Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Event: Ask the Experts about your refund > RSVP NOW!
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

oliverdicko
Returning Member

Filing tax returns for my granddaughters.

I have used TurboTax for many, many years.   We currently have two granddaughters, aged 21 and 20, living with us.   The 20-year old filed her 2018 taxes, and has In fact received her refund.  However, the 21 year old has not yet filed either her 2017 or her 2018 income taxes.  How do I help her do that?  Do I merely sign into my account, then enter her personal data and have her complete the filing, and sign the two filings...or what?  Appreciate our assistance and direction.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

6 Replies

A TurboTax online account is only good for one return per fee. So she cannot use your account and user ID to prepare a return or it will overwrite your own return--then your return would be lost.   And you can only use online TurboTax for a 2018 return.  

If your grandchild needs to file 2017 and 2018 returns, she needs her own account and user ID if she wants to use online software.  A 2018 return can still be e-filed until October 15, 2019; after that it has to be printed, signed and mailed.

As for 2017,

Online preparation and e-filing for 2017 is permanently closed.

To file a return for a prior tax year

If you need to prepare a return for 2015, 2016, or 2017 you can purchase and download desktop software to do it, then print, sign,  and mail the return(s)

https://turbotax.intuit.com/personal-taxes/past-years-products/

Remember to prepare your state return as well—if you live in a state that has a state income tax.

When you mail a tax return, you need to attach any documents showing tax withheld, such as your W-2’s or any 1099’s.  Use a mailing service that will track it, such as UPS or certified mail so you will know the IRS/state received the return.

Note:  The desktop software you need to prepare the prior year return must be installed/downloaded to a full PC or Mac.  It cannot be used on a mobile device.

**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**

An option for her 2018 return  (if she qualifies) might be the FREEDOM Edition..  It will prepare both free Federal and in 23 states, a Free State return (the other states were 14.99 last year).   It can handle all the typical forms and schedules; in fact, it is more fully-featured than Deluxe.

The Freedom Edition is more fully-featured than the regular Free Edition.  The Freedom Edition can prepare Schedule A, C, D, E, and F that the Free Edition cannot.  

A user needs to meet only ONE of these qualifications:

• AGI of $33,000 or less
  • or active duty military (including Reservists and National Guard) with a military-issued W-2 and a 2017 family AGI of $66,000 or less
  • or eligible for EIC (Earned Income Credit.)

The FREEDOM Edition is located at:
https://turbotax.intuit.com/taxfreedom 

How to switch and start over (requires new account at the Freedom website)
https://ttlc.intuit.com/questions/2026912-how-do-i-switch-to-turbotax-freedom-edition

traffic82
Returning Member

Can my grand kids use my computer to file their income taxes?

If you have the CD/download software then you can allow your grandchildren to use your computer and your TT software to file their returns if you want to.   With the CD/download you get up to five federal e-files.   If you have the state software for one specific state they can also prepare and e-file up to five state returns---but there is a $25 state e-file fee for each state return that is e-filed from your computer.   You can have them print, sign and mail their state returns to avoid the e-file fee.

If you are using online TurboTax ----the answer is different for letting your grandkids use your account.  When you use online TurboTax you pay for each return. 

Each return needs its own account and user ID.   If you use the same account and user ID for a second return, you overwrite the first one and lose it forever.

https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/using-turbotax/help/how-do-i-start-another-return-in-turbotax-onli...

If your grandkids have very simple returns they may be able to use Free Edition---but if they have anything at all that requires the use of the extra schedules 1, 2, or 3 that are part of a Form 1040 they will need to use a paid version of the software.

Or-----they might be able to use Free File:

Try Free File: 

You qualify if your income was $39,000 or less, or $72,000 or less if active duty military, or if you qualify for Earned Income Credit

https://ttlc.intuit.com/questions/1900583-what-is-turbotax-free-file-program

Note:  If you do not qualify to use Free File then you will have to upgrade to Deluxe or higher in the paid versions of the software.   

Online Deluxe $40  State software $40

Or—-Use this IRS site for other ways to file for free

https://apps.irs.gov/app/freeFile/

**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**

We can not access my grandaughter's tax return we started earlier. We worked on it yesterday.  Please help. She is on my email account [email address removed]. She did 2020 taxes and has started 2021

MichelleLO
Intuit Alumni

You can use the Account Recovery Request form in the below TurboTax FAQ to assist you with getting back into her account.

Account Recovery Request for your TurboTax Account

@ZoeNealHay

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies