Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

How do I confirm that the IRS received my paper mailed tax return?

I mailed in my 2019 1040 tax return last year. Wondering if received. Never received a balance owe statement. Wondering if I will receive the stimulus check. Please email me results ASAP. Thank You, Kim Yager

Irene2805
Expert Alumni

The IRS does not issue acknowledgements of paper filed returns.  If you had a balance due, did you include a payment with your return?  If so, was the check cashed?

To contact the IRS, please review the steps and information below:

IRS Support Number: (800) 829-1040

To reach a live agent at the IRS support number, follow these steps:

1.      Select your preferred language.

2.      Press 2 for “Personal Income Tax”

3.      Press 1 for “Form, Tax History, or Payment”

4.      Press 3 for “All Other Questions”

5.      Press 2 for “All Other Questions”

6.      Do not enter your SSN or EIN. It will ask you twice; do not enter anything.

7.      Press 2 for “Personal or Individual Tax Questions”

They are available Monday through Friday, from 7:00 a.m. to 7:00 p.m. local time (Alaska & Hawaii follow Pacific Time).

Some additional resources you can try are listed below:

1. Contact a local IRS office.  Click this link for contact information:  Contact Your Local IRS Office
  2. The Taxpayer Advocate Service (TAS), which is an independent organization within the IRS. Click this link  Taxpayer Advocate Service (TAS)

No one at TurboTax can find out if the IRS received a tax return that you mailed to the IRS.   When you mail a tax return  (or anything else) to the IRS you should use certified mail or some sort of mailing service that will track it so you will know it was received.  The IRS does not tell TurboTax anything about your return after it has been filed.

If you owed tax due and did not pay it at the time you mailed the tax return, your penalties and interest have been adding up since July 15, 2020.   Only your own bank account or credit card records can prove that you paid your tax due.

We cannot see your information so we do not know about your eligibility for a stimulus check.

https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/tax-topics/help/how-will-the-stimulus-package-impact-me/01/1393859...

**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**

How do I know if the it's received my 1040, I'm on disability

Did you mail it or efile?  If you mailed it the only way to know is if you got a tracking number from the post office.

If you efiled.  

Did you go all the way through the File tab, through the 3 steps and hit the big orange Transmit Returns Now button?

You can check your efile status here     

https://turbotax.intuit.com/tax-tools/efile-status-lookup/   

When you efile you get back 2 emails.  The first email only confirms the transmission.  The second email says if the IRS (or state) Accepted or Rejected your efile.

When you log into your account you should also see the status and if it was Accepted or Rejected, Started, Printed, Ready to Mail, etc.  What does it say?

Did IRS  receive my mail in tax forms?

@Downpost79 wrote:

Did IRS  receive my mail in tax forms?

TurboTax would have no knowledge about the status of a mailed tax return.  Did you use a tracking service from the US post office when the return was mailed?

How can I find out if the IRS received my tax paper or not

@Joannsmithlee 

MAILED RETURNS

Per the IRS:

COVID-19 Mail Processing Delays

It’s taking us longer to process mailed documents including:

• Paper tax returns, and
  • All tax return related correspondence.

We are processing all mail in the order we received it.

Do not file a second tax return or call the IRS.

It can take 3-4 weeks  (or longer since the IRS is backlogged) for anything to show up on the IRS site when you mail a tax return.  Expect 6-8 weeks for complete processing of a mailed return.

If  you mail a tax return (or a payment) to the IRS, it is a good idea to use a mailing service that will track it like UPS or certified mail so you will know it was received.

When you mail a tax return, you need to attach any documents showing tax withheld, such as your W-2’s or any 1099’s. 

TurboTax will not know anything about your mailed return, and will continue to show “Ready to Mail” on your account.  TurboTax will not know that you put your tax return in an envelope and took it to a mailbox.  TurboTax does not get updates on mailed  (or e-filed) returns.

When the IRS opens its mail and begins to process mailed returns you can check the status on the IRS site. https://www.irs.gov/refunds

State returns have to be mailed to the state.

https://ttlc.intuit.com/questions/1899433-how-do-i-track-my-state-refund

**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**
aaronlpu

I mailed in my tax return late in Feb. and every time I try to check on it they basically say I don't exist. I gave them all the information they ask for and they don't have any record of me. I used "where is my refund". 

JotikaT2
Employee Tax Expert

It probably hasn't been processed yet.  The IRS has been trying to catch up on the tax returns filed in 2019 as well as dealing with tax law changes during the tax season. 

Therefore, you will have to wait a bit longer for them to process your return.

Why is my refund taking longer to process

@aaronlpu

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
markthom7

How do I confirm that the irs received my paper filing and the status of my filing

@markthom7 wrote:

How do I confirm that the irs received my paper filing and the status of my filing

The IRS does not provided confirmation that they received a tax return.

If you did not use a tracking service from the US Post Office when mailing the tax return you will not know if the IRS ever received the tax return.

If you are owed a federal tax refund the status will be available on the IRS website - https://www.irs.gov/refunds

If you have federal taxes owed and paid the taxes, the proof of payment will be your canceled check, bank or credit card statement, depending how you selected to pay the taxes owed.

HOW TO DO I DETERMINE IF IRS RECEIVED MY 2010 INCOME TAX FORMS

@RSHAGOGUE213 wrote:

HOW TO DO I DETERMINE IF IRS RECEIVED MY 2010 INCOME TAX FORMS

No way that I know of.   2010 is 11 years ago and the IRS only maintains tax records for 7 years and so does TurboTax.  Why are you concerned about 2010 now?

**Disclaimer: This post is for discussion purposes only and is NOT tax advice. The author takes no responsibility for the accuracy of any information in this post.**
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies