turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Amend 2020

I entered a new 1099r into turbo, then I learned I shouldn't have done this until 2/26.  Now the original is probably skewed.  Any way to recover the one e-filed?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

Amend 2020

You cannot change or add anything on the return that you just e-filed, nor can you stop it.  It is too late, just like when you put an envelope in a US mailbox on the corner.

If you left out a W-2, a 1099G, or a dependent, or a 1099 etc…DO NOT change your return while it is “pending.”  The changes will go nowhere.

Now you have to wait until the IRS either rejects or accepts your return.  If your return is rejected, you will be able to go into your account and make the necessary changes to your tax return and re-submit your return. 

If the IRS accepts your return, however, then you have to wait longer until it has been fully processed and you have received your refund.  THEN you can prepare an amended tax return and e-file or mail  it in. You have to be able to work from that return exactly the way it was when it was e-filed originally.  You will need to use a form called a 1040X.

Meanwhile, DO NOT go in and start changing anything on your return in the system, or you will make a mess for yourself.  Sit tight and wait until you see what the IRS does with the return you just e-filed

**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**

View solution in original post

16 Replies

Amend 2020

You cannot change or add anything on the return that you just e-filed, nor can you stop it.  It is too late, just like when you put an envelope in a US mailbox on the corner.

If you left out a W-2, a 1099G, or a dependent, or a 1099 etc…DO NOT change your return while it is “pending.”  The changes will go nowhere.

Now you have to wait until the IRS either rejects or accepts your return.  If your return is rejected, you will be able to go into your account and make the necessary changes to your tax return and re-submit your return. 

If the IRS accepts your return, however, then you have to wait longer until it has been fully processed and you have received your refund.  THEN you can prepare an amended tax return and e-file or mail  it in. You have to be able to work from that return exactly the way it was when it was e-filed originally.  You will need to use a form called a 1040X.

Meanwhile, DO NOT go in and start changing anything on your return in the system, or you will make a mess for yourself.  Sit tight and wait until you see what the IRS does with the return you just e-filed

**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**

Amend 2020

I mistakenly added the new 1099r to the tax file thinking I was amending it.  So from what I see I have messed up.  Ant recourse?  Can TurboTax recovery the original file for me?  

Amend 2020

@agoranorm wrote:

I mistakenly added the new 1099r to the tax file thinking I was amending it.  So from what I see I have messed up.  Ant recourse?  Can TurboTax recovery the original file for me?  

Just delete the Form 1099-R that you added

If the return is accepted you will have to amend your original tax return. An amended return, Form 1040X, can only be printed and mailed to the IRS if the original tax return was not e-filed. The IRS will take up to 16 weeks or longer to process an amended tax return.

Before starting to amend the tax return, wait for the tax refund to be received or the taxes due to be paid and processed by the IRS.

See this TurboTax support FAQ on amending a tax return originally completed and filed using the 2020 TurboTax online editions - https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/amending/help/how-do-i-amend-my-turbotax-online-return/01/27577

The IRS Form 1040-X for amending a 2020 tax return is scheduled to be available on 03/25/2021 (subject to change)

scdougl

Amend 2020

I used TurboTax Premiere and e-filed my 2020 Federal return.  I have already received the refund.  I need to do an amended 2020 Federal return, but it does not appear to be available yet in my software.  When will it be available so that I can complete an amended 1140X form???

TiffanyL
Intuit Alumni

Amend 2020

Per IRS forms availability table for TurboTax individual (personal) tax products, amending will become available 3/25/2021. I have also provided a help article below on how to amend your 2020 return:

How to amend (change or correct) a return you already filed

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
harold45
Returning Member

Amend 2020

My 2020 return has been paid.  Why can't I submit a 1040X for a 1099 I overlooked?  It looks like IRS says I can, but TurboTax says I can't.

harold45
Returning Member

Amend 2020

I have received my 2020 refund.  Now, I want to amend my 2020 return.  Appears IRS says I can, but TurboTax says I can't.

Amend 2020

Do not try to change anything on your return now.  When you amend, your Form 1040X has to be prepared from the return exactly the way it looked when you filed it originally.   You have to wait.   Once your return has been processed you will complete a Form 1040X   --- which is not yet available --- and submit it to amend the mistakes made when you filed your original return. It takes the IRS at least four months to process an amended return.

The Form 1040X you need is under revision and is not ready yet.  The Form 1040X does not become available in the software until March 18 (subject to change).

https://www.irs.gov/forms-pubs/new-information-for-form-1040-x-filers

The 1040X will not be available in the software until March 18.  You are correct that the the paper form is on the IRS site.   You can print out that 1040X form if you want to use it—-and prepare your amended return by hand to mail in instead of waiting to use the software and e-file it.

https://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/f1040x.pdf

Amend 2020

I waited until a return was filed, accepted, and refund deposited by the IRS.  I have gone back in to amend a return and it merely adds to the refund and doesn't complete the amended process.  I went through the amend a return selection on TurboTax.  What do I have to do now to amend and file electronically?  The IRS says that the forms for amended a return are complete and to contact your tax software company if it is not up to date. 

Amend 2020

I owe for 2020 so it could be a long time before I get a bill from them. I do not want to pay interest. I added my sister who moved into my basement who is disabled and now as a dependent she wont get a stimulus. I would rather she did. She pays a little to me to help but not equal to what we could get for a renter. I do not know what to do. I can amend and remove her as a dependent but could it then be too late?

ThomasM125
Employee Tax Expert

Amend 2020

If your sister qualifies as your dependent, then she needs to indicate that on her tax return even if you don't claim her. This would disqualify her for a stimulus check.

If she doesn't qualify, then you can amend your tax return and file one for her and she may or may not get the stimulus check.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
jgor43
Returning Member

Amend 2020

IRS accepted the return and I know that the next step is now to amend the return.  WHen will I be able to amend it as turbo tax is telling me that they or the IRS has not enabled amending of 2020 returns yet.  PS there is no refund the mistake resulted in them needing even more money; when in fact they will owe me money when the amended return can be processed.  Still don't have an answer from turbo tax when a 2020 return can be amended.

Amend 2020

@jgor43 wrote:

IRS accepted the return and I know that the next step is now to amend the return.  WHen will I be able to amend it as turbo tax is telling me that they or the IRS has not enabled amending of 2020 returns yet.  PS there is no refund the mistake resulted in them needing even more money; when in fact they will owe me money when the amended return can be processed.  Still don't have an answer from turbo tax when a 2020 return can be amended.

The 2020 federal amended tax return, Form 1040-X, is available on all TurboTax editions, online or desktop.

However, if you try and amend for the unemployment compensation exclusion it will not be allowed until the IRS has issued further guidance on how the IRS is going to handle the exclusion on tax returns already filed.

BillD64E

Amend 2020

I received several late updates from an investment company after I filed my 2020 tax return.  My return has been accepted and I have received my refund. I want to file an amended return but my version of Turbotax Deluxe has no information on how to process an amended return. Supposedly there is supposed to be a selection once you open the submitted tax file but I don't see any selection in the listings.  I just updated my TurboTax software today 4/2/21 as I write this so it is obvious the so-called 3/25/21 update didn't occur. 

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies