Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

2019 Amended Return Filing Questions

Hello, I received the 1099s for a brokerage firm late and need to file an amended return for 2019.  The 1099s include a 1099-DIV with dividends, capital gains, and section 199A Dividends; and a 1099B with loss from sales of stocks/bonds.  The result is an increase of about $1,700 for the adjusted gross income, and $3 for the qualified business income deduction (QBI).  TurboTax generated the following:

-1040-X

- a new 1040SR with the revised numbers (changes on the dividend (line 3 - ordinary and qualified), capital gain (line 6), income and AGI (line 7b, 8b), QBI (line 10), income tax (line 12b increased), and refund (line 20, smaller due to more taxes)

- schedule 1 (no change on this form)

- schedule B (changed due to more dividends - ordinary and qualified)

- schedule D (added from the original return due to stock sale)

- form 8949 (added from the original return due to stock sale)

- schedule E (no change on this form)

- Form 8995 (added from the original return due to the QBI)

- Form 8582 and 8582 worksheet (no change on these 2 forms)

I was looking at a web site (dated 2018) that shows how to file an amended return.  It said not to send in the revised/new 1040 (1040SR), and also said only send in the forms and schedules that have changed.  But TurboTax generated all these forms above with the front sheet instructions to "mail the return, attachments and payment".  Per the website that I read, I am only supposed to send in the 1040X and the changed/new forms and schedules (definitely do not send the original or revised 1040SR, which would be - 

- 1040X, schedule B (changed), schedule D, form 8949 and form 8995 (new) 

Please advise.  Thank you.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

2 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

Correct ... you do not send in the new 1040SR ... that was part of the PDF for your benefit only.   Mail in the 1040X plus any form/schedules that have changes on them to support the explanation on page 2 of the 1040X and column B on the front.  

View solution in original post

attach only those Sequence Numbered tax forms and Schedules that changed or were added due to your amendment...

If you are using TurboTax you have to do this by visual comparison. The program won't break out those pages for you.

Poor.

Do not include your old 1040 nor your revised 1040 because the Form 1040X reflects any changes there and becomes your new tax return.

View solution in original post

7 Replies

Correct ... you do not send in the new 1040SR ... that was part of the PDF for your benefit only.   Mail in the 1040X plus any form/schedules that have changes on them to support the explanation on page 2 of the 1040X and column B on the front.  

attach only those Sequence Numbered tax forms and Schedules that changed or were added due to your amendment...

If you are using TurboTax you have to do this by visual comparison. The program won't break out those pages for you.

Poor.

Do not include your old 1040 nor your revised 1040 because the Form 1040X reflects any changes there and becomes your new tax return.

Thank you both for the replies.  I can send a check payment along with the amended return in the same envelope to mail?  The instructions said to write in my social security number.  Do you think it is ok if I don't write the SSN on the check?

If I decide to do electronic payment/direct pay online, do I need to wait until IRS receives the amended return I mail and post to "where is my amended return" site, or to wait until they actually process the return, which could take up to 16 weeks?  Or can I pay online using the IRS site right after I mail the amended return?  I am concerned that there is nothing in their system to match my online payment if I make the payment online in advance (separate from the paper return) and there is not a return to match in the system for a number of weeks.  Thank you. 

Yes you can send a check with the 1040X   and if you don't want to put your SS# on it then making the payment online is a really good option and you do not need to wait ... you can pay now before mailing in the return.   When you pay make sure to choose the correct tax year and tax form you are paying so it will match up correctly.  

TWOWUFUL
Returning Member

THE IRS KEEP REJECTING THE FORM DONT"T NEED TO ADD ANYTHING

TWOWUFUL
Returning Member

IT WILL NOT LET ME PRINT THEM TO SEND TO THE IRS

In the FILE tab choose to mail in the return then the correct forms and instructions will be presented in the Print Center. 

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies