Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Event: Ask the Experts about your refund > RSVP NOW!
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

patriciaheeter
Returning Member

E-file Not Working - rejected consistently

I keep submitting and it keeps rejecting, although the error is correct.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

15 Replies
Bowski

I have the exact same issue.  Been through 4 iterations so far.  Triple checked everything.  The only thing I can think of is that my return could not be e-filed last year due to being a late file; so MAYBE there is no PIN on file with the IRS to match.  I will try calling IRS tomorrow or Friday.  Fortunately, I don’t owe, so being late doesn’t really matter.  Anyone know if there is a TurboTax support number to call.

JotikaT2
Employee Tax Expert

Please try clearing your cookies in your browser and then log back into your TurboTax software.  Many times, this will help clear the issue and allow you to log back in. 

Instructions to clear cookies to restart TurboTax 

I highly recommend at least filing an Extension if you are unable to e-file your tax return today.  

You can file an extension within the program itself.

1. Log back into your TurboTax account  and go to the federal section
  2. Select Other Tax Situations at the top of the screen
  3. Scroll down to Other Tax Forms
  4. Select File an Extension
  5. Proceed to answer the questions and follow the prompts to file your extension and make your tax payments 

Extension requests using the online software

If you are still unable to file, please use the following link to contact us.

Let the agent know what is happening and they will be able to assist you. 

Contact TurboTax 

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
JohnE2

Me e-file is being rejected by the IRS (and thus Cal state) because my correct date-of-birth entry on my 1040 does not match IRS records (evidently SocSec must have an incorrect date for me). When I try to adjust to manual filing the Turbo program won't let me (keeps looping me back to e-file). Since today is the deadline, I need to figure this out ASAP. I think someone needs to call me at [phone number removed] (my designated acct #)

E-file not working, also extension request not working. So just nothing is working.

DawnC
Employee Tax Expert

What happened with your extension @jkarpy1987 ?

An extension doesn't give you extra time to pay your taxes — but it will keep you from getting a late filing penalty. (You'll still owe interest if you pay after the deadline).

1. Open your return in TurboTax Online. (To do this, sign in to TurboTax and select Pick up where you left off).
  2. Select File an extension at the bottom of the column on the left side of the screen.
    • If you don't see the File an extension button in Step 2 above, search for extend in the upper right and select the Jump to link at the top of your search results.
  3. Follow the onscreen instructions to e-file your extension.

Note: If you're paying additional taxes owed with direct debit, you'll need to provide your 2018 AGI for verification purposes (if you didn't file a 2018 return, enter 0 as your AGI).

If you don't have your AGI, or your extension gets rejected for the wrong AGI, here are 2 options:

1. Recommended: Pay your taxes at IRS Direct Pay (this also automatically gives you an extension).
  2. Download and print Form 4868, fill it out, and get it postmarked before 11:59 p.m. July 15. Payment and mailing instructions are on pages 3 and 4 of your printout.

If you filed prior to the deadline, but were rejected, you have until July 20 to mail in your extension.

@JohnE2  Use the instructions above to file an extension.   You can contact support but beware - the hold times are long tonight.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

Filed an Extension with H&R Block. Already paid to file with you guys so please help me.

We could not e-file your return for the following reason:
The Intuit Electronic Filing System is having difficulty recognizing the data in the return you are sending. To ensure you have the latest version of TurboTax, wait 24 hours to update your program automatically. If you still can't transmit your return, go to www.support.turbotax.com for a solution or workaround. In some cases, you may need to file your return by mail. - 601ERRV:5, CustHdr_17 - ?:? - Invalid SMS Number. Must be between 10 and 10 digits.

Extension with you guys simply did not work. Got to the final page and it just would not go through no matter what i did.

I went through and deleted cookies and am still getting the same error message. I have no idea what this means and this answer below doesn't actually help me find a way through...I'm ready to pay, my paperwork is filled out. Because Intuit is having difficult recognizing the data...does that mean it's me or Intuit? Because it sounds like an Intuit problem. I don't want to try to file an extension because I've been trying to submit this for 5 hours now and I get the same message and can't get anyone to call me to just resolve this error because the site won't accept an international number...it also sounds like someone had trouble trying to even file an extension because we're getting this e-file error message. 

Your transmission didn't go through
The Intuit Electronic Filing System is having difficulty recognizing the data in the return you are sending. To ensure you have the latest version of TurboTax, wait 24 hours to update your program automatically. If you still can't transmit your return, go to www.support.turbotax.com for a solution or workaround. In some cases, you may need to file your return by mail. - 601ERRV:5, CustHdr_17 - ?:? - Invalid SMS Number. Must be between 10 and 10 digits.

I'm repeatedly getting this error. Looks like others are too. And my previous note on this has disappeared in this thread. I just want to submit my taxes and pay what I'm supposed to... Your transmission didn't go through
AAARes

Did you get any solution to your error? Same thing is happening to me!!!

AAARes

Did you get any solution to your error? I keep getting the same error!!

I had same issue.  Although all of the zip codes were entered correctly, TC said the return failed the efile check due to incorrect zip codes.  I edited and re-edited but it would not work.  Is this a TaxCut issue or an IRS issue?  Either way, I now have to pay penalties for paying late. "Thanks" TaxCut.  It will be my last time using this software.

Yes! Unbelievably sending a DM on Twitter is what worked. I have a few issues with the way this was handled. What resolved the issue ultimately (thank goodness for Amanda on Twitter) was that I had to go to my profile and validate my phone number - insert a "valid number" then receive a text message with a code to enter into Turbotax.

The problem is I'm an American filing from outside the US so I put in my international number. There is a selection for country but in the end it only accepted an American phone number (Turbotax really should fix this if they want to include Americans abroad who don't have US phone numbers anymore). 

Thankfully a friend was still awake and accepted the text for me, I entered the code, then filed away just fine.

The error message was really annoying because it didn't actually help solve the issue and I realize it's my fault I waited (like many people) until the last minute but honestly...Twitter. 

rysrouji

I had a similar issue of multiple rejections due to the error of  AGI not matching although it is exactly what I had from last year's returns.  I am submitting from outside the USA so when I tried to get an IRS Transcript it does not work for outside the US as someone else mentioned. 

The issue may be due to my late filing last year by mail and not efile. So maybe IRS still does not have my 2018 AGI on record !!??:

Now Turbo Tax is telling me that " The Return has been transmitted" - Do I still print my Tax Returns and send through mail ???

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies