turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

lmsm5688

My check account was closed so I need to change how I receive my refund check

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

If you have not filed yet, then go back through the interview to file your return.  When you get to the screen where it asks how do you want your refund, you can change it there.

If you already filed your return you will have to wait until you get the status of your return (accepted or rejected). The IRS is not accepting returns until January 23rd.

If it gets accepted you will not be able to change it, if your banking information is wrong, then your refund will automatically be switched to receiving a check once your bank rejects the direct deposit.

If your return gets rejected, you can change your refund option, and the re-e-file

View solution in original post

3 Replies

If you have not filed yet, then go back through the interview to file your return.  When you get to the screen where it asks how do you want your refund, you can change it there.

If you already filed your return you will have to wait until you get the status of your return (accepted or rejected). The IRS is not accepting returns until January 23rd.

If it gets accepted you will not be able to change it, if your banking information is wrong, then your refund will automatically be switched to receiving a check once your bank rejects the direct deposit.

If your return gets rejected, you can change your refund option, and the re-e-file

Kimmy2

So if it is rejected because my account was closed, I can choose another option or put in another checking account #? Even if I did basic e-file 

TerukoL
Intuit Alumni

If you entered incorrect banking information for your refund, you can change it if your return is rejected.  If it is accepted, however, it is too late to change it.  The bank will reject the refund and send it back to the IRS.  Then the IRS will issue a paper check and mail it to the address you put on your tax return.  Expect a delay of at least a couple of weeks to receive your refund.

Here is what the IRS says about entering incorrect banking information

https://www.irs.gov/help-resources/tools-faqs/faqs-for-individuals/frequently-asked-tax-questions-an...

https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/refunds/help/what-if-i-entered-the-wrong-bank-account-for-direct-d...

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies