turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

Form 8915F-T for TY 2022 filing in 2023 -recent post

Isn't it funny - No one from TurboTax has anything to say!!!

MoniqueLO_
Intuit Alumni

This issue has been resolved. Please see this discussion thread and the reply from Tax Expert, DanaB27 to fix Form 8915-F rejection code.

If you need additional assistance, please feel free to contact Customer Support so you can speak with a TurboTax representative who can assist you. 

@PacoakaJT 

Sure - It's fixed.  

Thanks Monique. 

Followed the steps and it got me a bit further in the process and brought the form up.

But as I worked through all of the steps toward the end I now get the message that I need “part 1 of 8915F which is not finalized and will be in an upcoming release. “

Now what?

MoniqueLO_
Intuit Alumni

Please feel free to contact Customer Support so you can speak with someone who can assist you.

@PacoakaJT 

I'm currently using an updated version of turbotax deluxe desktop, I have entered all 1099-R information and answered all disaster retirement questions with a NO, but yet when I do my smart review the one error I get is the 8915-F form that comes up.  I have double checked all information, I didn't check any boxes that would have given me the 8915-F form.  I have deleted all 1099-R and reloaded them and still get the same error.  But, when I get the 8915-F form in smart review it doesn't allow me to make any changes.  What do i need to do in order to get my taxes filed?

Today is April 7, what do I need to do in order to bypass this form and file my taxes?

DanaB27
Expert Alumni

You will need to delete the "Qualified 2020 Disaster Retirement Distribution and Repayment Worksheet"  (8915E wks) to remove Form 8915-F if you don't have any disaster distributions.

In TurboTax Desktop:

1. Switch to Forms mode on the top
  2. Scroll down and select "8915E wks"
  3. Click "delete" and confirm the deletion
  4. Switch to Step-by-Step and run the smart check again (you don't need to go back into the retirement section).

In TurboTax Online:

1. Open or continue your return in TurboTax.
  2. In the left menu, select "Tax Tools" and then "Tools".
  3. In the pop-up window Tool Center, select "Delete a form".
  4. Select "Delete" next to "Qualified 2020 Disaster Retirement Distr" and follow the instructions (you don't need to go back into the retirement section).

@tirepressure 

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

Answers like this do not inspire confidence. Manually deleting a form that may be carrying over data from a previous tax year is questionable. And then adding “don’t go back into the retirement section” seems that we could be missing something else. These are poor work arounds to a catastrophic failure in the program. If you delete the form can it be re-generated? The first year in which this data was used was 2020 and then it is over 3 years so 2022 is still in scope for including the reported taxable amount. 

DanaB27
Expert Alumni

Yes, you can easily add Form 8915-F by going into the retirement section if you need to report the 3rd portion of the 2020 Covid distribution. The previous user didn't take any disaster distributions and didn't need Form 8915-F. He had entered all Form 1099-Rs and therefore had no reason to go back to the retirement section after deleting Form 8915-F.

Please follow these steps to report the 3rd portion of the COVID distribution or any repayment:

1. Login to your TurboTax Account 
  2. Click on the "Search" on the top and type “1099-R”  
  3. Click on “Jump to 1099-R” 
  4. If you do not have any 2022 1099-R answer "No" to "Did you get a 1099-R in 2022?" (If you have any other 1099-R then enter all 1099-R and after entering your last 1099-R click "Continue" on the “Review your 1099-R info​​​​​​​” screen)
  5. Answer "Yes" to the "Have you ever taken a disaster distribution before 2022?" screen
  6. Answer "Yes" to "Did you take a 2020 Qualified Disaster Distribution?"
  7. Check the box next to "If this was a Coronavirus-related distribution reported in 2020 check here", enter your information from your 2021 Form 9815-F, and then continue.

@Bec3a 

I tried to file taxes April 7, form 8915F-T seems to be filled correctly (have Qualified Disaster distribution starting 2020).

TurboTax takes my $$ for filing, at the end says there is problem with form 8915F-T. I understand "-T" stands fpr temporary, the form looks fine to me, why it's still temporary ?

As of yesterday it says the form still needs to be updated, it says so on April 7.

WHAT A JOKE.

AliciaP1
Expert Alumni

If you are using a desktop version of TurboTax, you may need to update your software.  If you're on a PC, open TurboTax and select Check for Updates from the Online menu near the top. On a Mac, simply quit and reopen TurboTax. If there are any updates, you'll be prompted to download them.

@alaskanka 

I have the federal taxes done with the 8915 F-T but I can't get it to update the state (Iowa).  It usually updates when you open desk top but it's done updating and it still doesn't work.   Can you answer what we do, do I print out the Iowa return and fill in the info manually, as it won't let me override the form.  Or, is there a fix coming before the deadline? 

I'm using desktop version, which tries to get updated every time I start it.

Am I expected still to update manually ?

It's crazy.

MoniqueLO_
Intuit Alumni

Please feel free to contact Customer Support so you can speak with a TurboTax representative who can assist you.

@Maris921 

@alaskanka 

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies