turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Accidently checked someone can claim me as a dependent

Hi, 

I am 26 and was a full time grad student in 2019.  I just realized on my 2018 and 2019 tax returns I accidently checked off that someone can claim me as a dependent. My return for both federal and state was accepted and I want to know if or how do I go about amending both.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

6 Replies
rjs
Level 15
Level 15

Please keep your related questions in one thread. Do not post separate questions about the same issue. It's too confusing and hard to follow, and hard to see the whole picture, if information is scattered in multiple threads. If you want to add more information or post a follow-up question, add a reply to your original question.

My apologies, I guess my main question was I accidently checked off that someone ( my mom) can claim me as a dependent. My federal and state return was accepted but should/do I amend?

This did not affect either return so you do not need to amend  ... you are only realizing it now due to the missing stimulus check.  It is too late to amend the return to get a stimulus check this year so all you can do is not repeat the same error on the 2020 return so the stimulus amount will be released. 

Oh ok, when I took notice of the error I asked my mom did she claim me and she said I am listed as one of the individuals that live int he home, but can't claim me as a dependent due to age and what not. Does the IRS check federal and state returns to correct this error?

You have been answered several times about this in more than one thread.  You are too old and made too much in 2019 for your mom to claim you as a dependent so there was NO reason for her to enter anything about you on her tax return.  You do not just list people who live with you on your tax return unless you intend to claim them as a dependent.   If she claimed you she would have received a $500 credit for other dependents that she should not have gotten.   So that was Mom's mistake.  And you said on your return that you could be claimed.  At this point, it is all moot.  Your tax due or refund was not affected by this.   And it is too late for the two of you to amend your tax returns in order for you to receive a stimulus check in 2020.  It is taking 4-6 months for the IRS to process amended tax returns.

If you just want to go to the aggravation of preparing amended tax returns and file it to say you cannot be claimed as a dependent then go ahead and do that if you just want to create some paperwork for the IRS that will not change anything.  On your tax return, change the way you answered the question in My Info that asked if you could be claimed as a dependent in 2019.  Mom needs to look at her own Form 1040 and go to My Info and delete you from her tax return.  She should also look at line 13a of her Form 1040.  If she got the $500 credit for other dependents then her return may be affected and she could owe some money to the IRS.

How do I amend my 2019 TurboTax Online return?

You can receive a stimulus check when you prepare and file your 2020 return in 2021.  Amending now will not result in the IRS sending you a stimulus check in 2020.

"Does the IRS check federal and state returns to correct this error?"

The IRS is concerned with your federal tax return.  Your state return is looked at by the state--not the IRS.

**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**

Got it. Thanks for the reply.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies