Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

Form 1040SR is defaulted. How do I use/print F-1040? Yes I am over 65yo.

Sorry not in the online version.  

The 1040SR is new starting in 2019.  It is the same as the regular 1040 just larger type and the Standard Deduction chart is added to page 1.  But has the same line numbers.    You automatically get the SR if you or your spouse are 65.  If you are using the Desktop program there is a way to force the one you want.

Compare them

1040SR  https://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/f1040s.pdf

1040   https://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/f1040.pdf

1040/1040SR Instructions  https://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/i1040gi.pdf

If you use the Desktop program you can switch to forms and the Info Wks part II has a selection to select 1040SR or not.  You can not change it in the Online versions.   In the Online version if you want to use the regular 1040 form, you can print out the 1040SR and copy the amounts onto the 1040 and then mail your return.

You are awesome VolvoGirl!  Finally someone who didn't want to just argue why I liked the 1040 better than the 1040SR.  Your answer allowed me in only seconds to find the checkbox you mentioned and to print a 1040.  I can't thank you enough.  You rock girl.

@Captain Randy 

The form 1040 was reworked for 2019 & again for 2020 so of course the form looks different than you have known in the past.  Making the program produce the 1040 instead of the 1040-SR which is exactly the same except for the larger font will not change that fact that they look different.   Compare them both and see how they are the same line for line ...

https://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/f1040.pdf

https://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/f1040s.pdf

You are right Captain Randy, VolvoGirl is awesome! Too few people actually answer the question asked, they just tell you they are the same and you should do what you don't want to do. Well they are not the same, the data is but SR is 3-pages while regular 1040 is only 2, just for an obvious starter. 

@wtmann45 

DID you even LOOK at both forms line by line ???    They are exactly the same except for the larger font  and that larger font makes the form 3 pages long instead of only 2 but the lines are exactly the same.  Thus even if you are over the age of 64 you can still use the regular 1040 form.  In fact in my private practice I have the 1040SR option turned off so we don't waste ink and paper needlessly.  There is no law that says a person 65 or older MUST use the SR form.  

Also they add the standard deduction chart on page 4 this year instead of on the bottom of page one like last year.  Which is funny because if you are using the paper forms  you still need to look up the taxes in the instructions where the page 4 information is also listed.   So the useless chart on page 4 is a waste of paper and ink especially since 90% of filers are efiling returns.  

I'm one of those people who prefer the 1040, so thank you to whoever it was a few pages back in these comments who pointed me to the Federal Info Wksht. Problem solved.

For the people who can't understand why there might be a preference, here's one more reason. I see multiple 1040s in the course of a year (multiple years, multiple filers) and it makes my life simpler to have everything in the same place. Having some 1040-SRs and some 1040s is annoying so being able to standardize is very nice.

can Someone help a senior , discapacitated, to get the recovery 1 and 2.  I have started requesting you , since Jan....then in march ..... and gave all information from my ss income 10.228.00  ..... and keept on taking me to different questionaries... until they got me to a pay ,,, situation,,,, when Free form  was solicited at the very begining  , I think I qualfy for a free form ..... simple... the only thing /'i did not know was if I needed an extra form to claim the recovery for first and second covi stimulous.   Time is running fast I need to know if it takes so long to file for someone like me .0/00 assets .

is this mean that you do not send the file direct to irs?????

Irene2805
Expert Alumni

If your only income is Social Security, you should be able to use the TurboTax Free edition.  To go to the Recovery Rebate Credit part of the return to indicate that you did not receive the stimulus payments you were due, use these steps:

1. When in your federal return, click Federal Review at the top of your screen.
  2. On the screen, Did you get a first or second stimulus? click the No box
  3. On the next screen, Just making sure you got $0 for the stimulus so far, click the box Yes, $0 is right.
  4. TurboTax will calculate the amount of the credit and put it in your return.

Yes,  we send the return directly to the IRS.

@vestido largo

SLGroth

Can you be more specific on where to select 1040 or 1040-SR ?  I can't seem to find it on the 1040/1040SR worksheet.  Odd that in "Forms" view TT shows 1040, but when I print to preview, it changes to 1040SR.  I hate the SR even though I am 68 1/2 !!! Ha !!

Sounds like you are using the Desktop program?  

If you use the Desktop program you can switch to forms and the Info Wks part II has a selection to select 1040SR or not.  You can not change it in the Online versions.   In the Online version if you want to use the regular 1040 form, you can print out the 1040SR and copy the amounts onto the 1040 and then mail your return.

Oh I have a screen shot

1040SR.jpg

SLGroth

Thank you Volvogirl.  Very helpful,  I was on the wrong worksheet.  Somehow I had figured this out in 2019, but you can imagine how old people are !!  

What were we talking about ??  hee hee

SLGroth

If you're over 65 and talk to an IRS agent over the phone, do they also hollar at you because you are a senior and can't hear as well !!!!  The 1040-SR is dumb !!

Good one SLGroth!  Had a good laugh.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies