turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

kiss4me2

How does TurboTax deduct their fees from my tax return?

Do they automatically come out before posting to my bank account, or do I need to like call and pay them
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

26 Replies

@kiss4me2 

If you choose to pay your TurboTax fees out of your Federal refund, the tax refund deposit you receive in your bank account (or card) should have the fees already subtracted, unless there is a problem that I describe in a paragraph below.   You cannot pay fees out of any state refund.

When you choose to pay any TurboTax fees out of your Federal refund, you agree for a third-party company to set up a temporary bank account in your name to receive your funds.   When the IRS releases your funds, the IRS sends the refund to the temporary account at the intermediary bank where the fees are subtracted.   Then that intermediary bank sends the rest of your funds to your bank account (or card) in a second direct deposit.   The company that handles that is called SBTPG (Santa Barbara Tax Products Group.)

If your refund is delayed at the IRS for an unusually long time, or if the IRS reduces your refund such that it is no longer enough to cover the fees, TurboTax would then send you emails asking for payment.  If not paid, they ultimately notify you that they are about to debit your bank account, and then do so if not paid.

There is a $40 service fee if you choose that payment method ($45 for California filers where it is bundled with "Premium Services.")    If you haven't already chosen that payment method and filed, you'll avoid that fee if you pay instead by credit/debit card or a prepaid debit card you can buy in a store.

You wrote:   "How does TurboTax deduct their fees from my tax return?  Do they automatically come out before posting to my bank account, or do I need to like call and pay them?"
What prompted your question--were you just needing general information like I provided in my full answer above?  Why were you asking if you need to call and pay them?    Has your Federal refund been delayed or reduced at the IRS, and has TurboTax started sending you emails asking for payment?
If so, see this FAQ and expand all the sections:
kiss4me2

It was just a general question. I've never done it before and was curious if they would deduct their money before it was credited to my bank account or if I had to pay them like on my own. It says it's taken from my federal refund, so I was curious if the amount going to my bank is the amount after they take out their fees, or if they take out their fees after it goes to my bank. 

As I mentioned above, with the "pay out of refund" option  TurboTax takes out your fees before it gets to you unless there's a problem.  When it comes to your bank from the intermediary bank, the fees should already be taken out.   When you receive your refund, do the math and see if the fees were taken out, including the $40 service fee and any sales tax.   You refund amount prior to the fees is shown on your Federal Form 1040, Line 21a.

LuhhAntt00
Returning Member

Does the same apply if i chose to have my return mailed to me ? 

LuhhAntt00
Returning Member

@mesquitebean If i chose to have my return mailed paper check does turbo tax do the same thing and the intermediate bank send me a paper check as I requested ?

@ LuhhAntt00  wrote:

If i chose to have my return mailed paper check does turbo tax do the same thing and the intermediate bank send me a paper check as I requested ?

This thread is about paying TurboTax product fees out of the Federal refund--an option which requires efiling the return and a direct deposit of the Federal refund.

If you chose to have a Federal refund come to you as a paper check in postal mail, then it's not possible to pay any TurboTax fees out of a check, so no intermediary bank is needed.    When a paper check is requested for the Federal refund, the IRS mails paper checks directly to the address on the return without using any intermediary bank.

LuhhAntt00
Returning Member

@mesquitebean Ok answer me this. How come when i use the irs tracking tool it says my refund is on its way to a bank when i chose a check should i be worried ? Or it is just saying its going to a bank and i get a check ?

If you choose to have the TT fees withheld from the federal refund then the refund is sent to the processing bank where they take the TT fees & their fee for the service  and the balance of the refund is either direct deposited to your bank account or debit card   OR   a new TT debit card is issued.   Getting  a paper check mailed from the processing bank was not one of the options you could choose from.   Save a PDF of the return with all the worksheets to see what options you choose ...

After a return has been efiled and  accepted, it can sometimes take a return PDF a while to update and become available at the Tax Home.   If you can't use the Download/print button at the Tax Home or the "Download/print the PDF" link in the section "Your Tax Returns & Documents", or if you're getting incomplete documents when you use one of those methods, here's an alternate way to print by opening the filed return back up to print at the Print Center.

NOTE:  When you open your return back up, do not make any changes in it if it's already been filed.  If you later have to amend the return, it has to start off exactly as it was when it was originally filed.

• Log in and at the Tax Home or in the section "Your Tax Returns & Documents" for 2019, look for a link "Add a State."
  • Click on "Add a State."  (you don't really add one.  That's just to open your return back up.)
  • After the return is open, click in the left menu column on TAX TOOLS, then PRINT CENTER.
  • Then choose "Print, save, view this year's return."
  • The next screen should offer some options:  "Just my tax returns", or "include government worksheets (optional)", or "include government and TurboTax worksheets (optional.)"
  • See if one of those PDFs has what you need.  The latter has the most pages.

NOTE:  Remember all PDF tax documents and tax data files are very sensitive files, since they contain your personal ID info, financial data, and possibly bank account numbers, etc.  Be sure to store them safely and securely to guard against computer theft, hacking, etc.

LuhhAntt00
Returning Member

@Critter-3 Yeah I understand all of that but i never put any card information in on turbotax when i filed my taxes so i don’t understand how there’s a account and routing number for where my money is about to go i dont even have the card they have on file i dont even know what kind of card or bank is handling my money right now. I chose to have my return mailed so im so confused on why my refund has to be sent to a bank when that wasn’t my option 

Ok ... so you choose to MAIL in your return ???    Did you print, ink sign and mail it in yourself ? 

LuhhAntt00
Returning Member

@Critter-3 Nah man i used TurboTax and e filed never asked me for card info i chose to have my return mailed to me by check. I just so happen to go check my 1040 and there was a random routing and account number that i dont know of so i didnt know if TurboTax did that to withdraw there fees from me or if the irs is putting my return on a card and sending it that way 🤦🏾‍♂️ It’s confusing this my first year filing so i dont know

Please use the following link to contact Customer Support for further assistance.

https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/using-turbotax/help/what-is-the-turbotax-phone-number/00/25632

This is my first  time paying fees. I was charge 3x's in fees. Which I should have been able to do my taxes for $0 because I make under $30,000 a year. But instead as I was doing my refund it made me sign up for the deluxe passage for $39.99. now I don't understand this process, because they charged me $39 3x's. 1 for state, 2nd one for federal, and the 3rd one for taking the money out of my refund. So how does this work? Do I get any of that fee back?

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies