turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

Been 5 weeks since I sent in my amended return and the IRS shows it still hasn't received it?

The message we see is the exact  same, with the date that they received ours as April 13th. We are still awaiting our refunds (which we realize we will not be seeing until well into 2021).

wisconsin_wolf
Returning Member

Been 5 weeks since I sent in my amended return and the IRS shows it still hasn't received it?

I have mailed my 2019 1040X in August via priority mail. Tracking info shows it was delivered on Aug 27 to IRS location in Fresno, CA. It has been 4 months and IRS website does not show any information about my amended return.. I see many people in the same boat here so hope the IRS catches up soon

@wisconsin_wolf

The IRS has not been working on mailed returns until fairly recently---and an amended return could only be filed by mailing it in until late August 2020 when the IRS began to accept e-filed 2019 amended returns.   Under normal circumstances you would be able to see something about your mailed in Form 1040X after about three weeks, but that is not the case right now.  The usual 4 months for processing an amended return is going to take longer.  Sorry.

https://www.cnn.com/2020/04/20/politics/irs-mail-trailers-covid/index.html

MAILED RETURNS

Per the IRS website IRS Operations During COVID-19: Mission-critical functions continue 

IRS operational status and alternatives

Processing Delays for Paper Tax Returns: Taxpayers should file electronically through their tax preparer, tax software provider, or IRS Free File

We’re experiencing delays in processing paper tax returns due to limited staffing. If you already filed a paper return, we will process it in the order we received it.

Do not file a second tax return or contact the IRS about the status of your return.

If you mail a tax return (or a payment) to the IRS, it is a good idea to use a mailing service that will track it like UPS or certified mail so you will know it was received.

TurboTax will not know anything about your amended return, and nor will TT know that you put your 1040X  in an envelope and took it to a mailbox.  TurboTax does not get updates on mailed  (or e-filed) returns.

When the IRS finally opens its mail and begins to process mailed returns you can check the status on the IRS site.

https://www.irs.gov/Filing/Individuals/Amended-Returns-(Form-1040-X)/Wheres-My-Amended-Return-1

https://www.irs.gov/filing/individuals/amended-returns-form-1040-x/amended-return-frequently-asked-q...

**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**

The interesting thing is NOTHING is said about the fact that they are making millions in interest on the money that would have been paid out on time. Are they passing that interest on to us? They surely would take interest if we didn't pay on time. So typical.

@ratajack1 

Just got an update on my transcript that my amended return was processed. There is a separate line item with a label "Interest credited to your account". So from what I can tell, YES they are paying additional interest for the delay.

Well that is a positive thing.  Thank you.  I submitted an amended return May 21, 2020 and do not have any kind of status. I know it will take time....going on 8 months now.

We mailed ours in late March and the system shows them received in mid-April. We FINALLY received one of two expected refunds on Saturday. Interest was included! 🎉

It has over 5 weeks since I sent in my amended tax return. Gilbert Lopez ,ss [social security number removed]. [removed]. Refund of 485

@gilbertlopez19 Five weeks?   it is taking the IRS about six months to process amended returns.

The IRS has not been working on mailed returns until fairly recently---and an amended return could only be filed by mailing it in until late August 2020 when the IRS began to accept e-filed 2019 amended returns.   Under normal circumstances you would be able to see something about your mailed in Form 1040X after about three weeks, but that is not the case right now.  The usual 4 months for processing an amended return is going to take longer.  Sorry.

https://www.cnn.com/2020/04/20/politics/irs-mail-trailers-covid/index.html

MAILED RETURNS

Per the IRS website IRS Operations During COVID-19: Mission-critical functions continue 

IRS operational status and alternatives

Processing Delays for Paper Tax Returns: Taxpayers should file electronically through their tax preparer, tax software provider, or IRS Free File

We’re experiencing delays in processing paper tax returns due to limited staffing. If you already filed a paper return, we will process it in the order we received it.

Do not file a second tax return or contact the IRS about the status of your return.

If you mail a tax return (or a payment) to the IRS, it is a good idea to use a mailing service that will track it like UPS or certified mail so you will know it was received.

TurboTax will not know anything about your amended return, and nor will TT know that you put your 1040X  in an envelope and took it to a mailbox.  TurboTax does not get updates on mailed  (or e-filed) returns.

When the IRS finally opens its mail and begins to process mailed returns you can check the status on the IRS site.

https://www.irs.gov/Filing/Individuals/Amended-Returns-(Form-1040-X)/Wheres-My-Amended-Return-1

https://www.irs.gov/filing/individuals/amended-returns-form-1040-x/amended-return-frequently-asked-q...

**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**

Hey this is a public user forum and it is not safe to post your personal info here.  The whole world can see it and scam you and steal it.

In normal times it takes up to 16 weeks or more to process an Amended 1040X return.  But these are not normal times.

Sorry the IRS has limited staff due to Covid-19.  They started opening the mail in June that's been stacking up. Back in March the IRS closed their processing centers and stopped processing mailed tax returns.  An IRS spokesperson said that they have about 11 million pieces of unopened mail.  The IRS says....."We’re experiencing delays in processing paper tax returns due to limited staffing. If you already filed a paper return, we will process it in the order we received it."  So it may take longer if you mailed in June or later.   So you have to keep waiting.

See this IRS page for the latest information

https://www.irs.gov/newsroom/irs-operations-during-covid-19-mission-critical-functions-continue

Then once they start opening the mail, After 3 weeks you can track it here,    

https://www.irs.gov/filing/individuals/amended-returns-form-1040-x-/wheres-my-amended-return-1

Imminent_MrSmith
Returning Member

My wife and I mailed our amended Return on May 16th, 2020 for the tax year 2019. On Sept. 1st, still no check.

I called the IRS to find out what's going on. She said the IRS has no record of our Amended Return in their system. WHAT!? She advised me to wait another month, then file another. I hung up and immediately filled out another 1040X and mailed it, certified mail this time . A week later,  I checked with the post office and they showed the Return was received at the IRS Sept. 6th (Fresno).  As of Jan. 15, 2022.... the IRS has still has not processed our Return into their system. The IRS owes us a lot of $$$. What can we do?! 

There are probably about 1,000 comments on this.  They just started processing amended returns. I sent mine May 21 and I am still waiting.  Read the other comments. It may take a while.

@Imminent_MrSmith wrote:

My wife and I mailed our amended Return on May 16th, 2020 for the tax year 2019. On Sept. 1st, still no check.

I called the IRS to find out what's going on. She said the IRS has no record of our Amended Return in their system. WHAT!? She advised me to wait another month, then file another. I hung up and immediately filled out another 1040X and mailed it, certified mail this time . A week later,  I checked with the post office and they showed the Return was received at the IRS Sept. 6th (Fresno).  As of Jan. 15, 2022.... the IRS has still has not processed our Return into their system. The IRS owes us a lot of $$$. What can we do?! 

All you can do is wait.  The IRS is backed up with millions of paper filed tax return to process.  They are processing the paper returns in the order received.

As stated on the IRS website for the status of an amended tax return - https://www.irs.gov/filing/wheres-my-amended-return

COVID-19 Mail Processing Delays

It’s taking us longer to process mailed documents including:

• Paper tax returns, and
  • All tax return related correspondence.

We are processing all mail in the order we received it.

Do not file a second tax return or call the IRS.

Other than hoping and praying? You could try to submit the 1040X electronically (capability was introduced this summer), but that may complicate things further. If they see two, they have to investigate and reject one, making the entire process longer. If they never see the paper one, the electronic one will be processed, but there’s just no way to tell or predict things will happen this way. 

My experience: the electronic amended return was processed with a check in my hand right at 16-17 weeks.

Imminent_MrSmith
Returning Member

I read many of the post, I don't recall anyone waiting more than 8 months for the IRS to process their Return INTO their system.  The IRS claims they will process a mailed Return into their system within 3 weeks. It's been 8 months...and we're still waiting . I can handle waiting for the IRS to actually process our Return (6 months, fine) and issue a check. BUT, before they can do that, they must first process the Return into their system. Again, it's been 8 months...and nothing! If the IRS can stall this another two years, they will owe us nothing. Correct? 

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies