turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Accidentally filed as can be claimed as a dependent

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
AnnetteB6
Employee Tax Expert

According to the information on the IRS site, if you were claimed as a dependent or can be claimed as a dependent, then you will not be eligible for a stimulus payment.  Having checked the box on your return that you could be claimed as a dependent will disqualify you from receiving a stimulus payment.  

IRS - Economic Impact Payment

Before amending your return to change the question about being claimed as a dependent, you must be certain that you would not qualify as a dependent on another return based on all the facts and circumstances (whether or not you are actually being claimed).  Making a change in the return that you already filed stating it was true and correct simply to receive a stimulus payment can be construed as fraud.  Be cautious.  

You can and should amend your return to include the additional W-2s that you received.  

See the following TurboTax article for guidance:  How do I amend my 2019 TurboTax Online return?

@Tr

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

View solution in original post

14 Replies
AnnetteB6
Employee Tax Expert

According to the information on the IRS site, if you were claimed as a dependent or can be claimed as a dependent, then you will not be eligible for a stimulus payment.  Having checked the box on your return that you could be claimed as a dependent will disqualify you from receiving a stimulus payment.  

IRS - Economic Impact Payment

Before amending your return to change the question about being claimed as a dependent, you must be certain that you would not qualify as a dependent on another return based on all the facts and circumstances (whether or not you are actually being claimed).  Making a change in the return that you already filed stating it was true and correct simply to receive a stimulus payment can be construed as fraud.  Be cautious.  

You can and should amend your return to include the additional W-2s that you received.  

See the following TurboTax article for guidance:  How do I amend my 2019 TurboTax Online return?

@Tr

AlanKuy
Returning Member

If i amend now and am certain i will not or have not been claimed as dependent
will i still be able to receive the stimulus check? Even tho we are pass the date they have been sent out?

DMarkM1
Employee Tax Expert

Yes you will be eligible for a stimulus payment this year once your amendment is processed.  Stimulus payments are to continue throughout the year. 

dragonsage116
Returning Member

So I already amendment my taxes this year and just changed for "can be claimed", to I can't and downloaded the pdf so I could print it off at my work. Is that the 1040 form? or is it something else? If it is something else could you tell me where to go for the form.

I amended and only changed that I am independent because I wrongly chose that I was a dependent. But it doesn’t show it on the 1040X, am I supposed to send the updated 1040 form too? Or just the 1040X?

CatinaT1
Employee Tax Expert

It should show on the 1040X on page two where it shows if you are claiming yourself and how many dependents, if you are claiming them.  You send the 1040X and the corrected 1040.

Hello,

I accidentally filed as a dependent when I am not. I have been told that I have two options : 

1) amend and let the IRS know you are NOT a dependent.  Could take 16 weeks minimum for this to occur with no guidance from the IRS whether they will send out the stimulus immediately after processing the amendment.  Maybe they will and maybe the won't.

2) wait until the 2020 tax return and resolve at that point.  You'll know not to declare that someone else can claim you as a dependent 🙂 

• The stimulus payments are really based on your 2020 tax return (income, dependents, etc).
  • The IRS is using either 2018 or 2019 – whatever is available  - to ESTIMATE that payment
  • When you file next year there will be a “settle up” section on the tax return. 
  • If you are due more stimulus (and this would include where you simply never received it), you will receive it through the 2020 tax filing as an additional refund
  • If you received too much stimulus (not the issue here), by law , you are not required to return it

Let's say that I decide to take the chance to amend my 2019 tax return and let the IRS know that I am NOT  a dependent and... the IRS does NOT send me a stimulus check after processing the amendment for whatever reason. 

Will I still be able to resolve my stimulus payment and receive my "settle up" stimulus payment on my 2020 Tax Return? Or will I not be eligible because I amended my 2019 tax return and missed the deadline. 

Arodk

hey has anybody got their stimuls after making this mistake ? I made the same mistake I didn’t get the 1800$ on my taxes because I checked that box nor the 1400$ back I am so sad about it I can amend my 2020 returns on March 26th but I hate the waiting game , so if I amend my 2020 tax returns and fix the box I mistakenly check is there a chance I can recover that 3,200 I missed ?

When you amend the 2020 and put that you are not eligible to be a dependent and that you did not get the first two payments, then 1,800 will be added to your refund.  But the third payment is an advance on 2021 income taxes so will not be claimed on 2020 return.

Amend will be available in TurboTax in late March.  Do not attempt to amend until the function is available.  It is best to wait until your current return has been processed before filing an amend.

You generally must file an amended return within three years of the date you filed the original return or within two years after the date you paid the tax, whichever is later.

I made this mistake last year(2020) & amended my return the same year(2020) & I was able to claim my stimulus this year on my taxes. 

You are correct. To be eligible for the stimulus, you would not have been a dependent on someone else's tax return in 2020.

Here is a Turbotax calculator that lets you know if you're eligible for the stimulus check.

@Trinity-20

AlanKuy
Returning Member

Hi Mary, 

maybe you can help me.. 

i have filed my 2020 taxes and received my refund a week after. I have checked my eligibility for the third stimulus of $1,400. 
For some reason I am not receiving one, nor does the status on get my payment tell me if I am recieving one or not. 

If the status on the IRS site is stating that you are not receiving one, then it must be due to the fact that the information yo u provided on your 2020 return indicated that you could be (or have been or are going to be) claimed by someone else for 2020. If this is the case, and since your return has been processed and you received your refund, then you would want to follow Mary's instructions and file an amended return in order to accurately state that no one else is claiming you as their dependent for 2020. Be sure to note on the amended return the additional section that refers to your amendment being due to dependency status - just make sure you fill everything out completely. That will correct the error and you will eventually get your 3rd stimulus payment.

AlanKuy
Returning Member

Oh no, I definitely double checked and have a copy of my filed taxes. I have checked the “No” box in that section. 

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies