How do I switch to TurboTax Freedom Edition?
If you try to sign in to the TurboTax Freedom Edition site using an existing TurboTax Online login, you will continue in the TurboTax Online version you're trying to abandon.
This is by design. The TurboTax Online and Freedom Edition website sites must be kept separate per IRS Free File Alliance regulations.
To switch, you'll need to start over with a new TurboTax account login.
How to switch
Before you do anything, sign out of any TurboTax accounts you're currently signed in to. It also wouldn't hurt to close any windows or tabs after signing out.
Then, follow these instructions.
- Go to the TurboTax Freedom Edition website.
- Click See if you qualify and answer the questions.
- If you qualify, you'll see a Start Now button. Click it.
- You won't see this button if you don't qualify for Freedom Edition.
- Fill out the information on the Create your TurboTax account screen.
- Do not sign in with existing account credentials, or you'll be back to the TurboTax Online version you're already using.
- After you click the Create Account button, TurboTax Freedom Edition will open. As mentioned earlier, you'll need to start a new return.