turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

daddyx02

My Turbo Tax says my return has been accepted, but the IRS website says it hasn't been? Is this normal?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

My Turbo Tax says my return has been accepted, but the IRS website says it hasn't been? Is this normal?

@Nelly4life   You are posting on someone else's post & the question has been answered.  When your return is accepted it means the you have passed the basic identity verification.  The IRS now has your return & is getting ready to process your return.  Once a return has been accepted, TurboTax does not get any more information from the IRS (or State)

The IRS website (Where's My Refund) does not update the current information at times.  Others have received their refund before their information shows up on the IRS website, Where's My Refund.  All you can do is keep checking the website to see if your information shows up soon.  The IRS website Where's My Refund, only updates once a day.

Also, see the following:

• February 22. Projected date for the IRS.gov Where's My Refund tool being updated for those claiming EITC and ACTC, also referred to as PATH Act returns.

• First week of March. Tax refunds begin reaching those claiming EITC and ACTC (PATH Act returns) for those who file electronically with direct deposit and there are no issues with their tax returns.

View solution in original post

155 Replies

It simply means that your e-filed return is being processed and that the government hasn't approved or rejected it yet.  Sometimes return status does not update for several days or even longer.

During this time, the government reviews your refund (processing).
During the review process, they look for math errors on your return (extremely rare in TurboTax) and they also check if you owe back taxes, unpaid child support, or other debts.

If they need to make any corrections, they may offset (reduce) your refund. In some cases, the correction might even increase your refund.

Once that part's done, the government approves your refund, which means it's ready to be deposited or sent.

It can take up to 21 calendar days after acceptance for the IRS to issue your refund, although most refunds go more quickly than that, while a small handful may take a bit longer.

YOU FAILED TO TOUCH THE SUBJECT ON WHY TURBOTAX WOULD SAY ITS BEEN ACCEPTED... WHEN IRS SAYS IT HASNT. READ MUCH??
rdcramer3

But it is now over 60 days, with no refund (of $2514) received, and the IRS's "where's my refund" site saying they have no record of my return ever being filed, despite my Turbotax filing saying that it has been accepted. Please advise.

Check again to make sure your return was accepted.  "Accepted" is not the same as "approved."

https://turbotax.intuit.com/tax-tools/efile-status-lookup/

https://ttlc.intuit.com/questions/2584108-why-is-there-no-record-of-my-return-at-where-s-my-refund-w...

Sometimes people get confused by the “summary” given by TurboTax and use the wrong amount for the federal refund.  Make sure you are only using the federal refund amount, and not an amount that combined your federal and state refunds.

Your federal refund amount is on line 20a of your Form 1040

https://www.irs.gov/refunds/tax-season-refund-frequently-asked-questions

**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**

Do TurboTax mail your return if you couldn't efile

@Rashadscott99 No.  TurboTax does not ever mail your return for you.   If you choose to file by mail then YOU have to print it, sign it and mail it yourself.

When you mail a tax return, you need to attach any documents showing tax withheld, such as your W-2’s or any 1099’s.  Use a mailing service that will track it, such as UPS or certified mail so you will know the IRS/state received the return.

**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**

I am having the same exact problem this year(2020)... anybody knows what the deal is?

@Brandonpaulcarpenter1    You posted to a really old thread that has posts from multiple people.  So what "exact" same problem are you having?  We cannot tell.

I’m having the same problem. Turbo says refund was accepted but irs.gov says still being processed. I did mine in February and it’s been over 30 days. I’ve gotten my state but not federal. I’ve done called but due to COVID they are short staffed and I just go a recording. So idk what to do. 

JakailaLO
Intuit Alumni

Only the IRS would know why your return is still processing. TurboTax does not get any information about your return or refund once your return is accepted.

Since it has been over 21 days you can call the IRS for information.

The IRS telephone number is 1-800-829-1040, and they are available from 7 a.m. – 7 p.m. Monday thru Friday. The best time to call is early in the morning.

- The first question the automated system will ask you is to choose your language.
- Once you’ve set your language, do NOT choose Option 1 (regarding refund info). Choose option 2 for “Personal Income Tax” instead.
- Next, press 1 for “form, tax history, or payment”.
- Next, press 3 “for all other questions.”
-Next, press 2 “for all other questions.”
- When the system asks you to enter your SSN or EIN to access your account information, do NOT enter anything.
-After it asks twice, you will be prompted with another menu.
-Finally, press 2 for personal or individual tax questions. The system should then transfer you to an agent.

View solution in original post

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

It says they are closed. I’ve been calling all day. 

CassLO
Intuit Alumni

@JoeLee You have to wait 24 hours after acceptance before being able to track your refund on the IRS website. Be sure when checking Where’s My Federal Refund? site that you are entering only your Federal refund amount. This can be found on your Federal form 1040, line 21a. Also if you paid any fees out of your federal refund, use the refund figure prior to the deduction of he fees. If you are filing joint, be sure to enter the filers information that appears first on the return.

Please see the link below for more information:

Why is there no record of my return at Where's My Refund (WMR)

It’s been over a month. I’ve gotten my state but not federal. So I checked it and it says still being processed. I’ve called and they are closed. I don’t know what to do now. 

DonnaLO
Expert Alumni

Processing simply means that the IRS is working on your return, it is the stage after accepted and before being approved.   Here is more information on what's happening with your return

https://ttlc.intuit.com/replies/4689484

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies