How do I create W-2 and 1099 forms for my employee...

EnglishEN

Pick a language

English Français
Intuit

How do I create W-2 and 1099 forms for my employees or contractors?

You can use TurboTax Self-Employed, TurboTax Self-Employed Live, TurboTax Home & Business for Windows, and TurboTax Business to create W-2 and 1099-MISC forms for your employees and contractors.

1. After signing in to TurboTax, open or continue your return.
  2. Select Federal in the left menu.
  3. Select the Income & Expenses tab at the top of the screen.
  4. Select Show more next to Self-Employment and select Start next to Self-employment income and expenses.
  5. When asked Did you have any self-employment income or expenses? select Yes. Answer the questions to set up your self-employment work.
  6. You'll be asked Did you pay any employees in 2019? and Did you make these payments for your [type of work] work? On either screen select the link that says Help me prepare and file W-2s and 1099s.
  7. In the help panel, select the Quick Employer Forms link.
  8. This will open a new screen at the TurboTax Quick Employer Forms website. Select Continue.
  9. Select which forms you want to prepare and follow the instructions.

Follow these directions if you're OK with paper-filing your W-2 or 1099-MISC forms. If you want to e-file these forms, use Quick Employer Forms instead.

Note: TurboTax Home & Business for Mac doesn't support the filing of W-2 and 1099 forms.

1. Launch TurboTax Home & Business.
    • If you're already working on a tax return, you'll need to close it. Select New Tax Return from the File menu in the upper-left corner, then answer Yes to save the return you currently have open.
  2. Select Start a New Return.
  3. Select Prepare W-2s and 1099s for my employees or contractors.
  4. Select Choose Desktop and follow the instructions.

1. Launch TurboTax Business.
    • If you're already working on a tax return, you'll need to close it first. Select New Tax Return from the File menu in the upper-left corner, then answer Yes to save the return you currently have open.
  2. Click Prepare W-2/1099 near the bottom of the opening screen.
  3. On the following screen, select how you want to prepare your forms (online or on your computer) and follow the onscreen instructions.

Was this helpful?

You must sign in to vote, reply, or post