Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

kc7hxc

Letter from the IRS

I have been using Turbo Tax for over 20 years now and have never had any problems.  That is until now.

My question is why would the IRS send me a letter (OMB Clearance No. 154-0074) stating that they need all the forms that I used to support the entry I have on Line 16 of my 1040 form.

I filled out all data as stated in Turbo Tax and then Turbo Tax checked it and stated that all was ok.

They have all the data I have so why would they ask for what I have? 1099-r’s and SSA-1099’s. It’s the same as there’s.

They also as for my W-2 which I don’t have for I am retired.

Thanks

[PII]

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
JulieR
Expert Alumni

Letter from the IRS

I understand your concern.  You have done nothing wrong. There are some instances where the IRS does not receive copies of all your income forms as they should have, from the issuer.  In that case, they can't really tell what forms are missing in order to verify your tax withheld.  They just need to see your copies to tell what they're missing.  It usually can take up to a year for them to be able to match the income you report to the various sources of that income so it's much faster and easier for you to just send them a copy of anything that showed tax withheld.

View solution in original post

9 Replies
JulieR
Expert Alumni

Letter from the IRS

I understand your concern.  You have done nothing wrong. There are some instances where the IRS does not receive copies of all your income forms as they should have, from the issuer.  In that case, they can't really tell what forms are missing in order to verify your tax withheld.  They just need to see your copies to tell what they're missing.  It usually can take up to a year for them to be able to match the income you report to the various sources of that income so it's much faster and easier for you to just send them a copy of anything that showed tax withheld.

dmertz
Level 15

Letter from the IRS

If this was for a tax year prior to 2018, which is likely at this point, the IRS is likely questioning why you reported a taxable amount less than the full amount of a pension distribution.  This is usually the result of using the Simplified Method to calculate a taxable amount less than the full amount, particularly if box 2b Taxable amount of the Form 1099-R reporting the distributions is marked.  It's not uncommon for people to use the Simplified Method when it is inappropriate to do so, or even if its appropriate (box 2b Taxable amount not determined on the Form 1099-R is marked), to enter incorrect values needed to calculate the taxable amount.

luis eguia
Returning Member

Letter from the IRS

I received a letter from IRS after I file my taxes from 2019 saying about a fraud in the social security what should I respond .

Letter from the IRS

I need a phone number to talk to a person. Received a letter from the IRS regarding changes that were made to my refund 

[removed]

Letter from the IRS

@Judizimmer Please remove the attached IRS CP12 as it includes all your personal information.  This is a Public forum where anyone can view your information.  Click on the three dots in the upper right of your message and edit the message.

You will have to contact the IRS if you disagree with the IRS letter within 60 days of the notice.

See this IRS website for a CP12 notice - https://www.irs.gov/individuals/understanding-your-cp12-notice

If you did not purchase Audit Defense for the 2020 tax return, then use the TurboTax Audit Support Center for assistance with understanding the CP12 notice and guidance on what your next steps should be - https://support.turbotax.intuit.com/irs-notice/audit-support/

ai16Mai

Letter from the IRS

Why is the IRS sending me a letter dated 9/16/2021, stating wrong information was listed on my 2020 Tax Return:  i.e., wrong SS#, incorrect Gross Income (does not exceed $150,000 for my spouse and me), last name of qualifying dependent is missing, dependent exceeds age limit.  None of that is accurate.  The only thing that was accurate is the fact that I missed filling in the Recovery Rebate Credit that Turbo Tax did eventually correct because I filed ASAP.  The other items listed as inaccurate is wrong.  How can I correct this information from the IRS?  Not impressed right now with Turbo Tax because they sent in the tax form with a missing tax item for the RRC and then they quickly corrected it.  The incorrect form should not have been sent in at all.  Isn't Turbo Tax supposed to catch missing and/or incorrect information?

Letter from the IRS

That is just the list of generic reasons they give if they changed the Recovery rebate credit on line 30.  How much is on 1040 line 30?  If the filed return had the wrong amount on line 30 the IRS will correct it and reduce your refund or send you a bill.  You do not need to amend.

Sounds like you didn't enter the right amount of Stimulus payments you already got.   Or you got the second one after you filed.   The IRS adjusted your return for it.  They know how much they sent you.  

Letter from the IRS

@ai16Mai The IRS is cross checking every tax return that has an amount on line 30 for the recovery rebate credit.   Lots of people have made mistakes on their tax returns with that credit.   There is a letter sent out to some of them with a list of possible reasons for the credit to be either dis-allowed or adjusted.   If you already received the 1st and/or 2nd EIP payment(s) but have the credit on your line 30, then the IRS will recalculate your refund.

TurboTax has no way to know whether you received the EIP payments.   It was up to you to answer the questions in the Federal Review section correctly and enter whether you received those payments or not.

If you did not receive the payments but the IRS thinks you did, then you can ask for a trace.  Check your account on the IRS site.

https://www.irs.gov/payments/view-your-tax-account

If you were issued a payment and have not received it, see How do I request a payment trace to track my first or second Economic Impact Payments? 

**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**

Letter from the IRS

And no, Turbo Tax wouldn't know if you missed entering something or entered the wrong amount.  

Turbo Tax is a self prepared return.  It has no way of knowing or checking that you entered something wrong or in the wrong place or entered something twice  Or left something out.  It doesn't check against any outside sources.  The IRS has copies of all the W2s and 1099s your employer and banks/brokers, etc. sent in to match against.  Turbo Tax only checks the calculations of what you entered.   It is your responsibility to check it over before you file.  They only Guarantee that the calculations are right based on the entries you made.

https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/charges-and-fees/help/what-is-the-turbotax-100-accurate-calculatio...

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies