Solved: I recieved a letter from the IRS that says I owe them money but Turbo shows I to get a refund. I would like to speak with someone to explain this to me.

I recieved a letter from the IRS that says I owe them money but Turbo shows I to get a refund. I would like to speak with someone to explain this to me.

Read the notice carefully and review your actual return ... did you make the payments listed ?  Did you forget to list a payment ? 

We changed your return because we found a difference between the amount of estimated tax payments on your tax return and the amount we posted to your account. You have a balance due because of these changes. The notice may also cover other changes we made while processing your return.   https://www.irs.gov/individuals/understanding-your-cp23-notice

Only the IRS can tell you what they changed on your return.  What does the letter say?  What is the CP or LT # at the top?

I would check over your return and see if you can see anything wrong especially in the payments section 1040 Schedule 5.  Make sure you agree with all the amounts listed.   Like is the difference the same or close to the refund you got last year?  Maybe you put down that you applied last year's refund to this year?  Or you put down you made a payment with an extension or paid an estimated payment that you didn't make?

A common error is showing an estimated payment 1040 schedule 5 line 66 you didn't make or payment with an extension (line 71) you didn't send in.  Sometimes people start an extension form on purpose or accidentally and an amount gets entered for a tax due to send in with the extension.

Or you claimed Excess Social Security paid on line 72.  That happens when you are married and enter both spouse's W2s under the same name.

No one in the user forum can see your screen or your tax return, so we need a more specific question or description of your problem in order to help you.  Or you can wait for Monday and contact the Live help you are posting from.
You can arrange for the Live help you are paying the extra fee for with your questions from  5 a.m. to 5 p.m. Pacific time Monday - Friday.
<a rel="nofollow" target="_blank" href="https://ttlc.intuit.com/questions/4124827-how-do-i-connect-with-a-tax-expert-in-turbotax-live">https...>

Thank you both, it is a CP23 letter. I dont remember the exact amount I was refunded for 2017, I believe $2000 give or take, would need to pull my documents.
2018 taxes show a refund of $3459 but this letter says I actually owe a little less that $300 to the IRS, huge difference. This is the first time I have prepared my own taxes. Hoping I didnt enter figures wrong.
I filed for an extension the day before the deadline because I didnt want to get penalized. It asked me the amount a paid in to the IRS (listed on my W2) and I believe an estimated amount if I owed them more? I enter 0.

Did you file an extension with a payment with the extension ?  If you did not check the return ... did it list one you did not make ?

I think I found the problem. I dont know how this was overlooked...
When I filed the extension I entered that I paid $3,733 to the IRS already, per my W2.
When I started the process of filing a few days later through turbo tax, it did not advise me to not to enter my federal income tax withheld amount. Turbo Tax had already entered this for me when I filed the extension.
My 1040 shows my total payments to the IRS were $7,466 (double the amount I actually paid in) which is not correct.
Do I need to do an amendment ^^^
I also filed a 1099 for 2018. Before I got the letter in the mail from the IRS I realized that I did not enter all my expenses. Everything I was reading advised not do an amendment until my return was approved or rejected.
Sorry! I have lots of questions.

^^^^^ should I file an amendment?

Well you did find the error ... that is good.  Since the IRS also found the error and sent you a bill NOW is the correct time to amend the return to reduce the balance due if possible.

I can do that through turbo tax right? Should I call them and tell them the situation?

Or am I okay to pay the amount and add the expenses to my 2019 taxes when I file next year? I just want this to be as simple as possible.

You must amend the 2018 return if you missed expenses ... you cannot wait and put 2018 deductions on the 2019 return.

<a rel="nofollow" target="_blank" href="https://ttlc.intuit.com/replies/7276605">https://ttlc.intuit.com/replies/7276605</a>

Please edit your post and remove all that Personal Info!  This is a public user forum and it is not safe. You will get scammed, spammed and have your identity stolen!  Anyone could contact you and say they are from Turbo Tax and get your info.

Your only proof of a tax due payment is your bank account showing it coming out. Sounds like your bank account number was wrong and the IRS couldn't take the payment out.  You need to pay it yourself.

You can pay the IRS directly at

https://www.irs.gov/payments

Or here is a 1040V voucher slip

https://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/f1040v.pdf

Thank you so much Volvo girl