turbotax icon
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

New Member

2018 taxes

I filed my 2018 taxes last night, I know silly of me to forget, but anyway they say 2020 up top, is this okay? Do I need to do something to change it?

4 Replies

2018 taxes

You have a problem.  A 2020 tax return cannot be filed with tax data from any other tax year except 2020.  If you are lucky the IRS will reject the e-filed tax return and then you can remove all the 2018 tax data and enter Only 2020 tax data then e-file the 2020 tax return again.


If the IRS accepts the 2020 tax return that was filed then you will have to wait for the IRS to send you a letter questioning what you reported on the 2020 tax return.

You will now have to amend the 2020 tax return and enter your 2020 tax data.

An amended return, Form 1040-X, can only be printed and mailed to the IRS if the original tax return was not e-filed. The IRS will take up to 16 weeks or longer to process an amended tax return.

See this TurboTax support FAQ on amending a tax return originally completed and filed using the 2020 TurboTax editions - https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/amending/help/how-do-i-amend-my-return/01/27439


To complete and file a 2018 tax return using TurboTax you would need to purchase, download and install on a personal computer one of the 2018 desktop editions from this website - https://turbotax.intuit.com/personal-taxes/past-years-products/


A 2018 tax return can only be printed and mailed, it cannot be e-filed.

2018 taxes

@ Kecrigg wrote:

I filed my 2018 taxes last night, I know silly of me to forget, but anyway they say 2020 up top, is this okay? Do I need to do something to change it?


Oh, no!  What did you do?  Did you use Online TurboTax to prepare a 2018 return?  Online TurboTax is only for 2020 returns.   If so, the IRS will think that is your 2020 return.


What do you mean by "filed?"    Did you actually efile it last night?   i.e., was it submitted, and has it been accepted?  If you are lucky, it will be rejected.   If it's accepted, however, then you've got a problem that will require an amended return.   In the meantime, don't do anything until you find out if the efile was accepted or rejected.   If you used Online TurboTax and submitted an efile, you can check the efile status at the Tax Home of your Online TurboTax account.   Until it is accepted or rejected, it would say "pending."


If you haven't yet efiled it, but were planning to print and mail it, then DON'T.     We can tell you how to prepare a 2018 return.


Have you already filed a 2020 return this year?

New Member

2018 taxes

Yea I thought I could, that’s what I get for not fully understanding, no I didn’t file 2020 yet I have an extension, right now it says pending I pray they reject it, I would of never known I didn’t file if I didn’t get a letter from the alcohol license saying I didn’t, so they couldn’t approve my license. I was in a rough time in my life and had moved from pa to sc so I had thought I lived in pa in 2018 turns out I moved down here in 2018. Do they have to reject both? Or just one

Level 15
Level 15

2018 taxes

@Kecrigg wrote:

Do they have to reject both? Or just one

Both of what? Do you mean that you filed both federal and state tax returns? If the federal return is rejected, the state will not be filed.

To be clear, you did file a 2020 tax return. The tax return that you filed last night (if it's not rejected) was your 2020 tax return, but with wrong information. You still have not filed a 2018 tax return.

See DoninGA's reply above for how to file your 2018 tax return.

If the erroneous 2020 tax return that you filed is accepted, you will have to wait until it has been processed, then file an amended return to remove the incorrect information and add the correct 2020 information.

If you lived in South Carolina all year in 2018, you will have to file a South Carolina tax return along with your federal tax return for 2018. If you lived in Pennsylvania part of 2018 and South Carolina part of 2018, you will have to file part-year resident returns for both states.


message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
message box icon

Ready to start your taxes?

Hand off your taxes, get expert help, or do it yourself.

See Pricing
Manage cookies