turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

CatinaT1
Expert Alumni

How to check the status of a mailed paper return you already sent?

According to this IRS update as of April 30th:    

The IRS is now opening mail within normal timeframes. The IRS has also made significant progress in processing prior year returns. As of April 23, 2021, we had 1.3 million individual tax returns received prior to 2021 in the processing pipeline. Including current year returns, as of April 23, 2021, we had 16.9 million unprocessed individual returns in the pipeline. Unprocessed returns include those requiring correction to the Recovery Rebate Credit amount or validation of 2019 income used to figure the Earned Income Tax Credit (EITC) and Additional Child Tax Credit (ACTC). This work does not require us to correspond with taxpayers but does require special handling by an IRS employee so, in these instances, it is taking the IRS more than 21 days to issue any related refund. If, as a result, a correction is made to any RRC, EITC or ACTC claimed on the return, the IRS will send taxpayers an explanation. Taxpayers are encouraged to continue to check Where’s My Refund? for their personalized refund status and can review Tax Season Refund Frequently Asked Questions.  

How long you may have to wait: The IRS understands the importance of timely processing of tax returns and refund issuance. We are processing returns received over the summer and fall in 2020 due to the extended July 15, 2020 tax filing due date. While the majority of 2019 refund returns have been processed, in some cases, we are processing tax returns that were mailed with a payment even though payment associated with these returns have been processed by the IRS. However, we are rerouting tax returns and taxpayer correspondence from locations that are behind to locations where more staff is available, and we are taking other actions to minimize any delays. Tax returns are opened in the order received. As the return is processed, it may be delayed because it has a mistake including errors concerning the Recovery Rebate Credit, is missing information, or there is suspected identity theft or fraud. If we can fix it without contacting you, we will. If we need more information or need you to verify that it was you who sent the tax return, we will write you a letter. The resolution of these issues depends on how quickly and accurately you respond, and the ability of IRS staff trained and working under social distancing requirements to complete the processing of your return.  

What you should do: If you filed electronically and received an acknowledgement, you do not need to take any further action other than promptly responding to any requests for information. If you filed on paper, check Where’s my refund? If it tells you we have received your return or are processing or reviewing it, we are processing your return, but it may be under review. We’re working hard to get through the backlog. Please don’t file a second tax return or contact the IRS about the status of your return.  

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
lzepper701
Returning Member

I'm concerned because it's been over 8 weeks since the return was mailed.  I don't know how long to wait until I think it's lost in the mail.  I check "Check MY Refund" on a daily basis.  I lost the ability to track because of a glitch with the  zip code and it became a manual sort.  As far as I know, it was actually mailed correctly on 2/18/21.  How much longer do I wait until I need to send another one?

It is a refund. I understand the delay, but how do I know if the IRS even got it?  That's my concern, not the money. 

Lynn

CatinaT1
Expert Alumni

According to this IRS update as of April 30th:    

The IRS is now opening mail within normal timeframes. The IRS has also made significant progress in processing prior year returns. As of April 23, 2021, we had 1.3 million individual tax returns received prior to 2021 in the processing pipeline. Including current year returns, as of April 23, 2021, we had 16.9 million unprocessed individual returns in the pipeline. Unprocessed returns include those requiring correction to the Recovery Rebate Credit amount or validation of 2019 income used to figure the Earned Income Tax Credit (EITC) and Additional Child Tax Credit (ACTC). This work does not require us to correspond with taxpayers but does require special handling by an IRS employee so, in these instances, it is taking the IRS more than 21 days to issue any related refund. If, as a result, a correction is made to any RRC, EITC or ACTC claimed on the return, the IRS will send taxpayers an explanation. Taxpayers are encouraged to continue to check Where’s My Refund? for their personalized refund status and can review Tax Season Refund Frequently Asked Questions.  

How long you may have to wait: The IRS understands the importance of timely processing of tax returns and refund issuance. We are processing returns received over the summer and fall in 2020 due to the extended July 15, 2020 tax filing due date. While the majority of 2019 refund returns have been processed, in some cases, we are processing tax returns that were mailed with a payment even though payment associated with these returns have been processed by the IRS. However, we are rerouting tax returns and taxpayer correspondence from locations that are behind to locations where more staff is available, and we are taking other actions to minimize any delays. Tax returns are opened in the order received. As the return is processed, it may be delayed because it has a mistake including errors concerning the Recovery Rebate Credit, is missing information, or there is suspected identity theft or fraud. If we can fix it without contacting you, we will. If we need more information or need you to verify that it was you who sent the tax return, we will write you a letter. The resolution of these issues depends on how quickly and accurately you respond, and the ability of IRS staff trained and working under social distancing requirements to complete the processing of your return.  

What you should do: If you filed electronically and received an acknowledgement, you do not need to take any further action other than promptly responding to any requests for information. If you filed on paper, check Where’s my refund? If it tells you we have received your return or are processing or reviewing it, we are processing your return, but it may be under review. We’re working hard to get through the backlog. Please don’t file a second tax return or contact the IRS about the status of your return.  

lzepper701
Returning Member

This is the same answer I received before-  My question was not answered. How long must I wait before I assume it is lost in the mail and IRS never received it? 

gates57
Returning Member

I mailed my 2019 to the IRS to resolved a problem, that some one had claimed my dependent. I had to call the IRS to Identify that I was Edna Gates. I passed cause I had everything they needed to see if it was me. I kept calling but no responds they kept telling to wait so many day and months still waiting. I did received a payment of $297.00 . So why are you guys continuing to  email about my mailed returned do I have money waiting for me .Just thought I ask. Have a Blessed Day 

@gates57 A long time ago you posted a question to a thread in the TurboTax user forum about your mailed return.   As of now, over 140 posts have been added to the thread.   Since you are one of the users who posted to this thread, whenever someone posts something, you are updated on the thread.   The replies you are seeing are not for you personally----anyone who posted to this long thread is getting updates.  It does not mean there is money still waiting for you.    

**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**
rwstalder

Was my 2020 tax return mailed to the IRS in Kansas City in March 2021 received

@rwstalder wrote:

Was my 2020 tax return mailed to the IRS in Kansas City in March 2021 received

TurboTax would have no information on a mailed tax return.  If you did not use a tracking service from the US Post Office when you mailed your 2020 federal income tax return then you have no way to know if the return was received by the IRS.

Hstar
Returning Member

Exactly what I would like to know! My return was mailed over 13 weeks ago certified mail. However we all know how well usps keeps up with scanning and updates. According to tracking it never left the PO I mailed it from, but the state got theirs. I mean the money would be great right now but I'm more concerned with what do I need to do...did they get it, did they not get... Where is my return is all I want to know. How do I get to talk to a person and not hung up on by an automated system!

DawnC
Expert Alumni

Here is a link to a thread that details how to go through the automated phone prompts to reach a live representative.  The steps may save you some frustration.   You can also search for a local IRS office in your area.  It may be easier to contact a local representative than using the main phone number.    You can use the ''make an appointment'' option even if you have no intention of going to the office, but that may get you a live person on the phone that can provide you some info.   They have access to the same information.     @Hstar

Ra43

Has my return been mailed to me

Your return or your refund?  

Did you efile? Was it Accepted?

You can check your efile status here,
https://turbotax.intuit.com/tax-tools/efile-status-lookup

When you efile you get back 2 emails. The first email only confirms the transmission. The second email says if the IRS (or state) Accepted or Rejected your efile. Check your spam or Junk folder.

When you log into your account you should also see the status and if it was Accepted or Rejected, Started, Printed, Ready to Mail, etc. What does it say?

Looking for your Refund?  

You are not alone. Millions are still waiting. Turbo Tax only gives you an estimated date. The IRS usually pays most refunds within 21 days. But these are not normal times. This year is taking the IRS longer to send the refunds. There are millions more people filing returns to get the Stimulus payment.

See this news article on Refunds being delayed
https://www.msn.com/en-us/money/personalfinance/where-is-my-damn-irs-tax-refund-new-answers-emerge-a...

Only the IRS can tell you. If your return was Accepted then check IRS Where's my refund
https://www.irs.gov/refunds/

When will you get your refund?
https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/refund-status/help/when-will-i-get-my-irs-tax-refund/01/25589

IRS - Questions about Refunds
https://www.irs.gov/refunds/tax-season-refund-frequently-asked-questions

cheims

Can you please help explain how to get in touch with someone from the IRS? The Get My Refund tool has been extremely unhelpful, and just tells me they "cannot provide any status on your refund." For reference, it has been 11 weeks since I paper-filed, and I have not even been able to verify that they have received it.

@cheims wrote:

Can you please help explain how to get in touch with someone from the IRS? The Get My Refund tool has been extremely unhelpful, and just tells me they "cannot provide any status on your refund." For reference, it has been 11 weeks since I paper-filed, and I have not even been able to verify that they have received it.

The IRS will take months to process a 2020 mailed tax return.

The IRS is seriously behind in processing 2020 tax returns.  This is due to many factors, such as the pandemic, completing processing of millions of 2019 tax returns, stimulus payments, unemployment compensation exclusion tax refunds., changes in the tax code by Congress in the middle of the 2020 tax season and the like.

Millions of taxpayers have not yet received there federal tax refunds.

Go to this IRS website for operational status - https://www.irs.gov/newsroom/irs-operations-during-covid-19-mission-critical-functions-continue

As of June 23, 2021, we had 17.5 million unprocessed individual returns in the pipeline. Unprocessed returns include tax year 2020 returns such as those requiring correction to the Recovery Rebate Credit amount or validation of 2019 income used to figure the Earned Income Tax Credit (EITC) and Additional Child Tax Credit (ACTC). This work does not require us to correspond with taxpayers but does require special handling by an IRS employee so, in these instances, it is taking the IRS more than 21 days to issue any related refund. If, as a result, a correction is made to any RRC, EITC or ACTC claimed on the return, the IRS will send taxpayers an explanation. Taxpayers are encouraged to continue to check Where’s My Refund? for their personalized refund status and can review Tax Season Refund Frequently Asked Questions.

What you should do: If you filed electronically and received an acknowledgement, you do not need to take any further action other than promptly responding to any requests for information. If you filed on paper, check Where’s my refund? If it tells you we have received your return or are processing or reviewing it, we are processing your return, but it may be under review. We’re working hard to get through the backlog. Please don’t file a second tax return or contact the IRS about the status of your return.

cheims

Thank you DoninGA for the quick reply!

It is helpful to know that several million are in the situation and this may be a result of backlog with the IRS. However, the recommendation supplied mentioned that if the IRS has received my submission, the status in "Where's my refund" should show that it is in progress. As I mentioned, I am instead getting a response from their website showing they "cannot provide any status on your refund," which worries me that it has not been processed because it has been lost or misplaced rather than just working its way through the queue.

Is there some other method of confirming that my paper filing from April has at least been received, and then is presumably part of the backlog of other returns? The only guidance from your reply and from the IRS site assumes I am getting a response that is different than what I have been provided, and no guidance is given for what action to take next if the "Where's My Refund" tool is not able to provide a response.

Thanks again!

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies