turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

lizzy8222

My return was excepted on July 5 by the IRS, I Called them on July 28 they said my return is in the errors department and could take up to eight weeks, why is this?

I asked them if there was anything I could do or what the errors were and they could not tell me, they said They weren’t sure if it was an error on my part or a error in their system?
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

6 Replies

My return was excepted on July 5 by the IRS, I Called them on July 28 they said my return is in the errors department and could take up to eight weeks, why is this?

Once a tax return has been Accepted by the IRS or a State, TurboTax receives no further information concerning the tax return or the status of any tax refund.  Only the taxpayer listed on the tax return can obtain the status of a tax refund or a tax return.

lizzy8222

Ok...so why am I paying for extra services that turbo tax promotes to handle everything after I file , I think I deserve a better answer that pertains to my actual return, I also received an email from TurboTax right after I filed that said if I had any issues with my return or got a letter from the IRS to let TurboTax know and they will take care of it ,so I would like to utilize the services that I’m paying for and investigate why my Refund is in the errors department!!! The sole reason I am paying the extra money For the All the upgraded services Is so I don’t have to deal with this myself,  but thank you for your answer... I would like a better one!!There has to be an explanation And if I have to sit on the phone with the IRS AGAIN for three hours I’d rather not pay for the service!! Have a lovely day, thank you for your time!

If the "extra services" purchased you are referring to is the Max benefits package which includes Audit Defense, that is handled by a third party, not TurboTax.  TurboTax only provides the do-it-yourself software to assist in completing a tax return.  TurboTax is not a paid tax professional such as a CPA, EA or Tax Attorney so cannot legally contact the IRS on your behalf.

If you purchased Audit Defense -

After you sign up, you'll get an email from TaxAudit.com with membership details within seven business days.

If you didn't get the email, check your spam or bulk email folders. The sender's address is AuditDefenseCertificate@taxaudit.com.

For questions or concerns about your Audit Defense membership, contact TaxAudit.com at intuit.taxaudit.com or by calling toll-free (877) 829-9695.

If you paid for the audit protection then  IF you get an audit letter you can get help with it  but right now you are being held up in processing and there is nothing anyone can do for you until  the IRS sends a notice letting you know why/what is the issue.   When you get a notice post back for more assistance.

It is possible the situation will resolve itself and no notice will be issued.  All you can do is wait patiently for the IRS to process the return. 

ddel831

I am in the same circumstances.  I corrected all the error the program said it saw and sent it.  That was April 13, now the IRS said there are errors and they will need more time to look at the return.  They have had this return for 2 months.  Now they say that I may have to pay a fine and interest on the amount owed.  

A common adjustment is if you claimed the Recovery rebate credit on 1040 line 30 when you already got the Stimulus payment or got the second one after you filed or reported the wrong amounts or entered them in the wrong box.  Do you have an amount on line 30?

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies