Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Event: Ask the Experts about your refund > RSVP NOW!
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

2020 Tax Topic 151/ Letter Sent

You received an easy one. Just fax over your W-2 . You filed before IRS had a chance to receive from your employee, so they don't have nothing to compare it to

Mfc12376
Returning Member

What is irs fax number to fax in w2? Having same issue

Why did they enclosed the American opportunity form if I did not claim that?

SForrestLO
Intuit Alumni

@Mfc12376

Please contact the IRS for that information.

How do I contact the Internal Revenue Service (IRS)? https://ttlc.intuit.com/replies/3301592

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
Mfc12376
Returning Member

Before you call, make sure you have all of the information that you need.
 - Social Security cards and birth dates for those who were on the return you are calling about.
 - An Individual Taxpayer Identification Number (ITIN) letter if you don’t have a Social Security number (SSN)
 - Filing status – Single, Head of Household, Married Filing Joint or Married Filing Separate
 - Your prior-year tax return. We may need to verify your identity before answering certain questions
 - A copy of the tax return you’re calling about
 - Any letters or notices we sent you

1. The IRS telephone number is [phone number removed], and they are available from 7 a.m. – 7 p.m. Monday thru Friday. The best time to call is early in the morning.
  2. The first question the automated system will ask you is to choose your language.
  3. Once you’ve set your language, do NOT choose Option 1 (regarding refund info). Choose option 2 for “Personal Income Tax” instead.
  4. Next, press 1 for “form, tax history, or payment”.
  5. Next, press 3 “for all other questions.”
  6. Next, press 2 “for all other questions.”
  7. When the system asks you to enter your SSN or EIN to access your account information, do NOT enter anything.
  8. After it asks twice, you will be prompted with another menu.
  9. Press 2 for personal or individual tax questions.
  10. Finally, press 4 for all other inquiries. The system should then transfer you to an agent

@MichelleLO Hello, you are in expert, my question to you is why is tax topic 151 no reference code is a topic that so many of us are beening hit with and can't no one tell us why? What should we do or except? Besides wait for a letter.... It's seems that tax topic is proving the children are education tax credit one claim? Does tax topic 151 no reference code mean that? Thank you in advance 😊

@dewilson2023 Hello, I am praying for you and your family that everything works out. God moves mountains and he will remove and fix this mess we all going through with the IRS. WE JUST HAVE TO PRAY FOR EACH OTHER AND HOLD OUR FAITH!!! 

Hello everyone, did anyone see any updates or find out any more information about tax topic 151? 

DaraLO
Intuit Alumni

Tax Topic 151 is an IRS code referring to your right to appeal a proposed adjustment or collection action taken by the IRS.  Read more here:  Topic No. 151 Your Appeal Rights

If you have not yet received an explanatory letter from the IRS, you can call them to inquire about your refund and what action you need to take.  Go here for tips on reaching a live IRS agent when you call.

I have been waiting 4 weeks and no letter yet from IRS.

NYS had mine also on pending-they sent a letter asking for copies of W-2s to verify because they

had different amount than I had put into Turbo Tax. I scanned them into their system and sent them

(they did match exactly what I had entered into TT).  Sent them the W-2s on 3/16/2020 and it was

confirmed they received them. No word from them yet.

SForrestLO
Intuit Alumni

This message means your return is under review for an unknown reason. The IRS will be sending you a letter about this.

Please see the IRS website for more information. Topic No. 151 Your Appeal Rights https://www.irs.gov/taxtopics/tc151

You can contact the IRS.

How do I contact the Internal Revenue Service (IRS)? https://ttlc.intuit.com/replies/3301592

I am having the same issue, I have pretty much had the same tax return for the last 3-5 years, and all of a sudden they are saying they can't verify the income from the w2 of my husbands new job in which he is still employed at. I think they are just so backed up and not enough employees to do the work and is just making excuses. It doesn't make any sense.

• In the news today

The IRS is also operating at less than full capacity at one of its busiest times of the year. The agency has been forced to close many offices or reduce operations in facilities across the country, including those performing “mission-critical” tasks.

Commissioner Charles Rettig said in an email to employees last week that even if a facility isn’t closed, its workforce will be cut in half to comply with social distancing orders.

Offices Closed

When will the IRS reopen?I was audited and they needed proof of all my information for dependents I sent that in back in late February early March have a tax advocate she told me maybe the end of May but I was just wondering what happens to my stuff doe it  just sit there because one's in the office. Is the processing center close as well?

Same as mine, I faxed all my documents that they needed and I am still waiting 

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies