Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

I need to amend my return but it's not letting me. It's saying... "Your return isn't ready to be amended Yet?"

I was able to amend mine and my husbands taxes and removed my son as a dependent. It was accepted by the IRS but now my son's is getting rejected still. (Reject Code IND-516-02 What needs to be done: This return was rejected by the IRs, because the taxpayer's SSN has already been entered as a dependent on another return. The taxpayer's SSN cannot be used on two separate tax returns with out indicating they have been claimed as a dependent. Verify that the taxpayer's SSN has been entered correctly. If the Taxpayer's information is correct and you want to file electronically, you must indicate the taxpayer has been claimed as a dependent on another return. If the taxpayer on this return has not been claimed on another return as a dependent, you must print and file by mail.)

I'm thinking we'll need to mail his (My Son's) tax return since he's still showing as being claimed as a dependent! 

I need to amend my return but it's not letting me. It's saying... "Your return isn't ready to be amended Yet?"

when can i amend

@hhead of household not single wrote:

when can i amend

You will have to wait for the IRS to either Accept or Reject your filed federal tax return.
If the return is rejected you can make the necessary changes and e-file again.
If the return is accepted you will have to amend your original tax return. An amended return, Form 1040-X, can only be printed and mailed to the IRS if the original tax return was not e-filed. The IRS will take up to 16 weeks or longer to process an amended tax return.

Before starting to amend the tax return, wait for the tax refund to be received or the taxes due to be paid and processed by the IRS.

See this TurboTax support FAQ on amending a tax return originally completed and filed using the 2020 TurboTax editions - https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/amending/help/how-do-i-amend-my-return/01/27439

When can I amend my tax return 2021

CarissaM
Intuit Alumni

You should be able to amend your 2021 return in a few days. @adelinava

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

Thank you 

JeryVV

How do I amend a state return before submitting?

AkinaLO
Intuit Alumni

Was the return already e-filed or mailed and accepted? 

@JeryVV

siirs

My tax return rejected by IRS, because someone else has already filed for me with incomplete information about me. Unable to withdraw it and can be amended with IRS form 1040-X. "R0000-194 - Submission must not be a duplicate of a previously accepted submission."

CarissaM
Intuit Alumni

Please follow the instructions here to speak with us by phone, as we do not want to disclose any private information on this public forum. @siirs

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies