turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

COVID Stimulus Payment:(Please allow people who used Turbocard to change our Payment method to avoid having our stimulus payments delayed by having to receive it by mailed check

Will my stimulus deposit go on my turbo card

Irene2805
Expert Alumni

COVID Stimulus Payment:(Please allow people who used Turbocard to change our Payment method to avoid having our stimulus payments delayed by having to receive it by mailed check

As Critter has explained above, Santa Barbara TPG is currently working with the IRS to determine how the stimulus payments will be issued. They will post updates on their web page:  CARES Act Update

@Frankliza1  Yes.  See Method 1 under Critter's explanation above.

Method 1 is for those who entered the debit card info in the program themselves because they had a debit card from a prior tax year or got it  outside of the refund processing system for the 2019 return. 

Method 2 is for anyone who was issued a new debit card this year by using the refund processing system for their 2019 refund. 

@Critter @Hi there! Your first post was blank  And the second post mentions method 1 and method 2.  Can you repost the first one so we know what you are referring to? Thank you so much

"Method 2 ... you had the refund sent to a third party processing bank so you can have the TT fees paid and the balance sent to the card.   When you choose this option a TEMPORARY (one time use) account number is issued for this purpose only  (this temp account  number is  on your return and NOT the debit card info) and this temp account is automatically closed once it performs the task it was meant for.   This is the situation that is under consideration ... will/can  the temp account the IRS has on file be reactivated in time for the stimulus check? "

this is not true. I had fees taken out I just looked at my tax forms the routing and account number match the routing and account number I use for my weekly paycheck to go to my turbo card. It is NOT a different number but the exact same number

This has been my point the entire time .... it depends on what method you used ...

Method 1 ... the tax refund went from the IRS directly to the card just like a paycheck would. Debit cards can get direct deposits and reloads. (your card's DD info is on your return)

Method 2 ... you had the refund sent to a third party processing bank so you can have the TT fees paid and the balance sent to the card.   When you choose this option a TEMPORARY (one time use) account number is issued for this purpose only  (this temp account  number is  on your return and NOT the debit card info) and this temp account is automatically closed once it performs the task it was meant for.   This is the situation that is under consideration ... will/can  the temp account the IRS has on file be reactivated in time for the stimulus check? 

The IRS has posted they are working on a way for taxpayers to update DD info ... if this will work is still TBD.

https://www.irs.gov/newsroom/economic-impact-payments-what-you-need-to-know

Answers to this and other processing bank questions is still TBD. https://www.sbtpg.com/coronavirus-stimulus-payment-info/

FOR THOSE THAT REPORT THE DD INFO ON YOUR RETURN IS THE SAME AS THE DEBIT CARD THEN YOU HAVE NO ISSUES .... HOWEVER THIS IS NOT TRUE FOR EVERYONE.  

It has been signed and approved 

The law can be signed  but the logistics to actually implement the law take time to work out ... the IRS has not  issued much in the way of directions as of now ... watch the IRS site yourself :   https://www.irs.gov/coronavirus

dorothymontano
Returning Member

How do I change from mailing to direct deposit?

I will watch it. Soo I've been told that whatever you got your taxes on last year is what you'll be getting these checks on, is that true or? 

I've heard multiple people guessing and lots or unspecific guidance.  Nothing official i have seen just comes out and says the answer.  I am not sure why Turbo Tax doesn't just say it because they should know.  Here is what i think the answer is though.

If you got your return on a Turbo Card, then the stimulus will go there to.

WHY:  I looked up my "tax return" and looked at the routing and account number "for the card".  They are exactly the same.  The IRS doesn;t get any additional info under the table or know how companies are handling.  All they see is:

Account type: X Checking  ___Savings

Routing Number: XXXXXXXXXXXXXX

Account Number:XXXXXXXXXXXXXXX

They aren't privy to anything else.  It just looks like another checking account to them.  If you do anything extra just make sure your card is active and email verified.  Don't give it a reason to reject.  I wouldn't update name or address on the card though.   I don;t know if it matters but they set it up to match your tax return., just accept it and live with it for now  Don;t cause waves where there aren't any. 

If someone doesn't want it going there or if they didn't direct deposit, then they have to do the routine IRS is telling everyone to enter a direct deposit number on their site.     Again though, don;t cause waves where there doesn;t have to be.  If your doing this because you threw the card away, just order a replacement card.  It might be a different card number but the account info won;t change.   Take the road of keeping things as consistent as possible with no changes not absolutely required.  Every time you do, youre throwing the dice.

Did you get an answer?

@dorothymontano wrote:

How do I change from mailing to direct deposit?

See this TurboTax support FAQ for changing from mail to e-file - https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/e-file/help/how-do-i-change-from-mail-to-e-file-in-turbotax-online...

Yes thank you. 

Use your Intuit Account to sign in to TurboTax.
By selecting Sign in, you agree to our Terms and acknowledge our Privacy Statement.
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies