Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

IRS has no record of my filing

Did they happen to mention when they predicted she would get her return? Same thing is happening to me, the site says it has no record of my return being filed at all but I'm still holding on to hope that maybe I'll still get my refund friday.

Line 20 of my 1040 is blank but line 35 indicates I'm to receive a refund amount. How is this?

@rjg9102000 

What tax year are you looking at?   If you are trying to look at a 2020 Form 1040, your refund is on line 34.   If you owe, the amount owed is on line 37

PREVIEW 1040

https://ttlc.intuit.com/questions/1901539-how-do-i-preview-my-turbotax-online-return-before-filing

Click on Tax Tools on the left side of the screen. Click on Tools. Click on View Tax Summary. Click on Preview my 1040 on the left side of the screen.

**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**

Add my name to the long list having the same issue. TurboTax shows my 2019 return filed and received by the IRS on Apr 4, 2019.

I thought it odd that we didn't receive our second stimulus and receiving the first stimulus check, which was almost the same amount as our 2019 refund, had us thinking we had received our refund but in checking our records, we never did. Now looking at the transcripts I see 2019 shows, as of March 10, 2020: "we have no record of a processed tax return". I should be able to charge them interest as they would me, if we owed them all this time.

It was submitted and accepted almost a year ago - is it just not processed? Do I submit it by paper again? And then the 2020 right after?  Or do I wait (probably forever) for 2019 to show as received first? So frustrating.

@dylanglockler 

There have been a lot of delays for 2019  federal refunds.  Did you mail your return or e-file?

If you mailed it:

MAILED RETURNS

If  you mail a tax return (or a payment) to the IRS, it is a good idea to use a mailing service that will track it like UPS or certified mail so you will know it was received.

When you mail a tax return, you need to attach any documents showing tax withheld, such as your W-2’s or any 1099’s. 

TurboTax will not know anything about your mailed return, and will continue to show “Ready to Mail” on your account.  TurboTax will not know that you put your tax return in an envelope and took it to a mailbox.  TurboTax does not get updates on mailed  (or e-filed) returns.

The IRS refund site is only showing information about 2020 refunds now so it will not show anything about your 2019 refund.

Or......

Did you e-file?  Did you click a big orange button that said “Transmit my returns now?”

When you e-file your federal return you will receive two emails from TurboTax.  The first one will say that your return was submitted.  The second email will tell you if your federal return was accepted or rejected.  If you e-filed a state return, there will be a third email to tell you if the state accepted or rejected your state return.

Does your TT account say that your return was accepted?  Or does it say something else—like “rejected”, “printed” or “ready to mail?”  If it does not say accepted then it was not filed unless you put it in an envelope yourself and mailed it.

TurboTax does not mail your tax return for you.

If your e-file was accepted:

The IRS refund site only displays information about 2020 refunds now, so you will not see any information there about your 2019 refund.

If you chose to have your fees deducted from your federal refund:

Santa Barbara Tax Products Group, LLC  (SBTPG) is the bank that handles the Refund Processing Service when you choose to have your TurboTax fees deducted from your refund. This option also has an additional charge from the bank that processes the transaction. 

You can contact them SBTPG, toll-free, at 1-877-908-7228 or go to their secure website www.sbtpg.com 

https://ttlc.intuit.com/questions/2580357-who-provides-the-refund-processing-service

To call the IRS:IRS:  800-829-1040  hours 7 AM - 7 PM local time Mon-Fri

Listen to each menu before making the selection.

First choose your language. Press 1 for English.

Then do NOT choose the first choice re: "Refund", or it will send you to an automated phone line.

Instead, press 2 for "personal income tax".

Then press 1 for "form, tax history, or payment".  

Then press 3 "for all other questions."

Then press 2 "for all other questions."  It should then transfer you to an agent.

TAX ADVOCATE

At the following IRS website, find the USA map and click on your state, and it will give you the number of your area's IRS Taxpayer Advocate.

http://www.irs.gov/uac/Contact-a-Local-Taxpayer-Advocate

Also see this article for more info on how the Taxpayer Advocate Service works::
http://www.irs.gov/taxtopics/tc104.html

As for getting the stimulus checks---use the recovery rebate credit on your 2020 return for that:

The stimulus check is an advance on a credit you can receive on your 2020 tax return.  If something went wrong or you did not get the stimulus check in 2020, you can get it when you file your 2020 return in early 2021

The Recovery Rebate Credit will be found in the FEDERAL REVIEW section. ( you should see "Let's make sure you got the right stimulus amount”)  If you are eligible it will end up on line 30 of your 2020 Form 1040.

Make sure that you enter ALL of the stimulus money received for the 1st and 2nd stimulus for yourself, your spouse and your children.

https://www.irs.gov/newsroom/economic-impact-payment-information-center-topic-j-reconciling-on-your-...

https://ttlc.intuit.com/questions/1901539-how-do-i-preview-my-turbotax-online-return-before-filing

Click on Tax Tools on the left side of the screen. Click on Tools. Click on View Tax Summary. Click on Preview my 1040 on the left side of the screen.

**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**

@dylanglockler wrote:

Add my name to the long list having the same issue. TurboTax shows my 2019 return filed and received by the IRS on Apr 4, 2019.

I thought it odd that we didn't receive our second stimulus and receiving the first stimulus check, which was almost the same amount as our 2019 refund, had us thinking we had received our refund but in checking our records, we never did. Now looking at the transcripts I see 2019 shows, as of March 10, 2020: "we have no record of a processed tax return". I should be able to charge them interest as they would me, if we owed them all this time.

It was submitted and accepted almost a year ago - is it just not processed? Do I submit it by paper again? And then the 2020 right after?  Or do I wait (probably forever) for 2019 to show as received first? So frustrating.

The IRS does pay interest on federal tax refunds.  See this IRS website - https://www.irs.gov/businesses/small-businesses-self-employed/interest-for-individuals

The IRS has stated you should not file another 2019 tax return.

For the status of the 2019 federal tax refund you will need to contact the IRS and speak with an agent.

Call the IRS: 1-800-829-1040 hours 7 AM - 7 PM local time Monday-Friday
When calling the IRS do NOT choose the first option re: "Refund", or it will send you to an automated phone line.
So after first choosing your language, then do NOT choose Option 1 (refund info). Choose option 2 for "personal income tax" instead.
Then press 1 for "form, tax history, or payment".
Then press 3 "for all other questions."
Then press 2 "for all other questions."
- When it asks you to enter your SSN or EIN to access your account information, don't enter anything.
- After it asks twice, you will get another menu.

Press 2 for personal or individual tax questions.
Then press 4 for all other inquiries
It should then transfer you to an agent.
Or you can contact your local IRS office. See this IRS website for local IRS offices - http://www.irs.gov/uac/Contact-Your-Local-IRS-Office-1 or call 1-844-545-5640 to set up an appointment
Or you may want to contact a Taxpayer Advocate in your area. See this IRS website for Taxpayer Advocate in your area and a toll free number - http://www.irs.gov/Advocate/Local-Taxpayer-Advocate

Thanks for the quick reply. I e-filed and received an email from TurboTax saying the IRS changed the status to 'accepted' and this shows on TurboTax now for 2019:

Federal Return

Received by TurboTax:
Saturday, Apr 4, 10:39 AM EDT
Received by IRS:
Saturday, Apr 4, 10:39 AM EDT
Filing status changed to: Accepted
Saturday, Apr 4, 10:47 AM EDT

But when I pull up my transcript on the IRS website there's an asterisk next to 2019 and the letter says "no record of a processed tax return" for 2019.
CarissaM
Intuit Alumni

The transcript is only going to show a return once the IRS processes the return into the system. 

Most taxpayers will receive the refund within 21 days after acceptance. 

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

I spoke with TurboTax and they said that if it shows as 'accepted' that my best option is to just file my 2020 by paper and then just wait. So that's two years of refunds out in the ether, with no information. I tried calling the IRS number you suggested but 'due to extremely high call volumes, your call could not be completed at this time'.

Tried to make an appointment for a local advocate but due to high volumes, they cannot assist with unprocessed cases.  I can understand that - but it's been almost a year since it was submitted so I have serious concerns about it's receipt, even though TT shows it was accepted on 4/4/20 - I have the email confirmation as well.

@dylanglockler wrote:

I spoke with TurboTax and they said that if it shows as 'accepted' that my best option is to just file my 2020 by paper and then just wait. So that's two years of refunds out in the ether, with no information. I tried calling the IRS number you suggested but 'due to extremely high call volumes, your call could not be completed at this time'.

Tried to make an appointment for a local advocate but due to high volumes, they cannot assist with unprocessed cases.  I can understand that - but it's been almost a year since it was submitted so I have serious concerns about it's receipt, even though TT shows it was accepted on 4/4/20 - I have the email confirmation as well.

I do not see why you would need to file a paper 2020 tax return.  You should be able to enter a 0 (zero) for the 2019 AGI and e-file the 2020 federal tax return.

21 days... it's over 330 days since it was updated as 'accepted' on TT by the IRS.

And there doesn't seem to be any way to reach anyone...

I tried entering 0 - no luck there. I also went to the IRS website to check refund status results and I get this. I've checked and confirmed my filing date with TT - again, they said just submit the paper version for 2020 and continue to wait. If it's been over 300 days since I filed (normally takes 21)...then obviously something must be wrong?

We cannot provide any information about your refund. Be sure to:

• verify your filing date;
  • check with your tax preparer or tax software provider; or
  • verify you received your electronically filed acknowledgement e-mail.

If you filed a complete and accurate tax return, your refund should be issued within 21 days of the received date. However, processing may take longer under certain circumstances.

@dylanglockler wrote:

I tried entering 0 - no luck there. I also went to the IRS website to check refund status results and I get this. I've checked and confirmed my filing date with TT - again, they said just submit the paper version for 2020 and continue to wait. If it's been over 300 days since I filed (normally takes 21)...then obviously something must be wrong?

We cannot provide any information about your refund. Be sure to:

• verify your filing date;
  • check with your tax preparer or tax software provider; or
  • verify you received your electronically filed acknowledgement e-mail.

If you filed a complete and accurate tax return, your refund should be issued within 21 days of the received date. However, processing may take longer under certain circumstances.

If the IRS is rejecting the 0 2019 AGI then your only option is to print and mail the 2020 tax return.  I would highly recommend you mail the tax return using a tracking service from the US Post Office so that you will know it was received by the IRS.

elle914
Returning Member

I am having the same problem!  Just tried to e-file today and it keeps getting rejected.  I've tried the 0 agi and that didn't work either.  We paid in last year and they had no problem taking my money but don't have my 2019 taxes on file?  We got the first stimulus but not the 2nd and are expected to get a refund this year if that helps.  

What do I do?  Mail them in this year?  

I just found out our paper return too is not on file.  How did you make out? 

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies