Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

IRS has no record of my filing

I filed my 2019 taxes on 5/1. Turbo Tax says my filing was "accepted" by the IRS.  When I checked on 6/22, the IRS says it has no record of my filing.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

152 Replies

https://ttlc.intuit.com/questions/2584108-why-is-there-no-record-of-my-return-at-where-s-my-refund-w...

Sometimes people get confused by the “summary” given by TurboTax and use the wrong amount for the federal refund.  Make sure you are only using the federal refund amount, and not an amount that combined your federal and state refunds. 

Your federal refund amount is on line 20 of your Form 1040

https://www.irs.gov/refunds/tax-season-refund-frequently-asked-questions

**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**

I didn't use the "Where's my refund" option. I logged into the IRS site to get a transcript of my 2018 and 2019 returns.   While all previous years were listed, the 2019 return had a "*"  by it and it said that it had not been received.  I filed on 5/11 and it is now 6/23.

I filed my return in March and IRS has no record. I’m not getting a refund so not looking for money but would like to know why they are showing they have not processed my return. Did you ever get a response?

@Lsmith1170 wrote:

I filed my return in March and IRS has no record. I’m not getting a refund so not looking for money but would like to know why they are showing they have not processed my return. Did you ever get a response?

If you are not receiving a federal tax refund the IRS does not have a way to check the status of your tax return.

After completing the File section and e-filing your tax return you will receive two emails from TurboTax. The first email when your tax return was transmitted and the second email when the tax return has either been accepted or rejected.

Call the IRS: 1-800-829-1040 hours 7 AM - 7 PM local time Monday-Friday
When calling the IRS do NOT choose the first option re: "Refund", or it will send you to an automated phone line.
So after first choosing your language, then do NOT choose Option 1 (refund info). Choose option 2 for "personal income tax" instead.
Then press 1 for "form, tax history, or payment".
Then press 3 "for all other questions."
Then press 2 "for all other questions."
- When it asks you to enter your SSN or EIN to access your account information, don't enter anything.
- After it asks twice, you will get another menu.

Press 2 for personal or individual tax questions.
Then press 4 for all other inquiries
It should then transfer you to an agent.

@Lsmith1170 

If you are not getting a refund then you can check your account status and/or see if the return transcript has been updated yet.   This year, due to the covid shutdown & the stimulus checks the IRS is WAYYYY behind in processing returns and they are focused on returns with refunds and the balance due returns have been pushed to the back of the bus ... it may take months to get them processed and posted so patience will be needed. 

https://www.irs.gov/payments/view-your-tax-account

Any update on this?? I filed 1/27/2020, turbotax says accepted by IRS on 1/28/2020 and the IRS still has zero record of my return.  Of course I can't get anyone on the phone at either company so I'm totally panicking.

Same here. I filed on July 15th, accepted on July 15th. IRS shows no record of my payment and shows me as a 2019 non-filer. I have the confirmation of payment from pay1040 as well as the acceptance of my 2019 return from the IRS. I got the first stimulus no problem, but the 2nd one shows they have no info because I haven't filed a 2019 return...even though I have. Also cannot get anyone at the IRS on the phone. What a cluster.

@JmxTwiztid wrote:

Same here. I filed on July 15th, accepted on July 15th. IRS shows no record of my payment and shows me as a 2019 non-filer. I have the confirmation of payment from pay1040 as well as the acceptance of my 2019 return from the IRS. I got the first stimulus no problem, but the 2nd one shows they have no info because I haven't filed a 2019 return...even though I have. Also cannot get anyone at the IRS on the phone. What a cluster.

Call the IRS: 1-800-829-1040 hours 7 AM - 7 PM local time Monday-Friday
When calling the IRS do NOT choose the first option re: "Refund", or it will send you to an automated phone line.
So after first choosing your language, then do NOT choose Option 1 (refund info). Choose option 2 for "personal income tax" instead.
Then press 1 for "form, tax history, or payment".
Then press 3 "for all other questions."
Then press 2 "for all other questions."
- When it asks you to enter your SSN or EIN to access your account information, don't enter anything.
- After it asks twice, you will get another menu.

Press 2 for personal or individual tax questions.
Then press 4 for all other inquiries
It should then transfer you to an agent.
Or you can contact your local IRS office. See this IRS website for local IRS offices - http://www.irs.gov/uac/Contact-Your-Local-IRS-Office-1 or call 1-844-545-5640 to set up an appointment
Or you may want to contact a Taxpayer Advocate in your area. See this IRS website for Taxpayer Advocate in your area and a toll free number - http://www.irs.gov/Advocate/Local-Taxpayer-Advocate

im 100% in the same boat as u. it is reassuring to know im not alone. ive been on phone for 6 hours and counting for 2019 returns that were accepted in april . smh

same here. I dont have any solutions but ive been on the phone all day also. I thought for the longest time that maybe they were just delayed. and now i'm a non-filer? but I have all the proof of filing and being accepted on time. I also didnt get second stim check. makes no sense its so frustrating 

• same. I filed my 2019 taxes 4/10/20, it was accepted 4/10/20. I recently checked my transcripts and it shows me as a non-filer for last year. I recieved the first stimulus no problem. but for the second stimulus its saying "status not available". I have spent the last 3 days trying to get someone on the phone with no luck. I followed all the advised steps someone provided earlier in this thread only for it to say there was no one available to talk to and it hung up. 
FAAM
Returning Member

Same here. I filed my 2019 taxes on 6/4/20 and was accepted on same day but when I checked on IRS website it said that it had not been received.  I received the first stimulus but for the second one its saying they don't have enough information yet (we're working on this), or I’m not eligible for a payment. It’s so frustrating

fried727

I'm in the same boat as just about everyone else in this thread: E-filed through TurboTax in March 2020, TurboTax indicated it was accepted by the IRS a day later. Since then I've gotten almost nothing; I did happen to receive a letter from the IRS in August asking for the first two pages of my return. I mailed the requested info back a day later.

After that there has been nothing, and like you all I am trying daily to get someone on the phone. Also created an IRS online account and there is no record of my 2019 return, only shows 2018. 

I guess it's nice to know I'm not the only person experiencing this.

@charleslinquist   Did you get things sorted out???? I am in the same position, on hold with irs now. 

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies