turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Can I print form 1099misc off the IRS website to give to my employees?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

16 Replies
GeoffreyG

You can certainly use the Adobe (.pdf) blank 1099-MISC form available from the IRS.gov website to print Form 1099-MISC and give copies B & C to your independent contractors, as well as others to whom you need to legally issue 1099s, such as attorneys, etc.

https://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/f1099msc.pdf

However, Form 1099-MISC Copy A, which should be kept by you and then filed along with Form 1096 (summary sheet) to the IRS, is printed with special red ink, meant to be read by optical character recognition equipment.  That red ink won't be able to be printed (duplicated) on your typical office printer (see Copy A of form in the link above for an illustration).

That said, you can obtain compliant Form 1099-MISC blank pages (complete with the special red ink) from most any local office supply store for very little money.  All of the national chains (Office Depot, Staples, etc.) also carry this standard product, with a multi-document packet typically costing between $5 and $10.  You may want to telephone ahead or check their website to verify current inventory, as the product is very popular at this time of year, as you may well imagine.

As a final point, we do need to be especially careful about what we call our employees (W-2) vs. independent contractors (Form 1099-MISC).  The IRS is particularly watchful about this topic because of the related Social Security and Medicare tax issue.  We don't want to confuse the two categories, because doing so can lead to substantial tax and / or legal penalties; and we certainly wouldn't want that to happen.

Hopefully this answer has been useful to you, and thank you for asking this important question.

loud

I use QBO and need to correct a TIN.  Where do I get a blank 1099 template to fill in the correction and print on the approved paper forms?
alex8

To add to the above answer about Copy A's, it is important to obtain the 1099-MISC and 1096 forms from the IRS. They can be ordered for free. For our partnership we have more than a dozen 1099's to send out, so we've found using a print template helpful. There's a few out there but a basic MS Word template such as this one

https://lucregate.com/irs-1099-misc-form-print-template/ 

can go a long ways in preparing these forms without having legibility issues or consuming an enormous amount of time. 

But the forms from the IRS are not suitable for running through an inkjet or laser printer. They're pressure-duplicates intended for handwriting or impact printers such as typewriters. And separating out the duplicates isn't a satisfactory solution either, as the paper is too thin to feed reliably.

WTS
Returning Member

Sounds like an invitation to an audit.

How is printing the IRS form 1099 a legal solution when printing it means my contractors wont be able to use the copy I send them because the IRS can scan it?

Or am I misunderstanding what you wrote?

CassLO
Intuit Alumni

@WTS Yes you can but you must also send a copy to the IRS on a "Pink" scannable form or submit them electronically. Please see the 1099 information listed on the IRS site: Forms and Associated Taxes for Independent Contractors

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
WTS
Returning Member

Ok, I think I understand. 

I only have one recipient so I don't need to file copy A at all and my contractor can file copy B ?

KathrynG3
Expert Alumni

No and Yes. No, you still should file Copy A along with Form 1096. It was due January 31, 2020. The sooner you file the better.

Yes, your contractor can file Copy B.

2019 Form 1099-MISC Instructions

Filing date when nonemployee compensation (NEC) payments are reported in box 7. Section 6071(c), requires you to file Form 1099-MISC on or before January 31, 2020, if you are reporting NEC payments in box 7, using either paper or electronic filing procedures. For all other reported payments, file Form 1099-MISC by February 28, 2020, if you file on paper, or March 31, 2020, if you file electronically.

am1falcon

I know I am very late on this, forgive me, but. I got the official forms from the IRS but I can't figure out how to actually print on them.  The paper is thin, so I'm concerned about running it through my printer, and also I don't understand how I'm supposed to fill it out. If I use the online template, it'll print over the color boxes. Are you supposed to use a typewriter??

AshleyLO
Intuit Alumni

@am1falcon Would you mind clarifying your question a bit please? Also, the following TurboTax FAQ may assist you with your question: How do I create W-2 and 1099 forms for my employees or contractors?

genahepworth
Returning Member

so what is the purpose of this program if I can not search a form complete it and send it in say as a psychotherapist I need to five a 1099-misc to a consultant I did supervision with over the year. 

I desire to not just see a help page but to order up the form and directions, complete it and attach it to the return.  I should not have to look up ever form to figure out what carryover form I need to finish my taxes on turbo tax.  You should be prompting and offering the check back over option so I am able to add to the prelaunch of a buisness.  

[email address removed]

JotikaT2
Employee Tax Expert

I apologize for your frustration.

TurboTax serves many purposes and the help/search buttons are there to assist you. 

If the program were to ask everything to everyone, it would take a lot longer for anyone to get their returns done as everyone's situation is unique.  Some are complex while others are not.

If you have a specific question, please comment so we can assist you.

Thank you!

Luv2ChitChat
Returning Member

On the IRS website 1099 form Misc- Isn't Copy C for the Payee? We would Give Copy B and Copy 2 to the Recipient ? Article says give Copy B and Copy C . Could you clarify Please? 

EbonyL122824
Intuit Alumni

@Luv2ChitChat Yes, Copy B and Copy 2 would go to the recipient.

https://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/f1099msc.pdf

Use your Intuit Account to sign in to TurboTax.
By selecting Sign in, you agree to our Terms and acknowledge our Privacy Statement.
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies