You can use TurboTax Self-Employed, TurboTax Self-Employed Live, TurboTax Home & Business for Windows, and TurboTax Business to create W-2 and 1099-MISC forms for your employees and contractors.
- After signing in to TurboTax, open or continue your return.
- Select Federal in the left menu.
- Select the Income & Expenses tab at the top of the screen.
- Select Show more next to Self-Employment and select Start next to Self-employment income and expenses.
- When asked Did you have any self-employment income or expenses? select Yes. Answer the questions to set up your self-employment work.
- You'll be asked Did you pay any employees in 2019? and Did you make these payments for your [type of work] work? On either screen select the link that says Help me prepare and file W-2s and 1099s.
- In the help panel, select the Quick Employer Forms link.
- This will open a new screen at the TurboTax Quick Employer Forms website. Select Continue.
- Select which forms you want to prepare and follow the instructions.
Follow these directions if you're OK with paper-filing your W-2 or 1099-MISC forms. If you want to e-file these forms, use Quick Employer Forms instead.
Note: TurboTax Home & Business for Mac doesn't support the filing of W-2 and 1099 forms.
- Launch TurboTax Home & Business.
- If you're already working on a tax return, you'll need to close it. Select New Tax Return from the File menu in the upper-left corner, then answer Yes to save the return you currently have open.
- Select Start a New Return.
- Select Prepare W-2s and 1099s for my employees or contractors.
- Select Choose Desktop and follow the instructions.
- Launch TurboTax Business.
- If you're already working on a tax return, you'll need to close it first. Select New Tax Return from the File menu in the upper-left corner, then answer Yes to save the return you currently have open.
- Click Prepare W-2/1099 near the bottom of the opening screen.
- On the following screen, select how you want to prepare your forms (online or on your computer) and follow the onscreen instructions.