Open TurboTax

Why sign in to the Community?

  • Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes
Still need to file? Our experts can get your taxes done right. Get started >
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
New Member

How do i switch from long form to short form

1 Reply
Level 15

How do i switch from long form to short form

Are you using Deluxe?   That's what is displayed by your screen name above.  The Deluxe Edition you appear to be in can prepare a Form 1040, a 1040A, or 1040EZ, depending on what your situation calls for.  In other words, it prepares both the "long form" and the "short form" depending on what you require.
Deluxe is 39.99 for Federal and 36.99 for State.  But prices will rise after 2/28 if not paid in advance.

By "short form" are you actually asking how to switch to one of the free products?   TurboTax has 2 free products.

The regular Free Edition currently has an Absolute Zero promotion, which is free for both Federal and State returns for filers who can use Form 1040A or 1040EZ.   The Absolute Zero promotion will expire soon, when there will then be a fee for a State return.

If you don't need Deluxe and can file a simple return using Form 1040A or 1040EZ, you can downgrade to regular Free Edition if you haven't already paid or registered.  Here's how to downgrade:

In addition to the regular Free Edition, TurboTax also has another free product called the FREEDOM Edition (not to be confused with the regular Free Edition).  It has free Federal preparation AND free State preparation. There is no efiling fee.

The Freedom Edition is more fully-featured than the regular Free Edition.  The Freedom Edition can prepare Schedule A, C, D, E, F and enter K-1 that the Free Edition cannot.  It will prepare a Form 1040 return, or 1040A or 1040EZ.

For Freedom Edition a user needs to meet only ONE of these qualifications:

  • AGI of $33,000 or less
  • or active duty military (including Reservists and National Guard) with a military-issued W-2 and a 2017 AGI of $66,000 or less
  • or eligible for the Earned Income Credit (EIC aka EITC).

The FREEDOM Edition is located at the following site:

Here's how to switch and start over in Freedom Edition (requires new account at the Freedom website)

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
message box icon

Ready to start your taxes?

Hand off your taxes, get expert help, or do it yourself.

See Pricing
Manage cookies