Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Got a letter from IRS stating that I owe more than what was owed per my return

I got a letter from IRS stating that I owe more than what was owed per my amended return.  I logged into my account and downloaded my record of account tax transcript.  The record of account transcript only lists the information on the original return and that they assessed additional tax.  It does not show details of where they are saying the error was on the amended return so that I can check if I made a mistake. 

Should that record of account list the details of the amended return and the changes they made?  Do I have to call them to find out what they changed or do they usually send that information with the letter in the mail?  I had this happen many years ago and they had given details in the letter at that time.

Thanks. 

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
MichelleLO
Intuit Alumni

If the IRS makes any changes to your return, they will send a letter with a detailed explanation regarding those changes.  For specific questions about your return, you would need to speak to the IRS directly.  You can contact them by following the steps in this help article: How do I contact the Internal Revenue Service (IRS)? 

@tonybeo

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

View solution in original post

17 Replies

I got a letter from the IRS stating I owed another $2K plus. When I checked the numbers on my return, I had the same numbers they did, but Turbo Tax said I was due a refund and the IRS says I owe the extra money. It appears Turbo Tax screwed up my taxes.  What I paid in taxes was the $2K plus less than what was owed by both the IRS and Turbo Tax.

Please explain exactly how you think TT "screwed up." And what was your reason for amending?

MichelleLO
Intuit Alumni

For assistance with understanding the letter you received, please see the below TurboTax help article. 

I got a letter or notice from the IRS

You can also visit the TurboTax Audit Support Center by clicking here for help with your letter. 

I didn't amend anything.

The numbers in Turbo Tax match the IRS numbers but Turbo Tax showed a refund while the IRS shows I owe money.  After searching, I finally found a customer service number and got a great woman who helped me.  She explained it had to do with the Recovery Rebate and something was wrong there. I am now waiting for a call from the IRS.

Unless you are in the know with the IRS, there is nowhere on the Turbo Tax website that give any type of answer when you use the search box.  The search box comes back with replies that don't match your question.

HeatherPLO
Intuit Alumni

The IRS will need to advise you on this.  I see you are waiting on a call from them, and you can also follow the instructions from @MichelleLO as well.  

@Hillrun1

Thanks.  Do you have any comments on the questions I asked in the second paragraph of my question?

MichelleLO
Intuit Alumni

If the IRS makes any changes to your return, they will send a letter with a detailed explanation regarding those changes.  For specific questions about your return, you would need to speak to the IRS directly.  You can contact them by following the steps in this help article: How do I contact the Internal Revenue Service (IRS)? 

@tonybeo

Michelle,

Wouldn't they have made the explanations to the changes they made on the CP-22A letter that they sent where they notified me of amount due or would there be a separate letter detailing the changes?

Thanks.

SForrestLO
Intuit Alumni

Turbo Tax will not know this information.  Please contact the IRS for additional information. 

How do I contact the Internal Revenue Service (IRS)?
https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/irs/help/how-do-i-contact-the-internal-revenue-service-irs/00/2594...

@tonybeo

I have this problem as well.  TT desktop says I get a Fed refund of ~1,300.  I just received a letter from IRS saying I owe ~500 plus interest.  The letter says, "We changed the amount claimed as Recovery Rebate Credit on your tax return..."

They supplied 5 possible reasons. The only one that applies is, "The amount was computed incorrectly.  Why would TT compute the wrong number when my software is up to date?  I'm concerned I can't trust TT any longer.

Who do I believe, the IRS or TT?  Please help me understand how to best deal with the IRS.  Should I pay, or trust TT and fight the IRS?

John

@jkeeter

LOTS of people have made mistakes this year with the recovery rebate credit by "forgetting" that they received the $1400 per person stimulus checks last year.  They answered no to the questions for the  recovery recovery rebate credit and put the $1400 per person on line 30 of their returns.  But you cannot get it twice, so the IRS removes it when it is there by mistake.

Try checking your online account with the IRS

https://www.irs.gov/payments/your-online-account

Does the IRS show that you received a $1400 stimulus or EIP check in 2021?   Did you receive it?   When you were asked on your tax return did you say no?   Was there $1400 on line 30 of your tax return?

If the IRS says you got $1400 last year but you did not receive it you can have it traced.

LOST THIRD STIMULUS CHECK

https://www.irs.gov/newsroom/questions-and-answers-about-the-third-round-economic-impact-payment-top...

If you need to trace a payment that the IRS says has been issued to you, mail or fax a completed IRS Form 3911, Taxpayer Statement Regarding Refund.

**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**

You must have an amount of 1040 Line 30 for the Recovery Rebate Credit.

1400 is for the 3rd Stimulus payment for each person.  It is on 1040 line 30.   Line 30 is only if you didn't get the full amount or qualify for more. 

If you claimed a missing stimulus payment on your return but the IRS took it off you have to ask the IRS. They think they already sent it to you.  Maybe it went to an account you don't remember. Or you got a check or a card. It was probably easy to miss the debit card in the mail and think it was junk mail. They have to put a trace on it.

Double check your bank statements and Check your IRS account to see when and what they sent you (check both spouse's accounts if married)

Your Online Account | Internal Revenue Service

If the IRS thinks they sent it to you but you didn't get it request a trace for a missing third Stimulus payment

https://www.irs.gov/newsroom/questions-and-answers-about-the-third-economic-impact-payment-topic-j-p...Your Online Account | Internal Revenue Service

I been waiting May 21, will be a year I am still waiting for last years ‼️‼️‼️‼️ It was about $6780.00 it was very close or this is the right amount, five or take a few dollars! I called everywhere! No one helps me !!! 

FIGHT TT THEY TOOK PAYMENT OUT OF MY TAXES !!!!! But , I NEVER GOT MY TAXES !!!!! Trust me it is a nightmare!! One time they tell me to go to the IRS . Then I’m being told it’s Turbo Tax  error!!! I just would like to get my tax return that’s all nothing less nothing more they were able to take it out which I thought Turbo Tax was free but they took out like 70 some dollars OK well where’s the rest of my refund we’re talking  $6000.00 , plus ‼️‼️ I’ll never use TT AGAIN IN MY LIFE ‼️‼️‼️‼️ I’m so broke !! I needed that return , 🤦‍♀️ smh!!!

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies