turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Crystalcorral
Returning Member

Amended return

I filed an amended return in February and I still have not recieved my refund 

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

9 Replies

Amended return

Did you wait to amend until your first return was fully processed and you got the first refund or paid the tax due?  Did you mail the 1040X? Did you get a tracking number from the post office when you mailed it so you know they got it?

In normal times it takes up to 16 weeks or more to process an Amended 1040X return.  But these are not normal times.

Sorry the IRS has limited staff due to Covid-19.  They just started opening the mail in June that's been stacking up. Back in March the IRS closed their processing centers and stopped processing mailed tax returns.  An IRS spokesperson recently said that they have about 11 million pieces of unopened mail.  So you have to keep waiting.

See this IRS page for the latest information

https://www.irs.gov/newsroom/irs-operations-during-covid-19-mission-critical-functions-continue

Amended return

Normally amended returns take up to 4 months to process once you mail it in ... however this is not a normal year.  Due to the Covid shut down all paper returns stopped being processed and 11 million envelopes piled up at the processing centers ... so expect the return to take 6 months or more to process.  

Amended return

I did a amended return still have not heard anything 

Amended return

@Sheca504  wrote:

I did a amended return still have not heard anything 

READ the answer directly above your post.

Go to this IRS website for the status of an amended tax return - https://www.irs.gov/filing/wheres-my-amended-return

Amended return

Any updates? They say they received mine in April but it would take up to 16 weeks from August 1st to receive the refund.

Amended return

@mgv213 

The IRS has not been working on mailed returns until very recently---and an amended return could only be filed by mailing it in until late August 2020 when the IRS began to accept e-filed 2019 amended returns.   Under normal circumstances you would be able to see something about your mailed in Form 1040X after about three weeks, but that is not the case right now.  The usual 4 months for processing an amended return is going to take longer.  Sorry.

https://www.cnn.com/2020/04/20/politics/irs-mail-trailers-covid/index.html

MAILED RETURNS

Per the IRS website IRS Operations During COVID-19: Mission-critical functions continue 

IRS operational status and alternatives

Processing Delays for Paper Tax Returns: Taxpayers should file electronically through their tax preparer, tax software provider, or IRS Free File

We’re experiencing delays in processing paper tax returns due to limited staffing. If you already filed a paper return, we will process it in the order we received it.

Do not file a second tax return or contact the IRS about the status of your return.

If you mail a tax return (or a payment) to the IRS, it is a good idea to use a mailing service that will track it like UPS or certified mail so you will know it was received.

TurboTax will not know anything about your amended return, and nor will TT know that you put your 1040X  in an envelope and took it to a mailbox.  TurboTax does not get updates on mailed  (or e-filed) returns.

When the IRS finally opens its mail and begins to process mailed returns you can check the status on the IRS site.

https://www.irs.gov/Filing/Individuals/Amended-Returns-(Form-1040-X)/Wheres-My-Amended-Return-1

https://www.irs.gov/filing/individuals/amended-returns-form-1040-x/amended-return-frequently-asked-q...

**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**

Amended return

@mgv213 @Have you received your amend refund I’ve been told the same exact thing

Amended return

I thought i had responded to this, but I filed an amended return May 2020. To date it doesn't even acknowledge it exists. It says:

Your amended return information is currently unavailable in this application. It takes up to 3 weeks for an amended return to show on your account. You can generally expect your amended return to be processed within 16 weeks from the date we receive it. Check the date you filed your amended return and try again later.

It acts like I haven't allowed enough time. What is so irritating is that I don't even know if they got it.  If they would at least say "received - delayed", but that is too much too ask. They say don't send it again, but if by chance it is lost, how in the heck would I know? But it stands to reason they are drawing interest on all of the amended refunds that they haven't sent out.

Amended return

Please read the reply that is directly above your post.  The only way to know if the IRS received your mailed return is if you used a mailing service that tracked it and gave you confirmation that it was received.  You should always use certified mail, UPS, etc. when you mail anything to the IRS. If you did not do that then you are at the mercy of having to wait until the IRS pulls your envelope out of the pile and enters it into the system.  Your envelope could literally be in a big pile of unopened mail---so if that is the case, nothing is in the system to show that it has been received.  

The "normal" time it takes for an amended return to show up on the web site is about three weeks, but these are not normal times.  Mail piled up for months without even being opened.  It it taking much longer than the "normal" three weeks for anything to show up on the amended return site, and much longer than four months for the IRS to process an amended return.

Sorry for your frustration--there has been lots of that for tax returns this year.  

Per the IRS website IRS Operations During COVID-19: Mission-critical functions continue:

IRS operational status and alternatives

Processing Delays for Paper Tax Returns: Taxpayers should file electronically through their tax preparer, tax software provider, or IRS Free File

We’re experiencing delays in processing paper tax returns due to limited staffing. If you already filed a paper return, we will process it in the order we received it.

Do not file a second tax return or contact the IRS about the status of your return.

**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies