Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

My federal return was rejected. Customer service messages: "none"

I efiled my federal return today, and it was rejected.  When I click "Show Message", it gives me a dialog called "Customer Service Messages", and the only contents are the time, the date, and the word "none."  When I clicked "Help Me Fix It", it took me straight to "Let's Re-file Your Return."  How can I find out what the actual problem was?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

7 Replies

You received an email that we cannot see that tells you why your tax return was rejected.  

Some rejected returns can be fixed and re-filed.  Some have “un-fixable” reasons for the rejection and have to be mailed instead. What is the rejection code or rejection message? 

If it was rejected for AGI—-your 2022 AGI might not be in the IRS system if you filed late.   Try using zero instead.

If filing with zero is rejected then file again but select the option that you did not file last year.  The IRS does not see that question and it will allow you to e-file with no AGI question.

https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/agi/help/where-do-i-correct-my-agi-in-turbotax-online/00/26311

If that does not work and you still cannot e-file, then print, sign, and mail your tax return.

**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**

Thanks for the response.

The only email I got was from TurboTax, telling me that it had been rejected and pointing me to the FAQ.  Was I supposed to get one from the IRS?

The email has a rejection message or rejection code.  Tell us what the rejection email says---word for word.

**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**

Your federal tax return was rejected

Don’t worry—we can help you get it fixed.

We’ll walk you through each step of updating
and resubmitting your return.

What happened

To update your return

Learn more

We’ll help you get this updated on your federal return and e‑file.

Once you’ve opened your return in TurboTax, the details about what needs updating will be displayed.

From there we can walk you through making the updates you need and help you e‑file your return. If it isn’t possible to e‑file your return, we’ll make sure you have everything you need to print and file your tax return by mail.

Important filing deadlines

If your return is rejected before the April 15, 2024 tax filing deadline has passed, you can still correct and re‑file your tax return before April 20, 2024.
Learn more

If you e‑filed any state returns, you’ll receive separate status emails about those returns. Delays in e‑filing your federal return may cause delays in your state tax return. And remember, keeping a copy of all status update emails like this one is always a good idea.

Check before you click! TurboTax will never ask you for your personal information
in an email. When you click on a link, the address should always contain "intuit.com/".

Legal

Privacy

Security
Intuit respects the personal nature of email. Please note that if you have chosen not to receive marketing messages from Intuit, that choice applies only to promotional materials. You will continue to receive notifications that are legally required or could affect your service, software or account.

This email was sent to the following address:
[email address removed]
Did you receive this email in error? Find out why
If you feel you have received this message in error or would like to unsubscribe, please click here or go to Manage Preferences.

© 2024 Intuit Inc. All rights reserved. Trademark.

Customer Communications, 2800 E. Commerce Center Place, Tucson, AZ 85706

XXXXX-X

I'm not seeing a rejection code.  My apologies if I'm missing it.  Unfortunately it won't let me paste in the actual HTML of the email, but here's the text:

Your federal tax return was rejected
Don’t worry—we can help you get it fixed.
We’ll walk you through each step of updating
and resubmitting your return.

What happened To update your return

Learn more

We’ll help you get this updated on your federal return and e‑file. Once you’ve opened your return in TurboTax, the details about what needs updating will be displayed.

From there we can walk you through making the updates you need and help you e‑file your return. If it isn’t possible to e‑file your return, we’ll make sure you have everything you need to print and file your tax return by mail.

To check your e-file status in TurboTax, select the File tab and...

Important filing deadlines
If your return is rejected before the April 15, 2024 tax filing deadline has passed, you can still correct and re‑file your tax return before April 20, 2024.
Learn more

If you e‑filed any state returns, you’ll receive separate status emails about those returns. Delays in e‑filing your federal return may cause delays in your state tax return. And remember, keeping a copy of all status update emails like this one is always a good idea.
Check before you click! TurboTax will never ask you for your personal information
in an email. When you click on a link, the address should always contain "intuit.com/".
Facebook Instagram Twitter TikTok YouTube Blog

Legal

Privacy

Security Intuit respects the personal nature of email. Please note that if you have chosen not to receive marketing messages from Intuit, that choice applies only to promotional materials. You will continue to receive notifications that are legally required or could affect your service, software or account.

Good grief  --  what a useless message....   Contact customer support for help with this.   Without a rejection code or specific message we do not know how to help you fix it.  Sorry.

To call TurboTax customer support

https://ttlc.intuit.com/questions/1899263-what-is-the-turbotax-phone-number

Customer support is available from 5 a.m. to 9 p.m. Pacific time

Thanks... I would like to avoid that nightmare if possible.  I decided to just go through all the "Review" and "File" steps again, and re-file.  This time when I did, I got the usual "In Progress: Your TurboTax Return Status" email, which I didn't get the time that it was rejected.  So... I'm cautiously optimistic that I've gotten past it.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies