Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

bgw618

IRS is still processing my income tax return

I used Turbo Tax to do my return but someone Turbo Tax refused to file it online. Since it was July 15th, I mailed a physical copy of the return with a check for taxes.  IRS deposted the check but is still prcessing my return.  It is now almost 5 months and when I called IRS they just said they are processing and will not know when they will get around to it - the COVID excuse.

Because of this, I did not receive the $1200 COVID relief money and Medicare is asking me to pay more for part B.  They are basing this on my 2018 return which was substantially higher than my 2019 return.  Can Turbo Tax  file my 2019 return online now?  What can I do to get my tax return processed by IRS? 

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

3 Replies

No you cannot e-file 2019 now.  E-filing for 2019 closed in October.  If you did not receive the stimulus money this year you will have a chance to get it when you prepare your 2020 return.  The stimulus money folks received this year was really an advance for a credit you can get on your tax return for 2020.  You will see it on line 30 of your 2020 Form 1040.

And....sorry but there is not a way that TurboTax can speed up the IRS for you.  The IRS has been processing millions of mailed tax returns that piled up in trailers during the pandemic.  They may have cashed the check but have not done the rest of whatever they do to get the return into the system.  TurboTax cannot intercede for you with the IRS.

To call the IRS:IRS:  800-829-1040  hours 7 AM - 7 PM local time Mon-Fri

Listen to each menu before making the selection.

First choose your language. Press 1 for English.

Then do NOT choose the first choice re: "Refund", or it will send you to an automated phone line.

Instead, press 2 for "personal income tax".

Then press 1 for "form, tax history, or payment".  

Then press 3 "for all other questions."

Then press 2 "for all other questions."  It should then transfer you to an agent.

**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**

2019 e-file is closed after Oct 15.  In any event, filing a 2nd return when the first is being processed can almost guarantee a years delay.  There are millions of mailed returns waiting to be processed according to a recent Forbes article. 

**Disclaimer: This post is for discussion purposes only and is NOT tax advice. The author takes no responsibility for the accuracy of any information in this post.**

Ok  ... you have 2 separate issues.

Until they process the 2019 return the stimulus check will not be issued and there is nothing you can do about it but wait.  If they do not issue the check by 12/31 then you will be able to apply for the credit when you file the 2020 return.

Next the increase in Medicare premiums due to the 2018 return AGI ... this is normal that the 2021 cost is based on the return 2 years back ... this is the norm.  So the 2018  return you filed in 2019 is the baseline for the 2021 increase.  The 2019 return has nothing to do with this.   NOW ... if the 2018 income was unusually higher than normal for a one time situation like you sold a property, sold a stock, took out a large pension/IRA distribution or something like that then you can contest the increase ... follow the instructions in the notice you received.   https://www.aarp.org/retirement/social-security/questions-answers/medicare-premium-irmaa.html

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies