TurboTax Self-Employed, TurboTax Self-Employed Live, TurboTax Home & Business (Window version only), and TurboTax Business can create and print out W-2 and 1099-MISC forms for employees and contractors.
Other TurboTax versions (including Home & Business for Mac) don't have built-in W-2/1099 capability, but you can create an account at TurboTax Quick Employer Forms and use that to electronically file your W-2 and 1099s.
- Select Federal in the left menu.
- Select the Wages & Income tab at the top of the screen.
- Select Show more next to Self-Employment and select Start next to Income and Expenses.
- When asked Did you have any self-employment income or expenses? select Yes. Answer the questions to set up your self-employment work.
- If you've already set up your self-employment work
- You'll be asked Did you pay any employees in 2018? and Did you make these payments for your (type of work) work? On either screen select the link that says Help me prepare and file W-2s and 1099s.
- In the help panel, select the Quick Employer Forms link.
- This will open a new screen at the TurboTax Quick Employer Forms website. Select Continue.
- Select which forms you want to prepare and follow the instructions.
Follow these directions if you want to generate W-2 or 1099-MISC forms to be paper-filed. (If you want to e-file your W-2s or 1099-MISCs and/or you need to file forms 1099-DIV or 1099-INT, use Quick Employer Forms instead.)
- Launch TurboTax Home & Business.
- If you're already working on a tax return, you'll need to close it. Select New Tax Return from the File menu in the upper-left corner, then answer Yes to save the return you currently have open.
- Select the Prepare W-2/1099.
- On the next screen, click Choose Desktop and follow the instructions.