rcastellon10

I mailed my taxes 2 months ago, no response status yet

I mailed my taxes 2 months ago after my e-file attempt was rejected. I have not received a response status yet. Track my refund information on IRS website has no data available. My wife changed her immigration status, therefore a new SSN was used this year and not a ITIN as previous years. I'm thinking that could be the reason why? 

There is no one available on the IRS phone line for assistance....

They are not processing mailed returns right now.  The mail is stacking up in trailers at the IRS.

See this IRS page for the latest information

https://www.irs.gov/newsroom/irs-operations-during-covid-19-mission-critical-functions-continue

rcastellon10

Thank you for the information. I wouldn't know how to proceed, my e-file is getting rejected and I don't know why. I enter the correct AGI to verify but no luck..

rcastellon10

Do you know how I can get my  five-digit number from last year?

If you already mailed your return then you are done.  Do not efile it.  You can only file one return.  You have to wait on the IRS.

Jmaxwell90

Hi, I am having the same issue this year. How long did it take for you to get your return? 

rcastellon10

It ended up taking few more months, maybe like 4-5 months total. 

Jmontano

I am having the same issue . No data or anything . It’s also been about 2 months . They can process all these other payments but forget about the mailed in taxes. So frustrating 

@Jmontano wrote:

Mailed 2020 tax returns are taking months for the IRS to process.

The IRS is seriously behind in processing 2020 tax returns.  This is due to many factors, such as the pandemic, completing processing of millions of 2019 tax returns, stimulus payments, unemployment compensation exclusion tax refunds., changes in the tax code by Congress in the middle of the 2020 tax season and the like.

Millions of taxpayers have not yet received there federal tax refunds.

Go to this IRS website for operational status - https://www.irs.gov/newsroom/irs-operations-during-covid-19-mission-critical-functions-continue

As of July 24, 2021, we had 14.7 million unprocessed individual returns. Unprocessed individual returns include tax year 2020 returns such as those requiring correction to the Recovery Rebate Credit amount or validation of 2019 income used to figure the Earned Income Tax Credit (EITC) and Additional Child Tax Credit (ACTC). This work does not require us to correspond with taxpayers but does require special handling by an IRS employee so, in these instances, it is taking the IRS more than 21 days to issue any related refund and in some cases this work could take 90 to 120 days. If, as a result, a correction is made to any RRC, EITC or ACTC claimed on the return, the IRS will send taxpayers an explanation. Taxpayers are encouraged to continue to check Where’s My Refund? for their personalized refund status and can review Tax Season Refund Frequently Asked Questions.

What you should do: In most instances, no further action is needed but you may check Where’s my refund or you can view your account. If you filed electronically and received an acknowledgement, you do not need to take any further action other than promptly responding to any requests for information. If you filed on paper, check Where’s my refund? If it tells you we have received your return or are processing or reviewing it, we are processing your return, but it may be under review. We’re working hard to get through the backlog. Please don’t file a second tax return or contact the IRS about the status of your return.