My husband received a W2 for 2020 from an employer...

rena-r-good

My husband received a W2 for 2020 from an employer he quit from in Dec 2019. Why would they send a W2 and do we have to amend our taxes if we already filed?

Anonymous
Not applicable

If the W-2 has income not included in a tax return submitted, you would need to amend your tax return after it has been processed by the IRS. See this FAQ on How to amend a return.

If he quit in December they may have paid his last check in January.  Maybe check your deposits.  Or you'll have to ask the employer.  Yes you have to report it.

You cannot change or add anything on the return that you e-filed.  It is too late, just like when you put an envelope in a US mailbox

Now you have to wait until the IRS either rejects or accepts your return. Which won't be until Feb 12 this year. If your return is rejected, you will be able to go into your account and add or change it and resend it. Click on Add a State to let you back into your return..

If the IRS accepts your return, then you have to wait until it has been fully processed and you have received your refund or paid the tax due. THEN you can prepare an amended tax return 1040X and mail it in. You cannot e-file an amended return.  Meanwhile, DO NOT change anything on your return until you start the amended return. If you did change or add the missing info then take it out and put your return back to the way it was when you first filed it.

You can check your efiling status here,
https://turbotax.intuit.com/tax-tools/efile-status-lookup/

How to amend an Online return
https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/amending/help/how-do-i-amend-my-turbotax-online-return/00/27577

rena-r-good

What happens if you don’t amend your taxes?

You may get a bill from the IRS.  They get copies of all the W2s and will be expecting to see it on your return.