turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Can I ignore a statement from IRS telling me that I filed my 2019 Form 1040SR with an amount owed of $104.31. I paid the full amount that TurboTax told me I owed?

I would like to know why I received this and what to do about it.
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

3 Replies

Can I ignore a statement from IRS telling me that I filed my 2019 Form 1040SR with an amount owed of $104.31. I paid the full amount that TurboTax told me I owed?

Did you pay the 104.31?  The tax due should be in whole dollars and no cents.  Maybe the IRS adjusted or return or it's for interest or a penalty?  Do you have proof you paid it?  Maybe they had trouble taking it out of your bank account.  Better call them or send back a copy of your bank statement.

Your only proof of payment is your bank or credit card statement showing it coming out.  Turbo Tax does not pay it.  They only send your bank info to the IRS or state and then the state pulls it out if your account.  You might have put down the wrong bank or routing number or typed it wrong.  What bank?  BofA uses different numbers for deposits and payments and not the regular number that's on your checks or Account.

How did you make the federal tax payment?  Direct debit from your bank account, mail a check, pay by credit card or pay on the IRS payment website?  You should have proof of payment either on your bank account, credit card statement or confirmation number from the IRS payment website.

How you chose to pay the federal taxes owed will be on the Federal Filing Instructions page included with your tax return.

Sign onto your TurboTax online account - https://myturbotax.intuit.com/

Scroll down and click on Add a State.  This will take you back to the 2019 online tax return.

Click on Tax Tools on the left side of the online program screen. Then click on Print Center. Then click on Print, save or preview this year's return.

"Can I ignore a statement from IRS...."

No you do not ignore letters from the IRS.  What EXACTLY does the letter say?  Did the IRS change something on your return?  Do you have proof that you paid your tax due---bank/credit card statement?  Did you pay the amount shown on line 23 of your Form 1040?  Does the IRS say you owe an underpayment penalty or something else?

TurboTax does not receive any information from the IRS or your state after your return was filed, so no one at TurboTax knows about a letter you received from the IRS or the state.

(what the letters from the IRS mean)

I GOT A LETTER FROM THE IRS   

https://ttlc.intuit.com/questions/3605673-i-got-a-letter-or-notice-from-the-irs

I AM BEING AUDITED

If you purchased Audit Defense:

https://ttlc.intuit.com/questions/2924451-i-bought-max-or-audit-defense-and-now-i-m-being-audited

AUDIT SUPPORT

TurboTax has a special phone number for help with IRS/state tax letters, which will be easier than going through regular Customer Support.   At the page below, click on the blue button that says "Get Help from TurboTax Support".  Then it will ask you what tax year is your letter.  Then it will ask you what the letter concerns. Then it will show you the phone number during posted business hours.

https://support.turbotax.intuit.com/irs-notice/audit-support/

**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies