turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Amending a return to remove dependent for stimulus.

My adult son earned taxable income in 2019 and we filed his income taxes before our own. In the question about if he can be a dependent on another persons tax form, we checked yes but that he wouldn't be. As it turns out, when we filed ours, we learned he couldn't be a dependent on ours anyway. Fast forward and the stimulus states that adult dependents can't receive anything. I looked at his return and despite us saying he wouldn't be claimed as a dependent, the box on his form is checked saying he can be claimed as a dependent. Should we amend his return to state that he can't be claimed as a dependent? Thanks in advance for the education.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

37 Replies
JohnB5677
Expert Alumni

Yes,  Provided that you're sure he is not being claimed on your return.  It may give him an additional refund regardless of the stimulus, and the stimulus would be a bonus.

If you've filed your return and need to add additional information, then you will have to prepare an amended return in TurboTax.

If you used TurboTax Online, simply log in to your account and select “Amend a return that was filed and accepted.” 

If you used our CD/download product, sign back into your return and select “Amend a filed return.” You must file a separate Form 1040X for each tax return you are amending.

Amend ONLINE    OR     Amend CD/Download       Amend 2016 - 2019

You will have to mail the amended return.  The IRS limits the system to only one Social Security number or Tax ID  to be E-Filed.  This is to guard against fraudulent tax returns.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

Thanks. He wasn't claimed on ours. It didn't affect his refund but we don't want to impact his eligibility for the stimulus because of this error. Thanks again for the information.

Yeah I’m in the same situation, I filed that I could be claimed as a dependent but I couldn’t, and now my parents got their stimulus check but I haven’t gotten mine, I qualify completely until the “can be claimed as a dependent” part.

DeanM15
Expert Alumni

If you wanted the payment this year, you would need to amend your 2019 tax return. 

The stimulus payment is an advance on a tax credit for the 2020 tax year. If you are a dependent in 2019, but not in 2020, you will not receive a stimulus payment this year, but will receive one when you file your taxes next year. 

If you amend your 2019 tax return, you would not get the payment until after the return has processed. The IRS is not currently processing mail-in returns and amended returns are mail-in. Generally, a mail-in amended return takes 6 weeks to process, but at this point, it is impossible to tell how long it would take. 

@Zachvann98

Hi There,

So I too accidentally put that someone could claim me as a dependent when I filed my taxes in February but my parents filed their taxes in late February claiming no dependents. I received my original return and all and then I sent in my amended return back in early March to note that NO ONE can claim me as a dependent and I that am the head of household.  The IRS received it on March 9.  Whenever the IRS re-opens and processes my amended return, will I get the stimulus check then? Please let me know. Thanks in advance for the help. I can't find this anywhere on the web or IRS website.

DMarkM1
Employee Tax Expert

Yes once the amendment is processed to correct your dependent status, as long as you meet the income qualification (less than $112,500 for head of household filers), you will receive a stimulus payment for you and your qualifying child.  

cydb
Level 2

"Yes once the amendment is processed to correct your dependent status, as long as you meet the income qualification (less than $112,500 for head of household filers), you will receive a stimulus payment for you and your qualifying child. "

What's the source for this?

Will you receive the stimulus check along with the amended return money or as a separate check, or when you file in 2021? I just mailed my 1040X in but their office is closed until further notice.

I too was tricked by the TurboTax dependent question that someone can claim me but they won't.

DMarkM1
Employee Tax Expert

Here is the IRS site where you can check qualifications.  The stimulus payment this year is separate from any tax refunds.  They will however be paid the same way.  If you elected direct deposit on your tax return for your refund, your stimulus payment will also be a direct deposit, but a separate transaction from your tax refund.

Thank you @JohnB5677 for the information.  We had the exact same scenario as @Smedley except on 2018 taxes and neither our daughter or we have filed yet for 2019.  She was not claimed as a dependent on our 2018 taxes when filed and cannot be for 2018 based on the rules as I understand them. 

She went ahead and filed an amendment for 2018 but it looks like it won't be processed now for awhile.  Will the IRS still be processing stimulus payments after this first "go-round"?  When she files the 2019 return I think she will go back to a dependent status because she's a full time student.  If the 2019 return is processed before the amended 2018 return, will she still be eligible for the $1200 stimulus as an actual payment or credit for 2020?

JeanH

Hi.  I claimed my 19 year old as a dependent on our returns.  She checked the "can be claimed as dependent" on her return.   If I amend my return, I will pay back a substantial amount of money.  The question is if I amend my return, will she still qualify for the stimulus money?  Do we both have to file amendments?  I want to do what is right for her as she recently lost her job because of layoffs.  Thank you for your response.

pakoss

Hello, My daughter (adult disabled) both receive Soc. Sec. checks each month. Because she also worked a part-time job and her income was higher then mine, I did her taxes showing her as HoH and she claimed me on her return, that was filed and she received her refund and stimulus. I didn't have to file, but saw that I would need to for the stimulus (before they said filing wasn't needed). I filed with a 0 adj gross income. Because I was claimed on her return, I didn't receive the stim payment. Is there any way to change this? I could really use the $1200!! Thank you!

CatinaT1
Employee Tax Expert

Go here:  https://www.irs.gov/coronavirus/economic-impact-payments

This FAQ site may also answer your questions.

https://www.irs.gov/coronavirus/economic-impact-payment-information-center

Can someone please help me! I am trying to remove a dependent from my tax return so that he can receive a stimulus check. I am so confused and always use Turbo tax because it is easy! I need help! He is my boyfriend, and he does not work, but he lives with me so he said it would be OK to add him as a dependent and claim head of household. But, I think it is better that he receive a stimulus check. Can someone please tell me SPECIFICALLY where on my return I can make this change? Is it for State or Federal? I only get lost when I go back in to change any information. Uggh!! I am so lost!! Thank you in advance!! 

@kelwithaneye Slow down.  Did you file the tax return yet?  Or is there still time to make changes BEFORE you file it?

**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies