turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

tellebb76

How can I recover a deleted tax return?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

227 Replies

You will have to explain in more detail.

What TurboTax program did you use to create the tax return?  Online web based editions?  Desktop software installed on your personal computer?

What tax year?

An tax return created, completed and filed using the TurboTax online editions cannot be deleted once it has been filed.

Or paid for in the online version.  Could you maybe have another account?  That's common.

bassiliap

I USED THE 2018 HOME AND BUSINESS TURBO TAX THAT WAS INSTALLED ON MY PERSONAL COMPUTER

PLEASE ASSIST ME TO RECOVER A TAX FILE THAT WAS ACCIDENTALLY DELETED OR REMOVED FOR 2018  

bassiliap

ONLINE WEB BASE EDITION THAT WAS DOWNLOADED TO MY PERSONAL COMPUTER

EDITION  2018 HOME AND BUSINESS  

@bassiliap wrote:

I USED THE 2018 HOME AND BUSINESS TURBO TAX THAT WAS INSTALLED ON MY PERSONAL COMPUTER

PLEASE ASSIST ME TO RECOVER A TAX FILE THAT WAS ACCIDENTALLY DELETED OR REMOVED FOR 2018  

The only way you could have deleted the tax file on a Windows based personal computer is to open the Documents directory, open the TurboTax folder, highlight one of the tax data files listed and deleted the file.

The deleted file would be in the Recycle Bin where the file can be restored.  Or if you emptied the Recycle Bin that included that file, then it is permanently gone.

If the above did not happen then search for the tax data file on the hard drive of your computer.  The tax data file has a file extension of .tax2018.

You need to have the file ending in .tax2018 or the pdf file saved on your computer or backup.  Are you on Windows or Mac?  Did you search your whole computer for all files ending in .tax?  Look in the Recycle Bin or trash.  Check in One Drive, Drop Box etc.  it should be in your Documents then in the Turbo Tax folder.  Check your backups.

If you don't have the main .tax file you might have one that starts with a Tilde sign ~ like

"~your name.tax2018".  That file is if your computer crashes or your real file gets lost or deleted or corrupt so you can restore it.

Try this......start the program.  Then go up to File-Open and see if it finds your file.

My hard drive crashed and I lost my turbo tax file. Can I reinstall it from turbo tax?

My hard drive on my desk top crashed and I lost my turbo tax files for 2016, 2017 and 2018.  Can I get the files from turbo tax?

@richfleish wrote:

My hard drive crashed and I lost my turbo tax file. Can I reinstall it from turbo tax?

If you did not have a back up copy of the tax data file then it cannot be recovered.

If you used the desktop CD/Download editions installed on your computer, the only copy of your tax data file and any PDF's will be on the computer where the return was created.  TurboTax does not store online any returns completed using the desktop editions.

If you need the TurboTax software and you purchased the software from TurboTax as a download then it will be in your download account for up to three years from the date of purchase.  You can download the TurboTax installation file at any time, for any reason at no charge - https://shopping.turbotax.intuit.com/unified/downloads?route=myaccounts

If you purchased a CD of the TurboTax software then you will need to contact TurboTax support and see if the support agent will push an installation file to your download account at no charge.

Support is open from 5am to 5pm Pacific time, Monday thru Friday

Use this website to contact TurboTax support during business hours - https://support.turbotax.intuit.com/contact/
Support can also be reached by messaging them on these pages https://www.facebook.com/turbotax/ and https://twitter.com/TeamTurboTax

jerryjmh

I used turbo tax delux

jerryjmh

I used turbotax delux on my PC . I used the CD

jerryjmh

@jerryjmh wrote:

I used turbotax delux on my PC . I used the CD

If you deleted the tax data file there is no way to recover that file.

Read all the answers above.  You need the tax data file ending in.tax2018 to open in the program.  Or at least a pdf copy to view your return.  Search your whole computer and backups.  Look in the Recycle Bin.  Are you on Windows 10?  Check the One Drive folder.

Manage cookies