turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

It's been more than 10 weeks and the IRS is still playing with my **bleep** money

" are they going to add a penalty and interest to my $643?"

actually your refund check, when if arrives, will include a small amount of interest (taxable income).

It's been more than 10 weeks and the IRS is still playing with my **bleep** money

I filed my 2020 tax returns (10400-SR) through Turbotax, printed it out, and mailed it at my local post office same day:  May 03, 2021.  I received confirmation from Turbotax of completing the filing and printing it out.  I decided not to e-file, but drove to the post ioffice in my town and mailed it same day... No refund nor any other kind of communication has arrived, and it is now 13 weeks..  I've tried all the IRS phone numbers and no help... as if it never was received.  What if it was lost in the mail?  Can you help me determine if the IRS even received my tax filing?  I appreciate what help you can give me. I've used Turbotax for many years and never ever had a problem.  My refund amount of $2234.00 is simply the amount I designate every year for withhoolding. IThank you so much. 

My email:  [email address removed].

My phone [phone number removed].

Idell [removed last name & address]

Albuquerque, NM  87110

@igonaway 

This is a public web site that can be seen by anyone—including scammers and would-be identity thieves who would love to contact you and pretend to be from TurboTax.  Please remove the personal information you posted here ASAP by returning to your post and clicking the three little blue dots on the upper right to edit your post.

MAILED RETURNS

Per the IRS:

COVID-19 Mail Processing Delays

It’s taking us longer to process mailed documents including:

• Paper tax returns, and
  • All tax return related correspondence.

We are processing all mail in the order we received it.

Do not file a second tax return or call the IRS.

It can take 3-4 weeks  (or a LOT longer since the IRS is severely backlogged) for anything to show up on the IRS site when you mail a tax return.  Expect at least 6-8 weeks for complete processing of a mailed return and probably  MUCH MUCH longer.

If  you mail a tax return (or a payment) to the IRS, it is a good idea to use a mailing service that will track it like UPS or certified mail so you will know it was received.

When you mail a tax return, you need to attach any documents showing tax withheld, such as your W-2’s or any 1099’s. 

TurboTax will not know anything about your mailed return, and will continue to show “Ready to Mail” on your account.  TurboTax will not know that you put your tax return in an envelope and took it to a mailbox.  TurboTax does not get updates on mailed  (or e-filed) returns.

When the IRS opens its mail and begins to process mailed returns you can check the status on the IRS site. https://www.irs.gov/refunds

State returns have to be mailed to the state.

https://ttlc.intuit.com/questions/1899433-how-do-i-track-my-state-refund

If you are wondering if you should send your return again——the IRS does not want you to file a second time.   Putting two tax returns into the system at the same time can lead to confusion and even more delays.   If you did not use tracking and do not know if the return was received—-you have to make your own judgement call and decide if you want to risk further delay by sending the return again.

**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**

After months of pending and you guys robbing people with your misleading options for pandemic assistance in regards to how you pay the filing fees. I am now stuck with a 5071C letter to verify my identity. I tried to verify my identity and wasn't able to get through online or the phone. I am stuck now not knowing what's going to happen to my refund. 

Does anyone on here have any suggestions?

@Annoyed12 Understand  and sympathize with your frustration, but the IRS can request that anyone verify identity randomly or if they see something on your return that triggers the request.   You need to comply with the request and verify asap to get your delayed refund.

I HAVE TO VERIFY MY IDENTITY

https://turbotax.intuit.com/tax-tips/security/tips-for-handling-identity-verification-requests-from-...

https://www.irs.gov/identity-theft-fraud-scams/identity-verification-for-irs-letter-recipients

**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**

I appreciate your sympathy but this situation is just all bad.

I don't mind verifying my identity at all. The problem is I tried doing it online and it didn't go through and said it couldn't verify my identity. Next thing was to call. I kept trying all day and the call didn't get through because "they can't receive my request at this time and try again"

It's just really messed up on everyone's part that is involved during this tax filing season. I know it's not just me but everyone who is going through the same thing. It's horrific during a time of struggle and climb.

If I can't verify by trying to do it online and phone... How am I going to ever get my refund from the IRS?

Tash24

Same here I filled February 6th and now it’s April 12 and haven’t gotten any thing yet and I’m broke af…..it just says my return is being processed like how is that gonna take 😑😑😑😑….I’m so frustrated 

Cynthiad66
Expert Alumni

IRS processes tax returns.  TurboTax is a self prepare tax platform.  IRS does not share the status of returns once they have been accepted by the IRS.  IRS has a site that provides additional information on the status of the return you file.

Please click here for Refund Status.

@Tash24

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

why i didnt receive my federal check yet?

@jessicacruz wrote:

why i didnt receive my federal check yet?

Did you e-file your tax return and was it accepted?
Only the IRS and your State control when and if a Federal or State tax refund is Approved and Issued.

You complete your tax return by finishing all 3 Steps in the File section. In Step 3, to e-file your tax return, you must click on the large button labeled "Transmit my returns now".

After completing the File section and e-filing your tax return you will receive two emails from TurboTax. The first email when your tax return was transmitted and the second email when the tax return has either been accepted or rejected.

Note - Once a tax return has been Accepted by the IRS or a State, TurboTax receives no further information concerning the tax return or the status of any tax refund.  Only the taxpayer listed on the tax return can obtain the status of a tax refund or a tax return.

To check the status of an e-filed return, open up your desktop product or log into your TurboTax Online Account. You can find your status within the TurboTax product.
If accepted by the IRS use the federal tax refund website to check the refund status - https://www.irs.gov/refunds
If accepted by the state use this TurboTax support FAQ to check the state tax refund status - https://ttlc.intuit.com/questions/1899433-how-do-i-track-my-state-refund

After the tax return has been Accepted by the IRS (meaning only that they received the return) it will be in the Processing mode until the tax refund has been Approved and then an Issue Date will be available on the IRS website.
See this IRS website for federal tax refund FAQ's - https://www.irs.gov/refunds/tax-season-refund-frequently-asked-questions

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies