turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Estimated 2021 Payment Vouchers

Good morning,

How does Turbotax come up with these amounts?  The amount I owe this year is no where near what they are suggesting I voucher to the IRS on a quarterly basis.  In fact in prior years I received a refund and also received estimated vouchers for the next year.  Confused.

Thanks

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

7 Replies
AnnetteB6
Employee Tax Expert

The amounts are based on the information reported in your 2020 return with the assumption that you will have a similar situation for 2021 .  

You can go through the section in your return to make adjustments to your expected income for 2021 in order to recalculate the vouchers if you do expect to make the estimated payments.  Or, you can ignore the vouchers completely without making the payments.  The information is not transmitted and included as part of your tax return.  

See the following TurboTax article for instructions to change the estimates:  Can TurboTax calculate next year's federal estimated taxes?

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

Thanks a ton for the speedy reply!

Just a follow up.  If the amounts are based on the information reported for 2020 and I owe for 2020 wouldn't the vouchers for 2021 simply be what I owe divided by 4?  I am concerned because the vouchers are for substantially more than that.

Thanks!

AnnetteB6
Employee Tax Expert

Not necessarily.  The calculations are based on the idea of trying to have you avoid paying an underpayment penalty for 2021.  If the vouchers only covered your 2020 balance due, that would mean that your tax credits and withholdings must be the same for 2020 and 2021.  Not knowing your exact tax situation, it is hard to know what may be changing that TurboTax has factored in to the calculation.  

Going through the estimated payment section should help you to understand the process a little more.  See the following TurboTax article for some additional information:  How does TurboTax calculate my estimated tax payments?

@rstaudt

I've also received the payment vouchers and I'd like to know if I can completely ignore those payments and just file the 2021 taxes and then see if there's any additional payment I have to do at that time. I'll adjust my allowances with my employer for the 2021 year. Will that cause any problem?

Cynthiad66
Expert Alumni

Absolutely.  They are automatically generated for the most part.  You can wait until you file to determine if you owe.

Harryjaz

I need to printed out my 2021 voucher to pay my taxes 

AkinaLO
Intuit Alumni

If you follow the steps in this article, it will show you how to print your payment vouchers.

How do I print estimated tax vouchers for my 2022 taxes? 

@Harryjaz

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies