Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Changes

Turbo Tax never gave me an option to file my unemployment and now my return went from 2600 to 1000. Also, I can’t check the irs portal bc the amount has changed and it won’t allow me to log in. Any idea why the amount changed so drastically and any tips on logging in to check my return ? 

x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

8 Replies

Changes

First you have to use the original refund amount to check on the original return here : 

https://www.irs.gov/refunds

Next do NOT file the amended return until the IRS has fully processed your original return and you have the refund in hand.  At that time you will have the funds to send back the excess refund you were not entitled to. 

Finally, send the payment with the amended return when you get to file it. And going forward do not file an incomplete return to start with ... the income section of the TT program had the unemployment section if you had looked for it  or asked how to find it before you filed the original return. 

Look at the form 1040X …

Column A should have the figures from the original return, Column C the corrected figures and Column B the differences between the other 2 which needs an explanation on page 2 of the form 1040X.

If you completed it correctly you will see an entry on either line 16 OR 18:

On line 16 should be the amount you paid with your original return. If you paid nothing already then this line should be zero.

On line 18 should be the amount of your original refund you received.  If you have not received your refund yet then you need to wait for it.  If the refund changes from what you expected then this line must reflect that change.

Then you will see your extra refund on line 22 OR  the new balance due you need to pay on line 20.

Changes

They have not processed my original return. They found the errors and are processing the amount they changed it to. I haven’t begun to amend anything. Also I’ve tried using the original return amount and I still can’t log in. 

Changes

Any idea why the amount changed so drastically

Yes, you owe taxes on the unemployment comp that you failed to claim.

Changes

Yeah but I barely claimed unemployment bc they denied me for so long and ontop of that what I got from UE and what was taxed was no where near the 1600 decrease.  

Changes

Ok ... so the IRS caught your error and adjusted the return but did they also give you credit for the withholding ?  

And additional income can reduce credits ... using the amendment process you should be able to see the corrections the IRS may have already made on your behalf.  

Changes

Maybe I didn’t explain this properly bc i literally cannot see any changes made by the irs when I click amend. I was not notified of this through turbo tax, I was notified through the irs.go app which I’m now having trouble logging into 

Changes

Right.  The IRS doesn't tell or update Turbo Tax about your return.  It's up to you to find out what the IRS changed and if you need to amend.  You need to enter the original refund amount at the IRS.  The IRS will be sending you a letter saying what they changed.  

It sounds like you need to amend to enter your unemployment?  

In addition to the missing unemployment, the 2 most common reasons this year is you entered the wrong amount on line 30 for the Recovery Rebate Credit (3rd Stimulus payment) or line 28 for the Child Tax Credit. Those lines are just if you didn't already get the full amount or qualify for more. The IRS knows what they already sent you.  

How much is on your return 1040 line 30?  They sent the 3rd Stimulus payment (1400 per person) starting in March 2021. Double check your bank statements and check your IRS account (both accounts if married) to see what they sent you.
https://www.irs.gov/payments/your-online-account

So the missing 1600 could be due to the missing unemployment and the 1400 on line 30.  Or just the 1400 plus the fees if you had the fees deducted from your refund.  

Changes

Okay thanks for mentioning the stimulus error. That’s probably what I missed. Again, I’m entering the original amount and I’m still having. Issues logging in. 

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies