Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Event: Ask the Experts about your refund > RSVP NOW!
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

2019 Tax Refund

I did a e-filing for my 2019 return through turbo tax on 04/05/2020 but somehow i missed mailing the 1040 to IRS . What are the options i have now ?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

19 Replies

2019 Tax Refund

When you e-file a tax return the Form 1040 is included with the electronically filed tax return, it is Not mailed to the IRS.

2019 Tax Refund

The IRS is far behind.  You can try contacting them for information on the return.

2019 Tax Refund

Thanks 🙂

2019 Tax Refund

Are you still waiting for your 2019 Refund?  If you efiled, Was it Accepted?  Maybe you didn't finish filing it or it Rejected.  When you log into your account you should also see the status and if it was Accepted or Rejected, Started, Printed, Ready to Mail, etc.  what does it say?

Then when you efile you get back 2 emails.  The first email only confirms the transmission.  The second email says if the IRS (or state) Accepte.d or Rejected your efile.  Check back though your emails if you have them.

If you didn't finish Efiling or it rejected you have to print and mail prior returns now.

Then only the IRS can tell you.

2019 Tax Refund

@GeorgeDenseff The OP states that he e-filed his 2019 return.   Why tell him to mail it?

@arpanghosh1990 

Do you know if your 2019 return was accepted?  What did your emails say after you filed?

When you e-file your federal return you will receive two emails from TurboTax.  The first one will say that your return was submitted.  The second email will tell you if your federal return was accepted or rejected.  If you e-filed a state return, there will be a third email to tell you if the state accepted or rejected your state return. 

Check your account for 2019.  If it says anything other than "accepted" your return was not filed.  Either it was rejected and you did not notice and/or follow up, or it was never filed at all.

If it was not filed, or was not accepted then print, sign and mail it now.

When you mail a tax return, you need to attach any documents showing tax withheld, such as your W-2’s or any 1099’s.  Use a mailing service that will track it, such as UPS or certified mail so you will know the IRS/state received the return.

Did you choose to have your TurboTax fees deducted from your federal refund?

Your tax refund was not sent to TurboTax.   TurboTax does not handle your refund at all.

Santa Barbara Tax Products Group, LLC  (SBTPG) is the bank that handles the Refund Processing Service when you choose to have your TurboTax fees deducted from your refund. This option also has an additional charge from the bank that processes the transaction. 

You can contact them SBTPG, toll-free, at 1-877-908-7228 or go to their secure website www.sbtpg.com 

https://ttlc.intuit.com/questions/2580357-who-provides-the-refund-processing-service 

If it was filed and accepted, then you have to follow up with the IRS to see what happened. 

To call the IRS:IRS:  800-829-1040  hours 7 AM - 7 PM local time Mon-Fri

Listen to each menu before making the selection.

First choose your language. Press 1 for English.

Then do NOT choose the first choice re: "Refund", or it will send you to an automated phone line.

Instead, press 2 for "personal income tax".

Then press 1 for "form, tax history, or payment".  

Then press 3 "for all other questions."

Then press 2 "for all other questions."  It should then transfer you to an agent.

If this is about your state refund then contact your state:

https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/state-taxes/help/how-do-i-contact-my-state-department-of-revenue/0...

**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**

2019 Tax Refund

@GeorgeDenseff   Why couldn't they efile 2019 in April 2020?  Last year, not 2021.

2019 Tax Refund

@arpanghosh1990 wrote:

Thanks 🙂

You stated that you e-filed the 2019 tax return.  When a tax return is electronically filed there in no need to print and mail any other forms to the IRS.  There are some uncommon instances where certain forms, not the Form 1040, have to be mailed and those would be noted on the Filing Instructions page.

2019 Tax Refund

I see the status as Printed and i dont have any emails about Acceptance or Rejection .

2019 Tax Refund

The filing instructions when i download my 1040 from turbotax i see the below instructions .

Mail your return and attachments to:
| Department of the Treasury
| Internal Revenue Service
| Fresno, CA 93888-0002
|
| Deadline: Postmarked by Wednesday, July 15, 2020

2019 Tax Refund

So did you mail it?   Why did you think it was efiled?

Printed or Ready to Mail means you have to actually print out your tax return and mail it to the IRS or state yourself.  So if you didn't mail it then it has not been filed yet.  And it will always say Ready to Mail.  Turbo Tax doesn’t know if or when you mailed it and the IRS doesn’t update Turbo Tax when they get your mailed return.    

2019 Tax Refund

so i am mailing it now that should be fine right ?

2019 Tax Refund

@arpanghosh1990 wrote:

so i am mailing it now that should be fine right ?

If you have a tax refund there are no penalties for filing after the due date.  If you have taxes owed, then pay the taxes as soon as possible.  After the IRS receives your tax return they will send you a bill in the mail for any penalties and interest for the taxes owed.

A 2019 tax return can only be printed and mailed, it cannot be e-filed.

Print, sign, date and mail the tax return to the IRS.  Include with the mailed return any forms W-2 and 1099 which have taxes withheld.  Go to this IRS website for mailing addresses - https://www.irs.gov/filing/where-to-file-paper-tax-returns-with-or-without-a-payment

There are no penalties for filing a tax return after the due date if filing for a tax refund or there are no taxes owed.

2019 Tax Refund

Do i need to post mark it ?

2019 Tax Refund

@arpanghosh1990 Anything you mail will have a postmark that is put there by the post office.   I think you mean ---should I use a mailing service to track it?   Yes, you should so that you know the IRS received it.  It takes months for the IRS to process a mailed return.   Unless you use a service that will track it and tell you the IRS received your return you will be waiting and wondering for months if they even received it.

Use certified mail from the post office and you will get  a receipt back that shows the return was received by the IRS.

**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies