Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

I accidentally claimed a dependent that should of been claimed by my spouse. How do I correct both returns?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

7 Replies

I accidentally claimed a dependent that should of been claimed by my spouse. How do I correct both returns?

Did you already file it? Was it accepted?
♪♫•*¨*•.¸¸♥Lisa♥ ¸¸.•*¨*•♫♪

Is there a reason you are not filing a Joint return?   Joint is usually the best way to file even if you are separated.
AlanT
Expert Alumni

Changing a dependent after your income tax return has already been filed and accepted is not a complicated process, however, it will take some effort on your part.

• First, you must wait for your original return to be processed and your refund to be issued to you. 
  • Second, the person who should have claimed the dependent must file their income tax return claiming the dependent by mail.  They cannot E-file their return.  It will be rejected.  They can mail in their return at any time. 
  • Third.  You will have to file an amended return to remove the dependent that should not have been claimed. 
  • Lastly, removing a dependent will cause you to lose credits such as Earned Income Credit, Child Tax credit, and others.  So be prepared to pay back some of the refund you received. 

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
MEW4

yes

MEW4

yes

Yes. I'm waiting for the 1040X form to be available. In the meantime, I just received my tax return in my account.

The 2020 Form 1040X does not become available until the end of March 2021 (subject to change).

https://www.irs.gov/forms-pubs/new-information-for-form-1040-x-filers

**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies