Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

kjm0083

I filed an amended return and was due a larger refund. The state sent the adjusted payment but the IRS did not. What do I need to do to get this money?

x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

I filed an amended return and was due a larger refund. The state sent the adjusted payment but the IRS did not. What do I need to do to get this money?

Did you print and mail the amended return to the IRS? Amended returns have to be printed and mailed. They can't be e-filed per IRS regulation. It is recommended to wait until the IRS has accepted your initial return and you have received your federal refund before you amend the return. If you have done the amend steps and you need to get back in and print the return, the steps to do so can be found below. 

Amended returns can take up to 16 weeks to be processed once they receive it. And you can find a list of frequently asked questions, about amended returns, here Form 1040X, Amended U.S. individual Income Tax Return, Frequently Asked Questions  

Detailed Instructions for Printing in TurboTax Online:
  • Scroll down to Your Tax Returns and Documents and click Show More
  • Highlight the year of the return you amended
  • Click on Add a state (not adding one, just a way to get in and print)
  • Then click Tax Tools to the left and Print Center
  • Select Print save or preview this year’s return
  • Check the box next to returns you want and choose forms to print
  • Then click View or print the forms
  • Mail to the address specified in your return.
Detailed Instructions for Printing TurboTax CD/Download software:
  • Open your amended return.
  • Click on File and then Print.
Once you mail an amended return, it can take up to 3 weeks before it shows up in the IRS's system. So give it that amount of time before you start checking for any updates on it. After 3 weeks, you can go here Where’s My Amended Return? to check the status of it. 

View solution in original post

12 Replies

Did you print and mail the amended return to the IRS? Amended returns have to be printed and mailed. They can't be e-filed per IRS regulation. It is recommended to wait until the IRS has accepted your initial return and you have received your federal refund before you amend the return. If you have done the amend steps and you need to get back in and print the return, the steps to do so can be found below. 

Amended returns can take up to 16 weeks to be processed once they receive it. And you can find a list of frequently asked questions, about amended returns, here Form 1040X, Amended U.S. individual Income Tax Return, Frequently Asked Questions  

Detailed Instructions for Printing in TurboTax Online:
  • Scroll down to Your Tax Returns and Documents and click Show More
  • Highlight the year of the return you amended
  • Click on Add a state (not adding one, just a way to get in and print)
  • Then click Tax Tools to the left and Print Center
  • Select Print save or preview this year’s return
  • Check the box next to returns you want and choose forms to print
  • Then click View or print the forms
Detailed Instructions for Printing TurboTax CD/Download software:
  • Open your amended return.
  • Click on File and then Print.
Once you mail an amended return, it can take up to 3 weeks before it shows up in the IRS's system. So give it that amount of time before you start checking for any updates on it. After 3 weeks, you can go here Where’s My Amended Return? to check the status of it. 

Amended feturns take 2-3 months to process.

sbwelling

I have a question about this as well.  I am kind of in a similar situation.

1) I filed my normal tax return online with Turbo.  I was told I was going to receive X amount in my return (submitted in February)

2) In March I received a notice saying I needed to amend my return.  I did the paperwork and printed it out and sent it.  Turbo said I would be receiving even more due to the information I provided on the amended return.

3) I just received my refund today (August) and it was only the original amount "X" I was told I was going to receive prior to the amended return.  

My question is if that is all I'm going to receive or will I receive a separate additional payment for the information I provided on the amended return?  Is it common to receive a payment for your original refund and then receive a separate one for the amended filing?

Thanks.

WHO told  you to amend a return that had not been fully processed yet ???   What did you change on the amended return ??? 

sbwelling

I got a letter from the IRS saying I forgot to include the form about health insurance premiums and the tax credits associated with those.  So I submitted the forms they asked for. 

"2) In March I received a notice saying I needed to amend my return. "

What?!  A notice from who?  

**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**
sbwelling

IRS - I recognize scams pretty easily.  It definitely did not seem like that.  It was a letter in the mail.  Based on the reactions I'm getting to this question, it seems like that is not the normal way to be notified that an amendment is needed?

Ok ... hate to tell you this but the notice did NOT tell you to amend the return ... it tells you to complete the form 8962 & mail it and the 1095-A to the address provided.  So you now have an amended return that will take as long as 6 months to process IF they even allow it to process since they  have closed the original return and sent the refund.   Nothing you can do but wait until the IRS decides what they will do with the information you mailed in. 

sbwelling

Oh, ok.  I guess I will just wait it out.  Sorry, I assumed any additional forms needed in addition to my original deemed it changed/amended.  Good thing I'm not an accountant!  

An amended return to the IRS will take a long time to process, maybe 6 months so you have to wait. 

doctorj44
Returning Member

Yes. I waited until I had filed my 2019 return and paid what was due. Then I printed an amended return and sent it by certified mail to the Kansas City IRS Center. In checking on the delivery, I kept getting notifications from USPS that it had been delayed. Finally, I got a notice that the facility was currently closed for COVID issues and they would deliver as soon as it reopened. Finally, I got a notice that it had been delivered and signed for on June 16. I've checked many times since then on the IRS site and they have always been "unable to locate" my return. I just this afternoon found here on this site that I needed to go to Where I My AMENDED Return, which I did today with the same result. And all I get from the IRS website is not to call and no information about where to write with a question or to follow up. All the while, I'm missing both the the amount I paid incorrectly and refund I was supposed to get. It's been 6 months now since they received it and I can't even find out if they have it.

In normal times it takes up to 16 weeks or more to process an Amended 1040X return.  But these are not normal times.

Sorry the IRS has limited staff due to Covid-19.  They just started opening the mail in June that's been stacking up. Back in March the IRS closed their processing centers and stopped processing mailed tax returns.  An IRS spokesperson said that they have about 11 million pieces of unopened mail.  The IRS says....."We’re experiencing delays in processing paper tax returns due to limited staffing. If you already filed a paper return, we will process it in the order we received it."  So it may take longer if you mailed in June or later.   So you have to keep waiting.

See this IRS page for the latest information

https://www.irs.gov/newsroom/irs-operations-during-covid-19-mission-critical-functions-continue

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies