turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

I accidentally marked myself as dependent but no one claimed me

I was wondering will this make me unqualified for the stimulus check?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

24 Replies
AnnetteB6
Employee Tax Expert

According to the information on the IRS site, if you were claimed as a dependent or can be claimed as a dependent, then you will not be eligible for a stimulus payment.  Having checked the box on your return that you could be claimed as a dependent will disqualify you from receiving a stimulus payment.  

IRS - Economic Impact Payment

@enclaust

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

Thanks for the answer! I have already begun filing an amend tax return but that will take a long time before it can be fixed. Does this mean I will miss out entirely from the check, or will it go as tax credit for the next filing year?

JotikaT2
Employee Tax Expert

At this point in time, you would be eligible to take a credit on your 2020 return for stimulus payment that you should have received based upon your corrected 2019 tax return.

What the stimulus payment means for you

Sorry I forgot to clarify an information. Even though I did mark that I can be claimed as a dependent, I actually cannot be claimed as a dependent because I do not meet the requirements. Does this help me in anyway or am I still ineligible for the check because of this mistake?

JohnW222
Expert Alumni

No, this should negatively affect your eligibility for the stimulus payment.

Since you selected "someone else can claim me as their dependent" on your return, this indicated to the IRS that you couldn't claim yourself on your return, and you were a dependent on someone else's return.  And if you’re a dependent of someone else, you’re not eligible for the payment.

So, as you suggest, amending your original return is the way to go.

Please see the TurboTax Help article "How to amend (change or correct) a return you already filed" for instruction on how to amend your previously-filed tax return.

Hey! I was just wondering if you found out any information about this. I did the exact same thing by mistake and am amending it now. Didn’t know if we would still be able to receive the money this year.

KrisD15
Expert Alumni

Not likely, but possible. 

The stimulus check is really an advance payment of a credit for tax year 2020, so you might get it when you file your 2020 tax year return. 

This is all new, so we have to wait and see. 

Stay safe. 

I did this same exact thing, I don't understand how the system can't catch that no one claimed me.... extremely frustrating since it's not like this is taught to you unless you're a CPA. 

I filed an amendment & i was required to mail it in, now I am seeing on the IRS website that they are not accepting ANY paper filing due to Covid. What does this mean for people who needed that stimulus check?

DMarkM1
Employee Tax Expert

Your amended return will ultimately be processed and once you qualify for the stimulus payment it will be sent to you. 

The system can see that no one has claimed you at this point.  However, the system doesn't know that someone won't claim you later.  Because taxpayers can file returns all during the year and in some cases into future years, that is why the question is "Can you be claimed on someone else's return?"  If you mark "Yes" then someone may claim you at anytime for this tax year even filing later.  If you indicate you "cannot be claimed" then the issue goes away for the entire tax year.   

Best explanation I've gotten yet, finally it makes sense! Thank you. 

So few more questions... Since the IRS is not handling paper tax files currently due to Covid and there is no way to amend online completely- Is our one & only option to just wait for all this to be over for them to start processing paper files again?

I'm mostly concerned because I was relying on the stimulus check for bills. Now that I am aware I have been filing my taxes wrong, it is added stress not knowing how this is all going to be fixed. 

Will they receive the amendment or will I have to re-mail one after this mess is over? 

DMarkM1
Employee Tax Expert

No you only need to mail the amendment once.  I recommend waiting until your original return is processed (you get your refund for example).  After that you can prepare and mail in the amendment.  Here are the instructions for amending in TurboTax.   

Sorry If I was confusing- I already received my refund back in February. I was unaware that I had been filing incorrectly as a dependent after I graduated college. I sent in my amendment for 2019 yesterday in the Mail. I suppose the waiting time for that amendment to be assessed & fixed is going to be extremely long.

I marked myself as a dependent, no one claimed me, and i'm amending my taxes so i can get my full refund. I am not a dependent in any way. If i amend my taxes, should i get the small portion of the return i didn't get and get the stimulus??

bren1560

can you explain to me how you filled the 1040x. i did the same mistake but i won't let me uncheck the box =(

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies