Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

a7x120

My refund was accepted but i cant track it, it keeps telling me i have to wait 24 hours after the irs has accepted, why cant i track my refund

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

27 Replies
BrandiLO
Intuit Alumni

My refund was accepted but i cant track it, it keeps telling me i have to wait 24 hours after the irs has accepted, why cant i track my refund

To use the IRS tool correctly, you must wait 24-48 hours after filing and being accepted to check the status of your refund. Please make sure you are entering the exact amount of your refund as shown on your federal tax return.

• If you filed a Form 1040, the Refund Amount is shown on Line 20a.
  • If you filed a Form 1040NR, the Refund Amount is shown on Line 73a.
  • If you filed a Form 1040NR-EZ, the Refund Amount is shown on Line 23a.
  • If you filed a Form 1040PR, the Refund Amount is shown on Line 13a.
  • If you filed a Form 1040SS, the Refund Amount is shown on Line 13a.

Additionally, be certain you are choosing the correct filing status.

• If you filed a Form 1040, the Filing Status is shown on the top of the form above your name and social security number.
  • If you filed a Form 1040NR, the Filing Status is shown on Page 1, Boxes 1 through 6
  • If you filed a Form 1040NR-EZ, the Filing Status is shown on Page 1, Boxes 1 through 2
  • If you filed a Form 1040PR, the Filing Status is shown on Page 1, Part 1 Line 1
  • If you filed a Form 1040SS, the Filing Status is shown on Page 1, Part 1 Line 1

Finally, if you claimed the EIC or Additional Child Tax Credit, the IRS will begin issuing tax refunds on these returns on February 27, 2019 per the rules of the PATH act. If this applies to you, you may not see an update until late February. For more information on the PATH act and tracking your refund, please see the TurboTax FAQs below.

https://ttlc.intuit.com/replies/5340655

https://ttlc.intuit.com/replies/5556415

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

I was accepted and it still says i have to wait 24 hrs and i been accepted on my federal since the 20th and my state also since the 30th so i dont get y i cant track my funds 

DonnaLO
Expert Alumni

Start by checking your e-file status, it's possible your return is still Pending and hasn't been Accepted yet.  

Here's help for checking your e-file status:

https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/return-status/help/how-do-i-check-my-e-file-status/01/25538#M91

If there is no record of your return at where's my refund  or you are getting the message "You may not have entered your information correctly",  an important factor can be if you are married filing jointly.  Make sure you are using the Social Security Number for the name that appears first on the return.  Keep in mind that once the IRS notifies TurboTax that your return was accepted we won't get any more information from them.

Here are some other common reasons why your refund is not showing at Where's My Refund:

https://ttlc.intuit.com/replies/4242575

Its been 20 days since i efiled irs is saying i have to wait 24 hours?

Its been 21 days

DaveF1006
Expert Alumni

Usually it takes awhile for the return to get recognized by the IRS servers. Once your return has been accepted by the IRS, your refund should arrive within 21 days. Give it time !! Also give it at least a week after acceptance before you begin acquiring about your refund status.

Its been 20 days the irs said i have to wait 24 hours after i file?

They alread accepted it?

RobertG
Expert Alumni

When checking on the status of your refund at the IRS Where's My Refund (WMR) site, you may get the message: 

We cannot provide any information about your refund. You must wait at least 24 hours after you get the acknowledgment e-mail that your tax return was received by the IRS.

You might receive this message because:

• Your e-filed return was accepted (received) by the IRS less than 24 hours ago. Wait at least 24 hours after acceptance before using WMR.
  • Your return is still pending.
  • You never e-filed. You can quickly find out if you did by checking your status.
    • If you don't see a status, go through the TurboTax File section again. Be sure to go all the way to the end and select Transmit my returns now.
  • You mailed your return less than 4 weeks ago. Paper-filers should wait four weeks before using WMR.
  • If it's late January or early February, WMR can be overwhelmed by early filers. Call the WMR automated hotline instead: 1-800-829-1954.

My refund was accepted Feb 21 2021 but the WHERE'S MY REFUND continues to post the message  'I have to wait 24 hours'. What is the issue?

JeanneLO
Intuit Alumni

Try calling this number 1-800-829-1954 instead for the automated Where's My Refund phone line. Sometimes the Where's My Refund? system does not update properly or the number of people checking this time of year causes errors.

@type-writer

I called the 800 number only to get the same answer ... 'You will have to wait 24 hours." Now what?

EbonyA
Intuit Alumni

@type-writer, You will need to give it more time for system updates as JeanneLO mentioned above. Additionally, although the IRS provides a guideline of 21 days to release most refunds, some returns take longer to process based on various reasons including certain credits claimed. The FAQ below serves as a reference:

Why do some refunds take longer than others?

I simply want to know if the IRS received my tax return. It was e-filed on Feb 21st and I received an email from TurboTax  a day later stating that  they did.

However,  after 18 days, I'm still getting the same 'You need to wait 24-48 hours'  message. Since the IRS site will not give me my status,  I'm wondering if  they actually  received my tax return.  How can I be assured that they did.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies