turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

NashayLO
Intuit Alumni

My tax transcript say minus sign signifies a credit amount, what does that actually mean? Will I receive my refund or did the government take it?

@DHeath1986 If you want to check when you are going to get your refund and how much it is going to be, go to Where is My Refund not the transcript, the transcript is not always accurate for refunds due. 

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

My tax transcript say minus sign signifies a credit amount, what does that actually mean? Will I receive my refund or did the government take it?

Mines the same except the negative numbers are the same soo confusing! Any update on yours?

just look at the account balance at the top of page 1.

a minus sign indicates your refund.

CortKK

Oh my goodness thank the Lord I dug into some information based on someone's comment on Facebook regarding the message I get when I go to where's my refund the bar disappeared and now it just says your return is being processed and there's finally my transcripts available so I think that means I should be getting my refunds soon but it said negative $3875.00 I  And I was worried that it meant that they were taking it but I have no idea why because I've never owed them anything so I am glad to hear that this means it is a credit and that they owe me and that is my refund I was stressin man!!!

Okay so my account has two valences. the top one is what turbo tax said my refund was and the bottom one is about 2,800 less than what i am supposed to be getting. does this mean i did my taxes wrong?? turbo tax said it was accepted but still waiting for where my refund to update

Look again ... that 2800 was the stimulus credit which is part of your refund if you didn't get in in advance.  If you did then the refund will be reduced by that same 2800. 

We didn’t receive it tho. that’s why it’s so confusing🤷🏼‍♀️

DHeath1986
Returning Member

Yeah no my transcripts where correct I revived only around $1,500 something if my $10,800 something refund because for some reason I’m being audited to prove my kids are mine whom I claimed for the last 4 years along with my last three tax returns all being within $600 + or - for the AGI and the refund amount for the last 4 years as well as HOH and 2 dependents but instead of it being a simple return of just one 1099 and CTC with EIC now I got to deal with proving my kids are mine whom I claim every year and now wait up to 6-8 weeks for the rest of my tax refund 

JillS56
Expert Alumni

Please clarify your question.   

Have you checked Where's my Refund?   That is where it is going to tell you if you are getting a refund and when you can expect to receive it.    If it does not show that they are processing or completed and provide you with a refund and refund date, then they are still processing.   

The transcript can give you valuable information, but the Return Transcript just shows what was received.   The Account Transcript shows if there are any adjustments to the amount of your refund.  

kyrapatty

Did you ever figure out what it meant? 

What it mean when it desaturated credit to ur acc but with a minus sign

CarissaM
Intuit Alumni

For any questions regarding the transcript, please follow the instructions here to contact the IRS. @Jopanica86

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
dixon661

what does credit to your account means?

Cass0317
Intuit Alumni

Please see this community post here for information on what the minus sign and credit to your account means on the IRS transcript.

If you have additional questions, please contact the IRS directly here: 

How do I contact the Internal Revenue Service (IRS)?

@dixon661

tolex244

A negative on the transcript means that a refund is due on the return, [removed link} does not indicate when a refund is on its way [removed link] or when it will be received.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies