Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Event: Ask the Experts about your refund > RSVP NOW!
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

RD_S
Returning Member

Federal refund amount slightly larger

This time my federal tax return took a little longer to process (submitted on July 15 and got the deposit on Aug. 5).  However, I did get my refund.  But, it is slightly larger than what I had requested -- by approximately $33.  It has been nearly two weeks since and I haven't gotten any correspondence from IRS.  What should I do?

Thanks.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

7 Replies

The IRS just sent out the following news release today.

13.9 million Americans to receive IRS tax refund interest

More than likely that is the interest paid by the IRS for the late federal tax refund.

IRS website for information - https://www.irs.gov/newsroom/irs-statement-on-interest-payments

Interest on individual 2019 refunds reflected on returns filed by July 15, 2020 will generally be paid from April 15, 2020 until the date of the refund. Interest payments may be received separately from the refund. By law, the interest rate on both overpayment and underpayment of tax is adjusted quarterly. The interest rate for the second quarter, ending on June 30, 2020, is 5% per year, compounded daily. The interest rate for the third quarter, ending September 30, 2020, is 3% per year, compounded daily.

Be sure to remember to enter the interest into your return next year as it will be taxable interest income.

RD_S
Returning Member

Thanks for the info, all.  From the IRS news release, looks like they will be sending a 1099-INT for the interest.

Is there a way for me to find out if this is indeed the case?  I didn't get two separate deposits.  Just one with the slightly larger amount.

RD_S
Returning Member

I just did the calcs and based on the 5% interest until June and the 3% interest effective July 1 (both compounded daily).  The final tax refund I calculated was close to the amount I received.  Looks like this was the interest then.  Thanks again!

It would surely be comforting to get a notice from the IRS saying that the interest was bundled in, especially given that my return took unusually longer (3 weeks) this year to process.

You will in January so don't be shocked to see an IRS letter in the mail telling you to remember the interest is taxable so you must report it on the return ... seems ironic. 

RD_S
Returning Member

Thanks.  Yes, it is strange.  I suppose this will be just like my state tax refund which I got taxed on again (which reminds me, I should review my W-4).

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies