Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

molesdam

How do I separate my federal and state returns in the PDF so I can print one and not the other and also save each to a separate destination?

I have to email myself my state return so I can take it to Office Depot for them to print so I can submit by mail to the state.  I do not want to print the Federal return to avoid the cost since it was submitted electronically.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

How do I separate my federal and state returns in the PDF so I can print one and not the other and also save each to a separate destination?

Click on File.  Click on Print/Save for your records.  Click on the Save a PDF button.  On the Form Selection pop-up window select All official forms for filingUncheck Federal 2018 tax return.  Only the 2018 state tax return should be checked.  Click on the Save as PDF button.  The Save As window will open where you can change the name and location of the PDF that will be saved.

View solution in original post

4 Replies

Click on File.  Click on Print/Save for your records.  Click on the Save a PDF button.  On the Form Selection pop-up window select All official forms for filingUncheck Federal 2018 tax return.  Only the 2018 state tax return should be checked.  Click on the Save as PDF button.  The Save As window will open where you can change the name and location of the PDF that will be saved.

Sorry, but that does not really work. If I select one of the several states I'm filing in, Turbotax apparently lumps all the pdf state returns together. Fortunately, it at least does exclude the federal return when I uncheck the federal return. It seems to me that the TurboTax developer team thought that so few people file in more than one state that they didn't bother checking to see if this feature is working properly.

Developers: You really need to get feedback from your users.

However, many of us work and file in more than one state in a given tax year. That's just the reality of modern life.

When you are printing from a file saved as a pdf, you can choose exactly which pages you want to print, by page numbers.   If you do not want to print all of the state returns you do not have to print them all.

**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**

Simply save a PDF of just the state return you want to print and give the file a name you can easily find. Then save that file with just that state on it to a thumb drive and take it to the office supply store for printing. 

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies