Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

trieun87

Been 5 weeks since I sent in my amended return and the IRS shows it still hasn't received it?

Hi, I filed my amend 2 month on October and it still not showing up in the IRS system? Anyone still having the same issue?

Been 5 weeks since I sent in my amended return and the IRS shows it still hasn't received it?

@trieun87 wrote:

Hi, I filed my amend 2 month on October and it still not showing up in the IRS system? Anyone still having the same issue?

READ the answers on this thread.  Your question has been answered multiple times.

Welcome to the club. Hop in line, some of us have had amended returns pending since Q1/Q2 of 2020.

I sent my return in April 6th and finally received my amended return 12/10/20. It never showed up as being processed or received. 

trieun87

Wow! It take you 8 month to get your amend although it never show up in the IRS system? The thing is I don't know if they have my files or lost it. Just which they let us know if they did received it or not instead of waiting for months and then find out they never got the files.

Right. I didn’t know if they received or lost it until the amount showed up in my bank account. 8 months later probably from the day they received it.

Hi !  
so when you check now does the online update still stay processing or received although you received direct deposit? I’ve literally been waiting since April 26th 🥺

I would like to know as well, however I would take that person’s situation with a grain of salt. Typically filing a bonafide amended return with form1040X, the refund would be received via check in the mail, not direct deposit. 

I’m on about the same timeline as you, if yours shows as accepted, just keep swimming! An article I read reports they have made significant progress , but still have a couple million more to go in the mail backlog pile. The pandemic affected them as much as us. I don’t envy that situation at all. 

That’s what I was expecting. I kept checking the mail and it showed up in my banking account. Now when I check the status it tells me return has been sent. 

trieun87

My doesn't show anything yet. Still show unavailable in the where my amend return application.

@trieun87 If you want to know that an envelope you mailed to the IRS was received, you need to use a mailing service that tracks it and lets you know it was received--like certified mail.  Otherwise, you will not know.  The IRS does not "let you know" that an envelope arrived and went into a pile in a trailer--which is what happened with millions of pieces of mail received during the pandemic.

Frustrating--but all you can do is wait until your amended return makes it to the surface and gets entered into the system.  Then you will be able to see something on the IRS site.

https://www.irs.gov/Filing/Individuals/Amended-Returns-(Form-1040-X)/Wheres-My-Amended-Return-1

Per the IRS website IRS Operations During COVID-19: Mission-critical functions continue 

IRS operational status and alternatives

Processing Delays for Paper Tax Returns: Taxpayers should file electronically through their tax preparer, tax software provider, or IRS Free File

We’re experiencing delays in processing paper tax returns due to limited staffing. If you already filed a paper return, we will process it in the order we received it.

Do not file a second tax return or contact the IRS about the status of your return.

Amended returns are taking at least 6 months for processing.

**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**
Kjkolek

I mailed my amended tax form in back in March and there’s still no record of it. Has anyone’s gone through?

I've been checking weekly to see if there has been an update, and finally this week I at least found out that the IRS has, in fact, received my amended 2018 return.  Here's the message I see when I log into www4.irs.gov/wmar (wmar is the "where's my amended return" subsite):

"Your amended return was received on August 03, 2020. However, it has not been processed. We apologize for any inconvenience.

Please call [phone number removed], extension 623, between the hours of 7 a.m. and 7 p.m., Monday through Friday. You will need a copy of your amended return.

Hope this gives others hope.

I filed an amended return for the tax year of 2018, mailing it on Aug. 10 (e-file not available for 2018). I've tried to check on the status using the IRS tool, and it's not even showing up as received. It's been more than 16 weeks. This thread is helpful in that others appear to be in the same boat. I also tried the phone line, but realized I would not be able to speak to a human. But I wonder if anyone else who mailed in an amended return in August has gotten any confirmation of at least receipt? I just wonder if they are opening the mail from then yet, or if there are still trailers full of unopened amended returns.

@waiting12

The IRS has not been working on mailed returns until fairly recently---and an amended return could only be filed by mailing it in until late August 2020 when the IRS began to accept e-filed 2019 amended returns.   Under normal circumstances you would be able to see something about your mailed in Form 1040X after about three weeks, but that is not the case right now.  The usual 4 months for processing an amended return is going to take longer.  Sorry.

https://www.cnn.com/2020/04/20/politics/irs-mail-trailers-covid/index.html

MAILED RETURNS

Per the IRS website IRS Operations During COVID-19: Mission-critical functions continue 

IRS operational status and alternatives

Processing Delays for Paper Tax Returns: Taxpayers should file electronically through their tax preparer, tax software provider, or IRS Free File

We’re experiencing delays in processing paper tax returns due to limited staffing. If you already filed a paper return, we will process it in the order we received it.

Do not file a second tax return or contact the IRS about the status of your return.

If you mail a tax return (or a payment) to the IRS, it is a good idea to use a mailing service that will track it like UPS or certified mail so you will know it was received.

TurboTax will not know anything about your amended return, and nor will TT know that you put your 1040X  in an envelope and took it to a mailbox.  TurboTax does not get updates on mailed  (or e-filed) returns.

When the IRS finally opens its mail and begins to process mailed returns you can check the status on the IRS site.

https://www.irs.gov/Filing/Individuals/Amended-Returns-(Form-1040-X)/Wheres-My-Amended-Return-1

https://www.irs.gov/filing/individuals/amended-returns-form-1040-x/amended-return-frequently-asked-q...

**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies