get the Mac download working after strange download issues. Now that Im sitting STILL TRYING to do my taxes I notice none of my prior year info is here.

I hate this. This is such BS. I just want to do my dang taxes without having to start all over again.

Why didn't you guys make this easier? I hate that we can't even call them. Customer service has been horrible and trying to do taxes is a huge waste of time with them. Might as well go to H&R Block if I am going to do this all over again.

Someone please help me figure out how to import my old information. If I have to spend over 30 min trying to figure this out Im asking for a refund and going to H&R Block. Entire reason I come back to Turbo Tax is that my information is already filled in. Each time I have put time aside to do my taxes I can't. 

We have resorted to blog posts for customer service. I hate this age we live in and this horrible customer service you offer.

You are trying to do a 2019 return on your Mac?  You need to have the file ending in .tax2018 on your computer to transfer into 2019.  Do you have that file?  Did you use the Online version for 2018?  You should be able to download the .tax2018 file from Online to Transfer into 2019 on your computer.  You can only transfer at the very beginning before you start, so you may need to start a new 2019 return to transfer into.  Go up to FILE - NEW.

How to Transfer into the Mac program.  This is for 2020 but is the same for 2019.  Just change the years.

https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/tax-data-file/help/how-do-i-transfer-last-year-s-return-into-the-t... 

amandhillon1
Returning Member

I did file with Turbo Tax in 2018 and they are not letting me click on the file. I cannot even believe this. Do they want money for me to see my 2018 return? i am literally so so so so disappointed. I cant believe how shady Turbo Tax is. 

Zero live customer support.

Have to make a forum post for each question.

Took all of our data so we can't import it.

I still can't do my taxes. I might as well start over somewhere. I cant believe I am so late to do my taxes and this is about the 10th time I have sat down to do it. This is a JOKE!

You should be able to do all that.   Did you use the Online version for 2018 or the Desktop CD/download program?  Can you log into your 2018 account?  You don't need to pay to get your 2018 return or file.

You can call support.

Contact Customer Service
5am-5pm Pacific Time Monday -Friday
https://support.turbotax.intuit.com/contact/

What is the Turbo Tax phone number
https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/using-turbotax/help/what-is-the-turbotax-phone-number/00/25632

If you can't get your 2018 file,  It's common to end up with multiple accounts. First LOG OUT of whatever TurboTax account you're logged into right now. Then use this TurboTax account recovery website to get a list of user ID's for an email address. Run the tool against any email addresses you may have used
https://myturbotax.intuit.com/account-recovery/

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies