Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

I mailed my amended return almost 5 weeks ago. When I track the form it says, "Your amended return information is currently unavailable in this application...."

@PlayLoud 

Nothing is ever going to show on your TurboTax account about the IRS receiving your amended return.  TurboTax has no way to know that you took an Form 1040X to a mailbox.  The IRS never shares information with TurboTax after you e-file or mail a tax return.

The IRS is currently digging through over 11 million pieces of mail that piled up in trailers during the pandemic.  Your amended return is in that pile somewhere.  When they shovel it out, it will go into the system and show up on the the amended return site.   Sorry, but all you can do is wait.

**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**

I mailed my amended return almost 5 weeks ago. When I track the form it says, "Your amended return information is currently unavailable in this application...."

@PlayLoud wrote:

I'm in a similar situation, in that USPS tracking shows the IRS received my amended return on July 8th (it is now August 25th).

The site says "Your amended return information is currently unavailable in this application. It takes up to 3 weeks for an amended return to show on your account. You can generally expect your amended return to be processed within 16 weeks from the date we receive it. Check the date you filed your amended return and try again later."

Tomorrow marks 7 weeks since they received my amended return. I realize there is an extra delay due to COVID. I don't care if the actually processing take 4 months, or even 6 months. It's not critical that it gets processed super fast. I'm really just looking for it to show on my account (the part that normally takes up to 3 weeks). This is just me wanting confirmation that the appropriate people have received it.

Paper filed tax returns have been sitting in trailers for months due to the pandemic and limited staffing at the IRS.  Approximately 11 million paper returns are currently being processed on an as received basis.

When the IRS starts processing your amended tax return the status will show on the IRS amended return website - https://www.irs.gov/filing/wheres-my-amended-return

Go to this IRS website for information - https://www.irs.gov/newsroom/irs-operations-during-covid-19-mission-critical-functions-continue

We’re experiencing delays in processing paper tax returns due to limited staffing. If you already filed a paper return, we will process it in the order we received it.

Do not file a second tax return or contact the IRS about the status of your return.

@xmasbaby0

Oh, I wasn't expecting anything in TurboTax. I was referring to the IRS website.

In a normal year the amended returns take 3-4 months to process ... this year expect the processing time to take 6 months or more ... once your return has been entered into the system you can track it here ... check once a week :      https://www.irs.gov/filing/wheres-my-amended-return

@PlayLoud As already explained, until your envelope makes it to the top of the pile and someone opens it, you cannot expect to see anything at all about it on the IRS site.  Imagine a needle in a haystack.  That is your Form 1040X.

**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**

My amended return was received by the IRS on April 23, 2020, per USPS receipt. However, it is still not showing up in "where's my refund on IRS website." What would happen if I electronically file my amended tax now? Of course, my goal is to get it completed ASAP but how much trouble will I get into?

The IRS would prefer for you to NOT efile a return after mailing it ... doing so would put 2 returns into the system at the same time  and can further delay the processing even longer ...  so do NOT efile if you have already mailed in the return.   If you mailed in the amended return prior to the original return being fully  processed that will delay things also.  

In normal times amended returns can take 4 months or more to process however with the covid shutdown add another 3 - 4 months to the normal processing times.  All you can do is wait patiently and check the IRS site once a week until they open your envelope and process the return.  

Thank you to you mesquite bean for posting this very detailed info, including asking them if I should resend my amended return; it's the only way I was able to speak to someone LIVE.
It's been 12 weeks and the automated number still says "information not available on this account try again later." I had mailed my amended taxes July 13, 2020 and today is Oct 7, 2020.  I wasn't getting any money back, I actually owed a little less than $100.  So far my check has still not cleared either.

The wait is 15 min to 30 min, so I put on speakerphone and waited.

My actual wait time was 40 min.
  I spoke to a nice lady who confirmed they're back-logged and only reopened partially in August due to COVID.  She said they closed in July and reopened in August but only partially (due to cutbacks from COVID) and are still working on amended returns from even before July.  She said she would note my account that I mailed in my amended return July 13, 2020 and said to NOT resend it, just wait and agreed with me that when I see my check clear that would be a good indicator they are processing it.  As of right now my return has not even been opened nor logged in.  I asked if it could be December and she said yes that is possible, just be patient and wait.  She said if I wanted I could call back in a few weeks but I told her I would just wait to see when my check would clear and use that as an indicator that my return was received and is in process.
HOPE THIS HELPS SOMEONE OUT THERE WHO'S WORRIED.  I'D SAY JUST WAIT TIL DECEMBER AND LOOK FOR YOUR CHECK TO CLEAR.  If you're owed money, do the same.  Wait.  But if you do call use the instructions exactly as mesquite bean (above) has specified above, otherwise you'll end up back at the automated system.

I called the IRS today, they are only partially reopened since Aug and said it could take up til December for me (I mailed my amended return July 13, 2020 and I owed and my check has not even been cashed by IRS et).

Like I mentioned ... usually it takes 4 months but due to the shut down pile up add up to another 4 months ... so 6 months to process the amended return sounds correct.  

Anonymous
Not applicable

do not mail a duplicate. The IRS warns against this. a second copy could delay processing and could actually result in both checks being cashed.  

Robin1958

i mailed my amended1095-A on 08-10-2020 and when i look on line or call it says there is no available information , who do i call to speak to personally or is this normal

Twhitty3

I cannot get a live person to talk to about my amended return. And it also tells me same thing. Every IRS number I call has the same stupid recoding. 

If you are sure you have filed the return successfully  then you can check the IRS site but expect the 1040X to take 20 weeks or more to process and it may not show up on the IRS tool for several weeks ... patience will be needed.  https://www.irs.gov/filing/wheres-my-amended-return

Only the IRS controls when and if a tax refund is Approved and Sent.

Call the IRS:  1-800-829-1040  hours 7 AM - 7 PM local time Monday-Friday

When calling the IRS do NOT choose the first option re: "Refund", or it will send you to an automated phone line.  

So after first choosing your language, then do NOT choose Option 1 (refund info).  Choose option 2 for "personal income tax" instead.

Then press 1 for "form, tax history, or payment".   

Then press 3 "for all other questions."

Then press 2 "for all other questions."  

- When it asks you to enter your SSN or EIN to access your account information, don’t enter anything.  

- After it asks twice, you will get another menu.

Then press 2 for personal or individual tax questions.

Then press 4 for all other inquiries.

It should then transfer you to an agent.

Or you can contact your local IRS office.  See this IRS website for local IRS offices - http://www.irs.gov/uac/Contact-Your-Local-IRS-Office-1 or call 1-844-545-5640 to set up an appointment

Or you may want to contact a Taxpayer Advocate in your area.  See this IRS website for Taxpayer Advocate in your area and a toll free number - http://www.irs.gov/Advocate/Local-Taxpayer-Advocate

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies